“Excellent hotel, great service”

Crowne Plaza London - Docklands
Ranked #340 of 1,075 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Reception staff courteous and welcoming, rooms spacious and comfortable and quiet with good facilities, mini bar with complementary mineral water, tea, coffee, iron, ironing board, LCD TV, etc. Restaurant service and buffet breakfast excellent. Even though very busy, the maitre d in contol and all staff very professional. Food and bar prices about average for this class of hotel in London.
Easy reach of the City, 2 minutes walk to the DLR, convenient for the O2 and Excel.
Go for rooms at the front of the hotel for the best views of the Royal victoria Dock

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
DGMLondonDocklands, Assistant Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your kind feedback and taking the time to inform us of your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands.

We appreciate when good feedback is left. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities.

I would like to once more thank you for giving us your kind feedback and hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2011

A medical congress was the reason of my stay at the hotel (accompanying my husband ) between 13th to 17th of may and it was a decent experience with minor problems .I would start with the problems we had with our key room that didn't work at all or worked after many many desperate tries .IT WAS VERY ANNOYING .We tried to get them fixed at first but after two attempts at the front desk to no effect we gave up and simply tried and tried again until they finally did work at a rate of one successful attempt in ten .
Location was good since the congress was at ExCell nearby and I really liked the surroundings.Of course is far from centre so it takes some time to reach museums and sites and theatres etc but DLR station is 5 minutes away . Takes 30 minutes to reach , say ,Leicester Sq . (aprox) off rush hours of course .Breakfast was decent too and service ok , but to be honest I didn't spend much time inside so I can't say I was a difficult or demanding client .
Also no free internet anywhere in the hotel and the pool is on the same level with the reception hall with only a door to separate them so it smells sometimes of chlorine. I don't think its an appropriate place for a pool .
And you can hear the planes from the City Airport nearby .
Ask with a room with a view to the docks.

It wasn't a bad experience all in all.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your recent stay at Crowne Plaza London Docklands and for taking the time to leave feedback of it.

I can see from your review that you experienced some issues with your room keys. When keys are taken to the Excel centre we do experience that these very often demagnetise and have to be redone to avoid that very thing. I am truly sorry that it caused you such annoyance.

It seems that overall was a good stay and I hope you would choose to come back to stay with us given the opportunity.

I would like to thank you one more time for taking the time to leave this feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 May 2011

Wow - I used to stay at this hotel as I occasionally work in Canary Wharf, but my recent visit was the first for 2 years. I'm honestly not sure if this place could be any worse in terms of service. I stayed just 3 nights, and had the following issues:

- Allocated twin room on arrival despite phoning to confirm double - advised I would have to pay a 'surcharge' if I wanted a double room.

- Internet not working at all - told it was an issue with the provider

- Iron in room destroyed one of my shirts as was faulty - requested urgent replacement as needed to iron shirt before work, which didn't arrive until after I had left - over 30 minutes later

- No service at breakfast - had to chase waiters around just to get a cup of coffee

- When I finally managed to get them to agree to move my room, they told me to pack my things and they would move my bags into my new room - they forgot to do any of this so I did it myself

- Ordered room service - they seemed to forget the order and it arrived 80 minutes later only after I phoned again - food was fairly bad too, but I suppose that's to be expected in a chain hotel of this quality.

On a more subjective note, the gym is full of old machines which often seem to be out of order, and the location is poor being far from anywhere except the DLR station. If you're working in Canary Wharf I would suggest the Raddison Edwardian instead.

Will never stay here again - and since I'm a Gold Priority Club member, they've lost a regular client accros the entire chain because of this shocking hotel.

Room Tip: Go to the Radisson instead.
1  Thank eponline

Dear Reviewer,

I thank you very much for the time you have taken to address the various issues you had in our property on your recent stay.

It seems that we were unable to put to rights any of the wrongs. I would like to apologise for this. I have passed your comments on to the various departments for review.

I am truly sorry that on check in we did not have a queen bedroom available but a twin. In regards to the "surcharge" you were asked to pay, this is for a superior room with a king size bed as all standard rooms whether they are twin or queen bedded are at the same price. I would like to further apologise as your room move did not materialise.

In regards to room service and restaurant issues during your stay I have contacted the corresponding departments to ensure this is resolved and never and issue again.

You have also mentioned that you were unable to connect to the internet. I hope that all necessary checks were done in order to understand what the issue might have been. On extreme cases and if we are unable to resolve the connection problems, we offer a wireless option.

We take all feedback very seriously and I can assure all your points are being looked at and I would like to thank you one more time for bringing them to our attention.

Reviewed 7 May 2011

I wrote earlier that the hotel was very disappointing. Some of the staff at the front desk was extremely unprofessional, just to illustrate: while we were asking the concierge a question about how to get to Victoria station, he was too busy clipping his nails right in front of us. Disgusting!

The location is also too far from the center. It was about 45 minute ride to the tourist attractions.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeattleRainyDay

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to know more about your comments as I find your feedback very disturbing. Would you be able to contact me directly at the Crowne Plaza Docklands hotel please.

I appreacitate the time you have taken to bring this matter to my attention and I look forward to your phonecall.

Reviewed 5 May 2011

Lovely looking hotel, clean and tidy. But is severely lacking in many areas
1. the lead for the kettle doesn't actually reach the plug!!!!
2. you only get one of everything in twin rooms (one biscuit, one tea, one coffee etc)
3. they take an age to make a cocktail.
4. you can order a pizza to your room from the restuarant, but you can't atually have a pizza in the bar!!!! They make pizza - so it's not as if it's a take away from pizza hut which I would understand - but they actually make the pizzas - but they won't let you eat them at the bar.... Pathetic.
5. the windows need a service, the draught vent is loose and makes a noise
6. don't order the shepherds pie - it's tiny and doesn't come with anything else!
7. double check what you order - I ordered steak with mushroom sauce - I got the steak au poivre, they tried to convince me I did order it - then offered it half price, I convinced them it had to be free as it wasnt what I ordered which they agreed to - but they put it down as full price on the bill!!!!!! Appalling service.

Room Tip: haggle on price!

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave comments of your recent stay. It is truly kind of you to take time out of your busy schedule to leave such detailed feedback.

Your comments have very valid points and all the different issues have been forwarded to the right departments and they will be looked at. Maintenance and housekeeping issues are being looked at. In regards to your food and beverage issues these have also been handed over and will be addressed by the departmental managers.

In regards to pizza not being available in the bar, I would like to confirm that this has been reviewed and it is available now. I do apologise that this has happened a little too late for you but going forward this has been reviewed thanks to your feedback.

I would like to thank you one more time for taking the time to write to us as this helps us improve our service.

Reviewed 24 April 2011

I booked this hotel as a short break for me and wife for the bank holiday. We set off early by train and I realised that the travel from the London underground (the DHR) was not running. In a panic i phoned the hotel in the morning and there was no answer. I wanted to change hotels to the crown plaza in the city and was advised by reservations that i needed to contact the hotel directly. I just have to keep trying. My 3 hour train ride was constantly on the phone to reach the hotel to confirm it just kept ringing out. When I arrived at the hotel no smile no greeting, I said i wanted to check in and explained I have been trying to contact you for 3 hours. Was there a problem with the phones? The receptionist said' Yeah Maybe there is ’ no apology no nothing. I did not say anything, I just wanted to get into my room, and I requested to be upgraded as I am a platinum member at least with a view of the docklands. It was like I had shot somebody. I was made guilty for asking to be upgrade. I was given a room with a side view of flats and was told nothing else available. A few hours later I asked if there was any other rooms available and was told there were plenty and if i wanted one I would have to pay for upgrade. I have stayed loyal to the chain for 3 years and use their brand of hotels on a regular basis. I was very disappointed in the service, especially for a crown plaza. I stayed in the Crown Plaza atSt James park in London two weeks ago and was treated like a king, staff would do anything for me upgraded me to a suite without even asking, Late checkout, no problem, room not ready, don’t worry have a coffee and cake on us at the bar.. At the crown plaza London docklands i ask for a late checkout last night get asked 'why do you want a late checkout' and says well we want the room for the next person by 2pm no crown plaza do any checkout after 12 without charge. Platinum member or not. .I was very unhappy but thought sod it and thought there is no point being a platinum member at the Crown Plaza at the docklands as they don’t care. The hotel its self is very really nice, beautiful views but I would not be coming again here. I have always been impressed with this chain of hotels but the Crown Plaza at the docklands really has made me think twice booking with them.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laiqa97
DGMLondonDocklands, Guest Services Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

Dear reviewer.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.
I am very disappointed to read that you had such an unfriendly experience during your
stay with us. We pride ourselves on the friendliness and professionalism of our members of staff, but in this occasion it seems we have failed to live up to our usual standards.
During this past bank holiday we did indeed have technical issues with our phone lines. We
only became aware of this due to numerous guests mentioning it.
Even though the person that checked you in may not have been aware of the issue at the time, he/she should still have acknowledged your frustration and looked into the matter. I would like to apologize for this as it is not how we like to treat our guests.

I would also like to assure you that our elite Priority club members are very important to us and would like to encourage you to visit us again and to give us the opportunity to do things differently.

If you would like to discuss the matter any further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Yours sincerely,

Miguel López
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 23 April 2011

We arrived at the hotel early evening check in was good. The room was very clean, and had a lot of room. We decided to have a meal in the hotel restaurant the staff are very friendly, we ordered the Baby chicken which just came out as that with a few vine tomato's which was a shock for the price we had to pay, you would expect a few new potato's. After a long day out in London we got back to the room and wanted to order a pizza which in the room it said we could do till 11.30pm. When we called down to order this at 11pm the staff member did not seem to know about this as we had to read him the leaflet in the room and said the chief had gone home but they could order use one in which sort of takes the purpose of room service away.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

I was pleased to read that for the most part you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am sorry to hear that you felt that the food portions were not sufficient, I will pass on your comments to our executive chef,

Thank you for bringing to our attention the trouble you had when attempting to order a pizza. I will speak to my collegues from room service and will ensure that the times stated are adhered to at all times.

We hope to welcome you back at Crowne Plaza Docklands in the near future.

Kind Regards,