“Stay away fron the restaurant”

Crowne Plaza London - Docklands
Ranked #342 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
london
“Stay away fron the restaurant”
Reviewed 31 January 2010

This is not my first time at the Crowne Plaza but sadly may be the last. I love the area and the fitness facilities are superb. However today I had to wait 20 minutes for the pleasure of eating very cold Benedicg eggs.

I was in a hurry to get to town so I left it slipped. Now silly me, I even decided to have dinner there too, what a mistake.

My Asian beef chilli salad had little chili or seasoning in it. I requested French fies with garlic parsley and got delivered Thick cut chips. When I asked the waitress to change them, she asked if It wasn't the same to me.

The fries I got were doggy and gad been cooked hours before, no garlic parsley on sight. No salt or sauces of any kind were offered or produced.

Also my drink never arrived although the had the cheek to bill me for it, as well as the service charge, for which I refuse to pay.

Novotel across the road offers a much nicer dining experience and at better prices.

DGMLondonDocklands, Deputy General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, 16 March 2010
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for staying with us at the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands and posting your review of your experience. Firstly, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply to your review.

I understand that you experienced a great disappoitment whilst using our food and beverage outlets during your stay. I apologise for this as the service or the food quality clearly were no where near to our usual award winning standards. Your feedback has been shared with the team to ensure similar incident are not repeated in the future.

I look forward welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands as I would very much like to use the opportunity to make sure that your dining experience is completely opposite to what you had during your last stay.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 18 January 2010

Stayed at this hotel to attend a show at the O2 arena. Hotel was clean and comfortable and the breakfast buffet was worth the money. Check in was quick especially since we were not the only ones there for the concert that night. I chose this hotel based on the reviews that I read on it's proximity to the O2 but I would recommend you take a cab ,since even though the venue is appears close it is not an easy walk.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank hewlyn
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands and taking the time to post your feedback.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the positive comments you have shared with the Tripadvisor Community.

We at the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands pride ourselves on our excellent levels of service and the superb quality of our food. It always fantastic to hear back from guest’s such as yourself and read the comments that you have enjoyed the hospitality.

Kent, England
Reviewed 31 December 2009

We stayed here after booking online a couple of months earlier - bagging a £59 per night (ex VAT, strangely this hotel shows rates ex VAT so take care) advance booking rate that included breakfast. As breakfast is £17.95 each we were glad we did!
We were notified that there were no family rooms available so we were given a complementary adjoining room for the children, with a view of the Dock and the O2. Very pleased! Lovely large rooms, very clean bathrooms. We had to phone down for more pillows and towels but these were delivered in minutes.
Excellent location for the Royal Victoria DLR line, only two minutes walk. Also right next door to a well stocked Spar shop open till 10pm.
Breakfast was good but not as good as that offered by Novotel Greenwich. Didn't have all the fruit and other items listed on their menu. And at £18 you expect everything to be there.
Lots of overseas visitors staying as it is so close to London City Airport. So French and German tv also available.
The planes stop at about 9pm and re-start at 6.30 am. You do hear plane noise as they fly rather low over the dock!
EVen numbered rooms in the 20s - 40s have the view of the dock and O2. Excellent location if you are visiting a show there or travelling into central London.
Would definitely stay here again but only if the rate was right.
Sadly no free wi-fi. Parking is £14.50 for 24 hours. There is an NCP behind the hotel for the ExCel centre but unsure if this is cheaper.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Mrs-Picky-Knickers
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands and taking the time to post your detailed review. Firstly, I apologise for my delayed reply to your review.

I would like to take this opportunity to respond some of the points that you raised on your review.

Our rates in general are displayed excluding VAT. This is always clearly marked i.e on the internet booking channels etc.

I was pleased to learn that the connecting room worked well for you and your family.

In addition, you mentioned that some of the fruit and other items were not available during the time you went for the breakfast and I would like to apologise for this.

I am also pleased to let you know that the hotel is looking into the option of introducing free wi-fi in the public areas in the near future.

I look forward welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands and please keep checking our website for future offers.

Kent, UK
Reviewed 29 November 2009

We stayed at this hotel over the weekend for one night and the Docklands is like a ghost town over the weekend, unless there is an event going on at excel. We used this hotel as we were going to see Disney on Ice at the O2. Be careful to check the tubes and DLR at the weekend though, as it is a bit out of the way. We got the DLR from Tower Hill, straight to Royal Victoria. Nice hotel, very modern and new feeling. Swimming pool was very nice and had a relaxing feeling. We didn't eat in the hotel, we went to an Italian restaurant near to excel, five minutes around the corner. There is also a shop along the road that sells water, drinks snacks etc. The staff seemed very nice and friendly on reception. Our room was very large and had one large king size bed and a large sofa bed for my 3 year old. It looks like the rooms have been refurbished recently. All in all we had a nice stay, but I must admit we didn't pay much for the room, so we really couldn't complain, at £60 a night!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands when you attended at the event at the O2 Arena and taking the time to share your feedback of your experience.

It was great to read your comments and thank you for sharing them with the other readers.

I look forward welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands when visiting the area in the future.

London
Reviewed 28 November 2009

Stayed in the Crowne Plaza where we had an Xmas party. Parking was a nightmare. Pointed in the direction of the hotel car park that had only 40 parking spaces for residents when the hotel is far bigger. Had to run into reception to get a code in order to get the barriers to lift with cars parked up behind us. Not a great start to the night. Ended up going to an EXCEL car park and was billed £18 for the night.

Food and Service at the party was excellent. However if you want a rest you won't get it here. We had a room overlooking the car park and a door leading into the next room where we could hear everything. The couple next door kept us awake for two hours, and in the end we had to resort to phoning front desk. Something I've never had to do.To the credit of the management, the matter was dealt with immediately.

Breakfast was rushed. We got there in plenty of time before it was going to close, but all the cereal had gone and hadn't been replenished. We were shown to our table, and that was it. I had to ask a waitress for tea, and then when I couldn't find a toaster, some toast. This is a standard request in every other hotel I've ever been to. Everyone was hunting around for milk, sugar, butter. It was totally disorganised. One guest had boiling tea knocked over her when she clashed with a rather rushed waiter.

Returned from breakfast to see the checking out queue stretching to the lifts. Resorted to organising our check out for 1pm to miss the rush.

If the Xmas do is held here again next year, we'll take a taxi home. Really not worth the aggro. Could be so much better with more staff in key places such as reception and the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands and taking your time to write your comments regarding your experience at the hotel. I appreciate your feedback.

I want to apologise for the inconvenience you experienced on arrival due no parking spaces available in the hotel car park. I recognise that it can sometimes be a challenge to park in the hotel car park, especially during times when hotel is busy with functions such as Christmas parties. In these situations the ExCel car parking, located straight behind the hotel building (1 min walking distance), supports the volume as hotel parking operates on first come, first serve basis.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the service and food at the party. I have also relayed your comments to my colleague who handled your noise complaint relating to the other guests staying next door.

Thank you for bringing the shortfalls in the breakfast service to my attention. I apologise for the inconveniences and service you experienced as clearly the standards expected were not delivered. Further training has been impleted to avoid situations like to this to take place in the future.

I sincerely hope that you give us another opportunity in the future to restore your faith in the hotel and company as awhole. The team and I look forward welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands in the near future.

dallas
Reviewed 19 November 2009

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a conference at Excel Center. Easy three minute walk to the venue with nice men in golf carts awaiting our need to quickly make our way the street. Hotel was extra clean, modern and very comfortable. Large room had stocked mini bar and there is a convenience store next door in case you don't want to spend the extra money. Almost all good things to say about this hotel except one of the most important necessities - SERVICE....they bar and restaurant served good food and drink if you could get it. The staff was clearly overwhelmed despite the fact that they are in the convention business and knew there was huge event going on. Ordered room service just to get called back three times to tell me what I had ordered wasn't available. Gym was well equipped but crowded in the mornings as it is shared with an apartment tower close by. Only two elevators serving at least 6 floors was clearly not enough. Lower rating for me as I think a hotel this size, brand and location could do better. There is nothing in the Docklands to do for night time entertainment that I could see. Try going to Greenwich for a little more culture. Caribbean Scene restaurant across the street from the hotel was a nice suprise and a well needed change of scenary. There is a private car service under the stairwell on property that does a great job and will allow you to use your credit card with the hotel for payment - what a lifesaver as I was travelling with very little cash and learned that many London taxi's don't take American Express. Not a bad hotel and I will consider staying for the same event next year. I'll just know not to expect much from the slow, uncaring, unfriendly food and beverage staff.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
london
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I went to the crowne plaza to celebrate my boyfriends 25th birthday. The room was very clean and the service was excellent. room service brought me up a wine cooler which i could put the champagne i had bought him in. I'd have to say the care park was expensive considering you already have to pay a fair amount for the room. But other than that no complaints!! Very nice hotel, situated very close to Royal Victoria station and easy to get to the o2. the room had a beautiful view of the docks and the o2. Very romantic!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple