“Just what I was looking for”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Grantly Hotel

Grantly Hotel
Ranked #679 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Just what I was looking for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Like a number of other reviewers I was looking for a reasonably priced room for one night as close as possible to the Shepherds Bush Empire. The Grantly couldn't be more convenient! It's only 200 yards away. I booked a single room and I was very impressed with it. It was quite small but it had everything I needed, including a spotless en-suite shower room. Breakfast was quite basic but it was served in a bright, cheerful manner by friendly staff. When I go up London again I wouldn't hesitate to book a room here again. All in all I had a great time.

Room Tip: I had room number 21. Although it's near reception it was very quiet until breakfast time.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I booked this hotel simply because it was VERY convenient for the Shepherds Bush Empire as I was attending a concert there and didn't really fancy trying to cross London at night! To be honest I wasn't expecting much at all - but I was very pleasantly surprised - the single room (no 23) was off the landing on the stairs and at first sight didn't appear to have a bathroom, but upon exploring (as much as one CAN explore a small single room) I found a shower, toilet and washbasin nicely tucked into what looked like a cupboard in the corner. I have no idea how they managed to install them into that space - built the walls afterwards or something! And I'm glad that my waist line isn't too large as it might have been interesting squeezing past. But everything was there - and was nicely done up.

Tea & coffee were provided as was a small fridge. TV and lights and wall mounted fans as you would expect. No trouser press - I've never felt the need to use a trouser press in any hotel I've ever stayed in, but if this important to you then perhaps you need to make alternative "trouser pressing" arrangements....

I thought there might have been quite a lot of night noise, but it was very quiet indeed - certainly compared to the last place I stayed in London (but the room is at the back of the building which of course does help). Staff were friendly, breakfast was basic but OK (toast, cereal and a boiled egg if you wanted - I didn't - and the usual tea/coffee). The Dinning Room is rather small so I had to share a table - although it turned out to be another solo traveller at the same concert as me, which was nice.

The only point to note was although I had booked online I had to pay upon arrive (that's fine of course), but there was a card surcharge so I paid cash. Something to bear in mind.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Have just stayed at this hotel having come up to London for a gig at the Shepherd's Bush Empire. The location of this hotel is great - it's only about 5 minutes from Goldhawk Road and the O2 is on the opposite corner to the hotel.

It had good things going for it and only one minor complaint!

Firstly it was great value if you are only up in London on a short stay and the location was great. With three tube lines in a short walk you had access to the Hammersmith and City line, Circle line and Central line which made it good for getting about.

Breakfast was basic, but I liked the offer of a boiled egg (we are talking continental breakfast here so no fry up), and at the end, whilst finishing the coffee we were each given a hot buttery croissant. That was a lovely way to end breakfast.

The staff seemed lovely and unobtrusive but helpful. And other guests seemed friendly also, which isn't something you regularly experience in a hotel so I can only assume that was down to the general atmosphere.

The only weakness was the room as has been stated by others. Someone did say in their review that you should expect that in London, but I have to be honest, this was the smallest double room I think I have ever stayed in. Room 26 - my husband had to sleep against the wall! On the other hand there were some nice touches - I liked the fact that there as a mounted deskfan on the wall that had a timer as the air was quite still. Be warned - the bathroom is also mega small - but was well equipped. Please fix the shower door though Grantly staff - it doesn't slide properly. If you are a guest there - please note - there is no light switch for the bathroom.l There is a sensor so the light comes on and off as you go in and out. On the outside of the door is an isolation switch which we pressed trying to get the light to go off and of course it just stayed on because we had effectively switched off the bathroom sensor.

I think this room would be better as a double for single occupancy - that would have made it workable - having said that - great view of the Green.

Along with the Al Forno Italian restaurant a few doors down, I still think that this will be our accommodation of choice for O2 concerts.

Room Tip: Just be aware the room 26 is smaller than you might hope. Great value though!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Crawley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Booked this on the day as attending a concert at Shepherds Bush Empire plus there was also a tube strike. Staff very friendly & checking in was no problem. Room was large & bathroom clean but all quite old fashioned. Towels need updating, very old & not white anymore. Breakfast was very basic & a bit like staying with your gran! The breakfast room itself is very small but we were seated very quickly but I don't know what it would be like if everyone came down at once as the hotel itself has a lot of rooms! A bonus also it's very close to Westfields if you want to go shopping!
All in all a pleasant stay which served its purpose.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JMD1231
Riga
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Excellent location, good night shifts receptionist, OK breakfast, room as always small but you can not expect more in London. The bathroom was OK size.
Internet did not work in my room. You can not rely on hotel promises that internet works everywhere. I do not know whether they are using bad quality routers or there are some other problems but hotel management do not pay attention to this issue. If you have to make a regular restart for router, you can not place it high where nobody can access. It is not an excuse that yesterday was a specialist and did not detect anything.
Also my TV had just 1 program and remote controls had low batteries. Again - cheap hotel, no attention to details.
Towels were clean but already grey & yellow. Mould on the bathroom walls.
Breakfast room was very small and on Sunday when breakfast started at 8.00, those who came little later had to wait for at least 25 minutes to get seated. Otherwise - breakfast is simple but OK - cheese, jam, toast, cruasan (heated), egg & Kellogs. No jogurt.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here for 1 night on 3rd March to attend a concert at the Empire. All communication by email was prompt and helpful. We needed 2 single beds and a double in one room and this was provided for us. I tried several hotels and they all said no, so it was a relief to find the Grantly so accommodating. On arrival we found the hotel beautifully clean and modern. The bathroom was like new. A continental breakfast was provided in a pretty conservatory the following morning. We ate at the pizzeria next door which was also very nice. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Leeds, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

What more do you need five mins walk to underground staff are good value for money hotel will book again when im in London sheperds bush has massive shopping maul on the door. Step right next door to the underground so plenty to do

Room Tip: Back room are quieter but iwas in a front room but I had no problems sleep ing
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family