“Nice hotel, quiet area.”

Crowne Plaza London - Docklands
Ranked #344 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 May 2012

The hotel has lovely large rooms, with very nice bathrooms. Thought not in the heart of London, it is easily accessible via the DLR that has a stop right behind the hotel. The breakfast was very nice with a big variety to choose from. Staff was very helpful. It has a nice big indoor heated pool also. Nice place to stay in London. a Quiet oasis away from the hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: Ask for a river facing view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza London - Docklands

Reviewed 11 May 2012

Great location for London City Airport, O2, Olympic site etc; with the ExCel and DLR on the doorstep. Rooms nice but the lighting is frustratingly poor and uncomfortable mattress. Staff helpful and friendly and a swish bar area. Great leisure facilities. Ridiculous wifi rates! Why do they try to rip off their customers this way? Main problem was the food at breakfast. Bland - and if not eaten, left to dry out on the self-service servery rather than being replaced with fresher food. Pity. With a little consideration, this hotel could easily be rated the best in the area.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
DGMLondonDocklands, Guest Services Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking time to send us your feedback on your recent stay which has been passed on for review at management level. We do provide every guest with a 30 minutes complimentary internet access every day and guests can also access internet via the cable connection in their rooms. However 24 hour internet access is chargeable.

I also appreciate your concern regarding the breakfast and do apologize for the poor experience you had and assure you that when next you stay with us you will experience our true hospitality in all areas.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 May 2012

I just checked out of this hotel and had for the most part a pleasant experience. Everything was as it should be, however beware of the following.... I am a Gold Priority Club rewards member and they gave me a free drink card which was a nice touch... however make sure to get clarity on the free newspaper for PC members as i was charged for my choice... they fixed that on the exit... The only thing that left me feeling upset was the "service charge" for the privelage of eating in the restaraunt.. this was in no way advertised. There was no service charge for the breakfast however when the restaraunt was closed due to some renovations i felt like i was penalised for eating in the bar area with a 25% markup... Being an american thats a tad much on our us dollar... Overall i will definitely stay again just not eat in the hotel. Live and learn...

Room Tip: this place has a great fitness and pool area!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
DGMLondonDocklands, Guest Services Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I am very pleased to receive such positive comment about your recent stay. Our aim is to ensure that all our guests have a pleasant experience at the end of their stay.

I also would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused you during the restaurant renovation works. We do have complimentary in-house newspaper and offer this complimentarily but do charge for other newspapers we buy upon guests’ request.

I would like to once more thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel while working nearby. I have stayed here before so knew pretty much what to expect.

There is a car park at the rear of the hotel and there always seems plenty of spaces available. Check in was easy and with no problems.

The room I had been allocated was on the 2nd floor overlooking the dock area. Pleasant view and it was nice and quiet on an evening. The room could do with a bit of refurb, there were stains on the carpet & curtains but nothing major. Bed was comfy. Only downsides to room was there was no in room safe, something I would expect in a hotel of this standard, to keep valuables locked away. Also the shower pressure wasn't the best, but I think this was due to the shower head they had fitted, possibly to save water?

There is a fitness centre on site with Gym, swimming pool, sauna and steam room, but I didn't use this.

Breakfast is not the best. I had bacon on the first morning which was cold and the bread rolls were hard which was a let down. After that, I stuck to cereal. Also poor quality mass market pastries/ The orange juice would appear as a frozen variety where water is added? It varied in strength and it was certainly not fresh. Also you don't get a pot of tea, they just come round with a jug and pour it in your mug, therefore the taste wasn't great and you couldn't make it to your own strength.

I didn't eat in the bar, I was put off after last time I stayed when they charged me a 12.5% service charge plus a 12.5% tip. There was no way I was going to pay 25% in total for service so went out for meals.

On another point, I am a Platinum member of the Priority Club scheme, and have never had an upgrade at this hotel, despite staying several times. Not an issue, I got what I booked, but just something to be aware of if you are expecting an upgrade like other hotels in the chain.

Overall hotel is adequate if working in the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer,

It was a pleasure to have you choose our hotel for your stay. I would also like to thank you for taking time to send us feedback on your stay.

Your comments have been taken on board. There is currently an on-going refurbishment in both the interiors and exteriors of the property.

I appreciate your concern over the poor breakfast. We did encounter a few challenges as breakfast was not served at its original location due to renovation work at the restaurant.

It is worth emphasizing that comments from loyal customers like you help us to be better at what we do and as such I thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you again to experience memories worth repeating.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Chose the CP London Docklands as my partner was running the london Marathon and easy access to London Excel. We only stayed one night but what a delight, check-in was smooth and easy and were welcomed by a smiley receptionist. The room was nice and had plenty of space to wander about without bumping into beds, desks etc. Only downside was the size of the flatscreen TV which we found too small compared to other similar London hotels.
We had room service which came within 30mins and was excellent value for money and very tasty. Best Club Sandwich I've had for years !
Location was ideal witht the DLR only 2 mins walk behind the hotel with easy access to central London and shopping at Stratford.
Overall would definately stay again even if we had to travel into central London for the Theatre..
Just ensure you get a good deal as the standard rates are on par with Covent garden etc...
Thank you CP Docklands for a very enjoyable stay...

Room Tip: Make sure you search for the best deals on the internet prior to booking, and they vary a great deal...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Evrsa

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands, also for taking the time to leave us such positive feedback which I will ensure I pass on to the team.

It makes us proud to hear that you are so happy with the service received and also especially having the best club sandwich.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back soon for more exciting experiences.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, as my husband was running the London Marathon. When we checked in we were given a room at the front of the hotel on the second floor. Nice room with lovely view. Only problem was there was a wedding reception on the Saturday night on first floor which we were not informed about. The Receptionist knew we were there for the marathon as we had told her this. Consequently, we had no sleep on the Saturday night due to the noise. Although the music had stopped the noise from the party guests carried on. We also had to put up with someone carting equipment back into a van, people shouting in the corridor. Not good preparation for the marathon to say the least. When we checked out we informed the front desk of this and were told that when they had functions on and if there is an event such as the marathon on they would put guests on a higher floor, not so in our case. We chose this hotel as we had stayed there previously but I'm afraid that we would not probably stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room if you want a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay and also sending us your feedback.
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused you during your stay as a result of the event and assure you that we do have the comfort of our guests at heart.

The hotel was unfortunately close to being full and placing all our guests on higher floors was not physically possible but we did move guests to higher floors whenever possible.

I appreciate that in this occasion your need to have a very good night sleep was paramount in your stay and we could not offer that.

I hope however that you will give us another opportunity to show you our hospitality and make you welcome.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights with a friend as I was running the London Marathon. It was a nie hotel and well located but disappointed that there was no wifi in the rooms and in addition there was only 30 minutes free. I just expect something better at these hotels as we do pay a lot of money to stay there.

Stayed: April 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I want to thank you for your recent stay and sending your feedback. I have passed on your feedback and will be discussed at management level. We do provide every guest with a 30 minutes complimentary internet access everyday and guests can also access internet via the cable connection in their rooms.

We are in the process of changing all our internet services to wireless and hope that when next you visit you will be able to access it.

I look forward to seeing you to offer you a memorable experience on your next stay.