“Good stay”

Crowne Plaza London - Docklands
Ranked #337 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Interesting location right by the water, very convenient for Thames cable cars and a DLR station very close - not so good for bus or tube.
Reception was a bit brisk, but service in the restaurant and bar was friendly.
Room was on the small side but comfortable and well maintained.
Quite good value for London, and I would consider staying there again to explore more of this area of the city - there's lots to see and do in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
DGMLondonDocklands, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your last experience at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the services in the restaurant and found the room to be comfortable. I also have addressed your comments regarding your check in experience.

I hope that you decide to return to explore more of the area’s offering and would be very happy to welcome you back.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for 1 night before flying from London City Airport. I had a room with a waterside view which was great. Good size room, comfy bed and nicely finished bathroom. I ate in the hotel's restaurant which far exceeded my expectations. Staff couldn't of been more helpful. They have a Spa and pool but I didn't get time to experience them. Key word of warning is for first time visitors to London, this hotel is not in Central London, so expect a 20 minute train ride into the centre. Ideally located for the O2 Arena.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted to know that overall you have enjoyed your stay with us. We do indeed have a great location to the O2 Arena from where you can use the DLR service to go strait to London City Airport and the view are indeed amazing from our rooms. I would also like to take the opportunity to thank you for recognizing the efforts made by the entire team to make your stay special. Once again, thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

A large group of us stayed here for C2C 2014. Brilliant hotel, lovely comfy rooms and very handy for the O2 (cable car's just across the road). Handy links for getting into the centre too. Will stay again next year!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your rave review of our hotel. We try our very best to impressed every guest of ours with exceptional customer service, on top of the wonderful rooms and amenities that we offer. I am extremely glad to know that our location was a big plus in your favor and that you enjoyed almost every aspect of your stay.

I am certainly looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future

Warm Regards

Michelle A. Ramirez

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

A very nice entrance, but the staff were not as friendly as I'm used to. Room was clean and inviting. The whole floor was being decorated so smelt of paint which wasn't very nice. It wasn't a great place for a good nights sleep. Will try some where else in future.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands.

It is very sad to know that you have got a bad impression about the services, I am extremely sorry to know that we have not be able to provide you our usual customer services.

I have taken notes of this matter and please rest assured when next you stay with us you would see an improvement in all facilities and service and especially in the customer services area. Your feedback has also been passed on to the relevant managers and will be address.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Michelle A. Ramirez

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Good room, comfortable beds, window can open, good airco and a great breakfast for only €12.
It is too far from Central London to be a very good base to visit the centre for more than 1 day. It is close to DLR but the fare to get into the centre is expensive

Room Tip: Book through Lastminute.com
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking your time to share you feedback of your recent stay here at the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands.

I was very pleased to read that the service, location and facilities meet & exceeded your expectations. It will be my pleasure to share your feedback with the team.

Once again thank you for your time and I look forward welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

the room was amazing 4 balcony's overlooking the docks , O2 AND Canary Whalf . Nespresso and fruit in the room . Booking in was a dream with a lovely lady on the front desk. Breakfast was of an excellent standard .

Room Tip: rm 4016 a corner room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I would like to truly thank you for the very positive comments and for choose to stay with us at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay and were satisfied with the size and wonderful view that your room offered, specially that you found our staff helpful, your comments are so much appreciated and have been shared with the team.

I am looking forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Crowne Plaza London Docklands in the near future.

Kind regard

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was registered for the 2014 London Triathlon and realised that I was going to have an early morning start on Sunday 3rd August. I knew driving across London at 4.30am was going to be a bit of a stress so, fairly late in the day I decided to book in to a local hotel.
There were surprisingly still rooms at a few hotels so I made a few phone calls - there were a couple of key criteria for me:
1) Hotel car park with a guaranteed space.
2) Breakfast served at 4am.
3) Would allow me to have my bike in my room so I could check everything over during the evening before and be all set to go first thing.
Crowne Plaza was one of the first hotel's in the area I called and the long wait while the centralised booking call centre team went off to check with the actual hotel about my special requirements was reassuring. They replied with a confident yes to all three questions.
They also had a suite available which had a special deal - a free late check-out to 4pm which would actually be ideal. Of course - it was not really free, as the suite was nearly £300 per night but I figured I would treat myself.
As the time drew nearer I actually drove to the Crowne Plaza a week in advance just to check out the Triathlon bike route. I could see for myself the ample private car park at the rear which was great. I popped into the hotel and asked about driving directions for the day itself as there are always major road closures for the triathlon itself but surprisingly the concierge had no idea - even though it was just a week away.
That should have warned me.
On Saturday 2nd the drive to Docklands was predictably nightmarish - with the two day London Triathlon already underway it took an hour to find a route still open.
Arriving at the Crowne Plaza the car park barrier was locked and the car park was rammed. My wife went to reception and they were able to find us literally the last parking space.
In reception, a gentleman was already there with his bike asking about taking the bike to his room and was told firmly "no bikes in your room" to which my ears immediately pricked up. He was as annoyed as I having made similar enquiries up front, and we both insisted on seeing the manager. The reasoning for the "no bikes in the room" rule was that "the corridors of the hotel are too narrow" and we might "damage the walls". What?? Serious triathletes will often spend as much on their bike as the average person might on their car so they are not likely to risk scratching their expensive dream machine on cheap hotel walls! Unbelievable. The only option given was to store your bike in a conference room with everyone else's bikes.
Then we asked at the front desk about breakfast - breakfast is normally served at 7am, no good for me as my wave start time was 7am! When pressed they could do breakfast "maybe at 5am" - still not the promised 4am I had originally requested.
The hotel was completely unbudging and unflinching despite my having pre-checked these key details which formed the basis of my selection of the Crowne Plaza.
Oh, and the corridors? 6 foot wide, making it all but impossible for even the clumsiest triathlete to scratch the walls!
By 8.30pm I had finished dinner and was in my room winding down for an important early night's sleep. I had a nice hot bath to help relax and then went to bed. I was just dozing off when out of nowhere an alarm starts buzzing. I had no idea from where, and then a light comes on in the room - it's the TV! The light gets brigher and the alarm gets progressively louder, impossible to ignore. So then I had to get up and find the TV remote - I couldn't turn the TV off, I had to login to the TV using the number keys on the remote, then go into the message system - to find a generic broadcast message to the owner of a Ford Mondeo with such-and-such a registration - could you go to the car park and turn your vehicle lights off!! Seriously!?? This is an urgent message for everyone in the hotel??
I turned the alarm off and deleted the message - but now I hear the same alarm from every room on my floor! There is no way I can sleep through it so I call reception to complain.
"Oh but their alarms will all go off as soon as they respond to the message". My reply - duh! "What if they're not actually in their room?". "Ummm...oh, well, we can turn it off manually". "You had better have these alarms off in the next five minutes or I'm coming down there to see the manager!"
I was livid, and although - five minutes later - all the other alarms did indeed switch off I was so riled now that my odds of dozing off were now zero and I just tossed and turned for I don't know how many hours.
In short - this is ABSOLUTELY NOT the hotel you want if you are here for the London Triathlon or indeed any event that starts early at the Excel centre.
Having paid £300 for a suite for a specific occasion I felt completely ripped off and as a result of my complaints being completely ignored I have no way to vent my displeasure with this hotel than to vote with my wallet and never use Crowne Plaza - or any InterContinental Group hotel - ever again. I will also be sharing this review across my social networks to ensure my friends and colleagues take heed.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ken1969
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear ken1969,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to London - Docklands.

Orlando A.