“Do not book this hotel for the London Triathlon - ever!”

Crowne Plaza London - Docklands
Ranked #336 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Thames Ditton, Surrey
“Do not book this hotel for the London Triathlon - ever!”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was registered for the 2014 London Triathlon and realised that I was going to have an early morning start on Sunday 3rd August. I knew driving across London at 4.30am was going to be a bit of a stress so, fairly late in the day I decided to book in to a local hotel.
There were surprisingly still rooms at a few hotels so I made a few phone calls - there were a couple of key criteria for me:
1) Hotel car park with a guaranteed space.
2) Breakfast served at 4am.
3) Would allow me to have my bike in my room so I could check everything over during the evening before and be all set to go first thing.
Crowne Plaza was one of the first hotel's in the area I called and the long wait while the centralised booking call centre team went off to check with the actual hotel about my special requirements was reassuring. They replied with a confident yes to all three questions.
They also had a suite available which had a special deal - a free late check-out to 4pm which would actually be ideal. Of course - it was not really free, as the suite was nearly £300 per night but I figured I would treat myself.
As the time drew nearer I actually drove to the Crowne Plaza a week in advance just to check out the Triathlon bike route. I could see for myself the ample private car park at the rear which was great. I popped into the hotel and asked about driving directions for the day itself as there are always major road closures for the triathlon itself but surprisingly the concierge had no idea - even though it was just a week away.
That should have warned me.
On Saturday 2nd the drive to Docklands was predictably nightmarish - with the two day London Triathlon already underway it took an hour to find a route still open.
Arriving at the Crowne Plaza the car park barrier was locked and the car park was rammed. My wife went to reception and they were able to find us literally the last parking space.
In reception, a gentleman was already there with his bike asking about taking the bike to his room and was told firmly "no bikes in your room" to which my ears immediately pricked up. He was as annoyed as I having made similar enquiries up front, and we both insisted on seeing the manager. The reasoning for the "no bikes in the room" rule was that "the corridors of the hotel are too narrow" and we might "damage the walls". What?? Serious triathletes will often spend as much on their bike as the average person might on their car so they are not likely to risk scratching their expensive dream machine on cheap hotel walls! Unbelievable. The only option given was to store your bike in a conference room with everyone else's bikes.
Then we asked at the front desk about breakfast - breakfast is normally served at 7am, no good for me as my wave start time was 7am! When pressed they could do breakfast "maybe at 5am" - still not the promised 4am I had originally requested.
The hotel was completely unbudging and unflinching despite my having pre-checked these key details which formed the basis of my selection of the Crowne Plaza.
Oh, and the corridors? 6 foot wide, making it all but impossible for even the clumsiest triathlete to scratch the walls!
By 8.30pm I had finished dinner and was in my room winding down for an important early night's sleep. I had a nice hot bath to help relax and then went to bed. I was just dozing off when out of nowhere an alarm starts buzzing. I had no idea from where, and then a light comes on in the room - it's the TV! The light gets brigher and the alarm gets progressively louder, impossible to ignore. So then I had to get up and find the TV remote - I couldn't turn the TV off, I had to login to the TV using the number keys on the remote, then go into the message system - to find a generic broadcast message to the owner of a Ford Mondeo with such-and-such a registration - could you go to the car park and turn your vehicle lights off!! Seriously!?? This is an urgent message for everyone in the hotel??
I turned the alarm off and deleted the message - but now I hear the same alarm from every room on my floor! There is no way I can sleep through it so I call reception to complain.
"Oh but their alarms will all go off as soon as they respond to the message". My reply - duh! "What if they're not actually in their room?". "Ummm...oh, well, we can turn it off manually". "You had better have these alarms off in the next five minutes or I'm coming down there to see the manager!"
I was livid, and although - five minutes later - all the other alarms did indeed switch off I was so riled now that my odds of dozing off were now zero and I just tossed and turned for I don't know how many hours.
In short - this is ABSOLUTELY NOT the hotel you want if you are here for the London Triathlon or indeed any event that starts early at the Excel centre.
Having paid £300 for a suite for a specific occasion I felt completely ripped off and as a result of my complaints being completely ignored I have no way to vent my displeasure with this hotel than to vote with my wallet and never use Crowne Plaza - or any InterContinental Group hotel - ever again. I will also be sharing this review across my social networks to ensure my friends and colleagues take heed.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ken1969
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear ken1969,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to London - Docklands.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Lovely clean and spacious room. Very convenient for Excel and lovely quiet room with a soft and comfy bed. Can't fault the service nice stay except that on the hottest day of the year, the pool was out of order. I had chosen this hotel especially for the pool as I was attending a fitness convention at nearby Excel. Everything was lovely but the lack of swimming pool was a big disappointment for which I think I should have been offered some sort of discount or compensation. Only other complaint is that the restaurant is a bit downmarket ( as was everything else in this locality). Still, I had great service for my decidedly average meal. I would use this hotel if attending Excel again as I think it's the best in the vicinity.

Room Tip: I paid extra for a river view and I think it was worth it
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
DGMLondonDocklands, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time out to leave such encouraging feedback about your recent stay with us.

Our main focus is to provide efficient, warm and friendly service to all our guests and your mention about these services is very encouraging and a great pride for the entire team. Thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements about the Hotel.

I am also really disappointed to hear that the swimming pool was out of order during your stay with us, I can assure you that this was an isolated event and I trust in your returned you would be able to enjoy the swimming pool and the rest of our facilities.

I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Docklands Hotel in the near future.

Kindest regards

Manchester
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My wife and I normally stay at Intercontinental Hotels, but as we were going to an event at the O2, we opted for this hotel. It was great - a lovely place to stay, rooms clean, good food, lively bar, our great room had a view over the O2, so it felt like we were at the heart of the event. The hotel staff were very helpful and attentive, in particular the Guest Manager, Mr Achraf Khouakhi, who did everything he could to make our stay enjoyable. We will definitely return here again. The value for money of the rooms was also fantastic. Well done!

Room Tip: Go as high as you can with a view of the dock
Green Features: Very clear encouragement to re-use towels, and time-limited controls that shut off when you are no longer in the room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
DGMLondonDocklands, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to truly thank you for the very positive comments and for choose to stay with us at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands.

You have made our staff very happy with your feedback especially my colleague Achraf and it is wonderful to know how much you enjoyed your stay.

Kind regard

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

It's impression of hotel was WOW, IT overlooks the docklands and the O2 arena.

We stayed here for 2 nights in July as we were going to the O2 to see Robbie, we had a fantastic double room with air con and all the little extras. Breakfast was included which was a bonus and the restaurant attached to the hotel was fabulous.

It's not central London but it's only 15-20 mins from the city centre on the tube.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to the O2 or if you just want a good quality hotel at a decent price away from the city centre.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking efforts to post your comments and for choosing Crowne Plaza London- Docklands for your recent stay in London.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay and were satisfied with the size and the comfort that your room offered. I am especially pleased that you found our amenities and the restaurant as an extra to help to make your stay exceptional.

I am indeed looking forward to welcoming you back for another fantastic experience.

Kind regards

uk
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I cannot believe some of the negative reviews. The location isnt central London but you are 20 minutes from the centre on the tube (2 minutes walk from the hotel). It is a much cheaper hotel than staying centrally and the hotel is spotless, great rooms, excellent swimming pool which is a bonus for London hotels. Breakfast and dinner very good, staff first class especially Mari and they cannot do enough to make your stay pleasurable. Great walks around the docks and the cable car trip to the Thames is well worth the money (£6.60 return). Man made beach close to the hotel with free deckchairs which our daughter loved. Thanks for a great stay and we will be back.

Room Tip: 6th floor rooms are excellent
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such amazing review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands. It was great to read your feedback and I was very pleased to learn that the service, product and location met your expectations fully.

We try our very best to amazed every guest of ours with brilliant customer service, on top of our convenient location and amenities that we offer. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and a comfortable stay for all our guests in order to make The Crowne Plaza London Docklands feel like home.

We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay here and we would absolutely love to have you here as our guest in the near future.

Kind regards

Manchester
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel was absolutely lovely.... We had a superior double room and it was fab, air-con, overlooked the 02 and the docks.... Breakfast was lovely the next morning & so was the early morning jacuzzi and sauna! Pricey of course but worth it. :-))

Stayed July 2014
DGMLondonDocklands, Guest Services Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing such kind comments about your stay at Crowne Plaza London Docklands. Your compliments and positive feedback are refreshing to hear as it commends the effort put into ensuring you have a memorable time with us.

Your feedback certainly reassures us that we are doing all we could to satisfy whoever stays with us. Please feel free to visit us again for another opportunity to enjoy the tasty buffet breakfast, Jacuzzi and sauna that you have found worthy.

I look forward to welcoming you here once again.

Kind Regards,

Nobert Ndlovu
Bingen am Rhein, Germany
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We chose this Hotel for a weekend stay as we went to see Monty Python live at the O2, and had our flights from/back London City airport. The hotel is optimally located for this.

Due to Emirates cable car station in front of the Hotel this is a very good place to stay if you wish to attend an event at the O2. For evening events, the cable car sadly stops operation at 9pm, but then it's just one Tube station and then one DLR station back to the Hotel. If you wish to go to central london, you can either take DLR + Tube or DLR directly towards the City.

The rooms are spacious and well maintained. Only minor issues: During our 3 nights stay, our minibar was never restocked. The pool was closed due to a broken pipe.

The breakfast buffett can only be rated good if you are into a full english breakfast. If you prefer a continental breakfast, your choices are very limited. But well, breakfast is expected to be a painful thing in the UK, so that's nothing standing out too much compared to other London Hotels.

The hotel bar and restaurant I can fully recommend. The WLAN is free but very slow.

Dear Reviewer,

I’d like to thank you for choosing to stay us at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands and for taking the time to post your review regarding your wonderful stay at our property.

It is unfortunate that when you stayed with us, as you have mentioned our swimming pool was out of service. I would like to apologise as this is one of some unforeseen occurrence's that we at times find ourselves in. Our swimming pool is now in full operational and I would assure you that as of now you wouldn't get this shortfall on us.

We look forward to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza London Docklands.

Kind Regards