“Great Location, has issues with staff”

Crowne Plaza London - Docklands
Ranked #341 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Zug
“Great Location, has issues with staff”
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I have stayed here in the past, and the location is brilliant, with easy access to the DLR ( and hence tube as Canning Town is only one stop) Canary Wharf, The West End and City via DLR / Tube and City Airport.

The Rooms are lovely, bright, light, clean, excellent bathrooms, safe, clean , all you could ask for a short business or vacation stay. The facilities are good, with a nice pool and fitness amenity, good car parking and plenty of space for the bar and restaurant.

However, the staff are, in general, a great disappointment. I called for room service four times in the space of an hour, and only got the voicemail of Mr Vikram Singh ( The f & B manager it transpired). I tried to call the front desk, nobody answered ( please note only one of the two telephones in the room was working). When I reached the front desk the lady apologised and said “ your not the only one, everyone is calling us about it, “ as if this would reassure me! She then offered to take my order, which she did, and the food, which was very nice, arrived in about 20 mins.

The TV remote batteries ran out, and so I left it with the front desk the next morning. When I returned the same remote was there with the old batteries still in it. Tried to call the front desk and again no-one answered, so I went down, to be told that someone would come up with a new one immediately, and this was indeed arranged.

I then tried to call for room service ( you can see the pattern emerging) and no-one answered ( three times). I went down, the lady at the front desk again took my order and sent the food up.

This is a brilliant location, it’s a nice building with excellent furnishings, but the staff need to be trained / managed / organised / something as they are making a complete and utter hash out of the potential.

The regional or national management of IHG need to simply go and stay there unannounced and try and do what most people do, order food, watch TV and see how difficult it is.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out over the water
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Usk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

me and my partner have just come back from staying here, we stayed 3 days, and from time we got there till the time we left we really enjoyed ourselfs, the breakfast was amazing and breakfast was at really good time frm 6-10.30 and on weekends 1130, the bed was very comfy...... the only bad thing i would say it having to pay 16 night parking.. so after paying 400 for the 3 nights we then had 2 pay another 48 pound for parking...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Be warned we were persuaded on check in to upgrade from a superior room to a suite at a special rate additional charge of £30 per night. However the suite only containd a larger area by the room door, maybe 6 sq meters of carpet. We only discovered this the checking out day when we were able to examine a superior room.
We complained to the manager who was having none of it. This additional 6 sq meters of carpet made the room a suite and we had to pay the surcharge.
So be careful carpet comes expensive at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank harrykari
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Located on the docklands with close links to canary wharf and o2 and boasting lovely rooms and facilities this hotel was the perfect choice for our mini birthday getaway....until we met the staff! I have never encountered such rude, unfriendly, arrogant team members. Check in was carried out in silence...despite being platinum priority club members!, concierge and bar team members consistently ignored everyone around them and on one occasion when trying to question a supervisor regarding breakfast times we were blatantly blanked in silence! On our second night my colleague waited 10 minutes to be served at the bar before having to ask one barman to stop washing glasses and serve her! Not one smile seen the entire stay. Having complained to duty manager we were promised contact from general manager within 48 hrs, 5 days on and not a word. Clearly the total lack of guest focus starts at the top of this management team. Really disappointed as always receive great service from crown plaza, this one really let's the brand down and to think charging £380 per night!

• Stayed June 2011
Swindon, Wiltshire
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I booked this hotel for myself and a friend as we were going to a concert at the O2. We arrived just after 1pm and were told our room wouldn't be ready for another 15/20 minutes, bearing in mind check in technically isn't until 2pm anyway, we had some lunch in the bar. The food was lovely, drinks were superb albeit quite expensive (but it is a London hotel after all) and we checked in earlier than expected at 1.30pm.

The room was gorgeous, nice decor, good size and plenty of decent toiletries. The rest of the hotel was very clean and modern and we were always greeted with friendly staff who were always happy to help. Breakfast was lovely (£18 per person, but the hotel were offering a 2 for 1 voucher when we stayed) and the leisure facilities were good.

If you are going to the O2 and don't fancy taking the DLR / tube and would prefer to take a taxi, although the hotel staff are brilliant at getting a taxi for you when you request it, it's actually cheaper to get a black cab (hotel taxi £17, black cab £15). Also just a heads up, if the DLR isn't operating (they were carrying out maintenance on the tracks when we went) you will need to use the replacement bus service, however make sure you get on the bus that says "Beckton" and get off at the first stop (outside the excel centre). It's only a 5 minute walk over the bridge to the Excel centre and turn right when you get on to the Docklands front (you'll see the O2 across the river, just keep walking in that direction and you'll come to the Crowne Plaza eventually).

Would definitely recommend this hotel and will definitely book again if I need to stay in the same area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
DGMLondonDocklands, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

I am pleased to read that you had a great stay with us and the facilities and service met your expectations. It is our pleasure always to ensure that all our guests enjoy their stay and leave with positive experience. I will pass on your comments to our staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Miguel Lopez
Guest Services Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I stay at the Crowne Plaza for my wedding and I must say that it was an excellent stay, staff very helpful and attentive. Treated as guests, breakfast good. Rooms excellent and I had one executive suite and two standard rooms. The guests I had in other rooms also were very pleased with the service that was offered by the staffs.

We were seen to straight away and the staffs, concierge was friendly. Good business area, lavish buffet, splendid gym, health and recreation services, what more can an individual expect away from home. Room was very nice, bathroom very modern and clean, good selection in mini fridge, complimentary tea/coffee. Was useful to find a iron and ironing board in wardrobe.

I had a great relaxed break and would stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
DGMLondonDocklands, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.
I am pleased to hear that you had such a great stay with us.
I will pass on your comments to all of our team.
We are always happy to hear that we have succeeded in what we set out
to do on a day to day basis.

We appreciate your comments regarding our in-room amenities. We have recently upgraded the amenities in our superior rooms and our suites.
We hope this will make your future stays even more joyful.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Miguel Lopez
Guest Services Manager
Rickmansworth
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Check in was a shambles. They tried to extract extras for a room upgrade which I declined, then gave me a room key for a room which was already occupied. I checked in late so imagine trying to gain access to a room with a key which wouldn't work, only for the door to be opened (around 10:30pm) by someone already there. The room is fine, breakfast is fine, declined to eat here because it appears average and expensive. Would not come back unless no other option.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business