“Compact and bijou”

Howard Winchester Hotel
Ranked #763 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights to meet up with friends - they travelled from France and I travelled from glasgow. I spent very little time in the hotel. All I wanted was somewhere cheap and clean and it fulfilled its purpose perfectly.

The Winchester is a good basic hotel. If I said my room was small it would be an understatement. It was tiny! The hand basin was actually IN the shower. Swinging the proverbial cat was not possible. You would struggle to swing a mouse.

But the important things were covered - my room was perfectly clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff were friendly, smiley and helpful. I was on the second floor. The stairs are steep and narrow and there is no lift. This was fine for me as I am fit and travel light but beware if you have heavy bags.

Breakfast was again basic and a bit chaotic. I had to share a table. The "full English" was sausage bacon egg beans toast orange juice. The only choice was coffee or tea but it was tasty and served by cheerful staff.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is cheap and cheerful and outstanding value.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank RNY99

Reviewed 11 October 2013

For single travelers the single room is best described as compact with an even more compact bathroom. A room for sleeping and not lounging around.
The breakfast was adequate for starting the day early.
For me, the location so close to Kings Cross and St Pancras Stations was ideal, and Euston was about a 10 minute walk away.
For those wanting the west end at low rates consider that this hotel plus the round trip bus fare will give better value than many west end hotels.

4  Thank robert312663
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Staying in the Howard Winchester was very pleasant. We had an ensuite room for two. Breakfast included was very good. The only downside was only 1 socket in the room, but will take an adapter next time. The staff cannot be faulted they are very pleasant. The owners are very nice too.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank CountyDurhamJulie
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This hotel is extremely deceiving. I stayed there in May with a group of people from my graduate program and am having a hard time thinking of a positive thing about it.

The website makes it look nice, there is a photo of the lobby that actually looks good. The lobby is the nicest part of the hotel. The rooms are so tiny, even by European standards, that you can barely stand let alone store your luggage. The beds are hard, pillows are flat, and comforters look like they came from a summer camp in the 80s. There is no bathroom to speak of in the twin rooms. There is a shower covered by a door that doesn't reach the ground and literally NO counter space. I'm not kidding, I couldn't find a place to put down my dental floss. And there was a fair amount of mold in the shower and all over the room.

BE CAREFUL in the showers! There is no bath mat or anything to keep you from slipping on the tile. I fell down hard and had a gigantic bruise on my knee and elbow, and when I told the guy at the front desk he literally had no change of expression or tone and told me to put a towel in there. This is extremely dangerous, and I can't see how it's legal.

The "wifi" is extremely spotty, and I spent a long time trying to get it to work on my iPhone or iPad, neither was very successful.

The neighborhood is a bit sketchy, I wouldn't walk through it by yourself. It is basically an alley. I had a group of people, and we still felt a bit worried. It is close to kings cross station, which seemed like a good idea due to convenience, but don't do it!

Finally, the customer service was atrocious. My group and I expressed our concerns several times, but were met with nonchalance and even hostility. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Ok, maybe an enemy.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Natalie F
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I had to attend a funeral in London and so had to book at very short notice. I found a single room on booking.com at the Howard Winchester for £55. While the room was very small, it did have a comfortable double bed and my room overlooked Argyle Square, very pleasant in the sunshine. The traditional English breakfast was everything it should be and was efficiently served. The place was clean and the staff friendly.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the square.
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This was a small friendly hotel in the King.s Cross area of London. Bed and Breakfast ensuite room with boiling water. Although the toilet facilities were in a small area they were adequate for one person. Breakfast was hot and well cooked. Plenty toast , marmalade, honey or jam.
Spotlessly clean. I got fresh towels without asking.
There was no Tea-making facilities but on request i was given a kettle to boil water. overall this was a pleasant stay.

1  Thank Eric Stevenson M
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Our room was in the basement which is not good since there was no window. We had to keep bathroom door open to get some air from the small window. No internet connection at all. The first day we arrived (three of us) they gave us only two towels. They said they were short on towels expecting delivery to come. We got a third towel next day. The location is very good - minutes away from St Pancras and Kings Cross. They serve traditional English breakfast which was very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family