“Hotel that nearly ruined our holiday”

Lynton Hotel London
Ranked #42 of 575 London B&B and Inns
Köln
“Hotel that nearly ruined our holiday”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

I definitely do NOT recommend this "hotel"! I believed all these good recommendations here and in their netsides and booked a room for 3 nighs. That was a big mistake which ruined my fist day in London.

Yes, so it was so awfully terrible that I could stay only one night (even we had to pay for a two nights) and change the hotel. In their webpage hotel promeses guietness, cleanliness and friendliness. Well i didnt get any of that. First, when we arrived, we werent sure if this is a hotel at all: there were no reseption, no one there to expect us. Then after waiting a while we got some worker to give us keys.

Hallway looked allready dupious plase. It looked messy and stinked like a paint. Whent we opened our room door, it was ok at first. Exept that they had left window open and it was fresking cold in there. I guess they didnt have any other airconditionsystem there. It didnt get much warmer after closing the window eather. It was the most terrible and coldest night in hotel, i've ever slept in! And i have experienced many hotels. And they all were cheaper that this one. Actually, i dont understand how this place can call itself a hotel. Hostel would be better.

Our "bathroom" was another thing that cant be called as a bathroom. There was just one big plasticbox in a corner of the room, that was put there afterwards. There were a toilet and a shower in about 1m2 area, so basically no room to move at all. It looked like the one you can see in boatcabins.

When went to sleep i noticed the roof where the painting which did not look so cosy anymore. Then the beds were oful asswell; my bed consisted of two old piled mattresses and sheet put on to make it look nicer. Allso noices from upstairs when someone flushed the toilet were horrible. It wasn't just the flush, but somekind of loud noice after flushing. Sounded like million rats were running around or something... (not really but sounded like that ;) ) But the coldness were the worst!

There was just one man to take care of the whole place, and could be seen. Like all many of the writers here i didnt get good impession about him. I have done customer servise work for a 6 yers now, i dont think this man knew mutch about it. He was maybe too laid back, so that he seemed to be careless. Sense of humour is a good thing but you cant treat customers like your friends. Also was he very curious and talkative that ii allready started to feel like he is trying to cover all the failings in his hotel. And he stopped to be friendly right after i told that we gonna stay only this one night. Im not gonna write his sentences here but just mention that I felt myself hurt of what he said to me.

I regret that i didnt take pictures to show you. I could recommend this hotel to someone who doesnt care about things i mentioned below. Maybe this place would be ok in a summer, but they have obviouskly not invested on customers who visit London in winter. Still, i dont think this is worth of 90£ as i got a lovely room a Lime Tree Hotel for 105£. They made our holyday there and we are very thankfull to the nice and friendly staff there... without speaking the lovely and WARM room. I can't recommend Lime Tree hotel enough!

• Stayed February 2010
2 Thank piadimuik
markconnor, owner/ manager at Lynton Hotel London, responded to this review, 8 April 2010
I was sad to read the comments regarding our B&B and would like to re-iterate as stated on our web site that we are a small and friendly bed and breakfast located in central London . We provide clean no frills accommodation .The rooms are simple and clean. We provide tea, coffee, towels, soap , free Wi-Fi and a fully cooked hearty English Breakfast ,Our en-suites are very small ( as shown in the gallery on our web site )– we do not provide shampoo, or other toiletries or bathrobes as the guest suggested all B&Bs in London do .
I would also like to clarify some of points made as follows :1/The guests arrived at 11.30 am and departed from the hotel by 6.00pm that afternoon - they did not spend the night .2/ A decorator did open the door because he was working beside it .I myself gave the couple the keys and carried their bags to the room on the third floor, answered and any questions , apologised for the fact that we were decorating the hall way, gave them the security code to the Wi-Fi and asked if I could help in any way .3/ A little later the client told me he could not log on to the internet. I suggested he check that he had disabled some functions and then to turn his laptop on and off .After a short while I went to his room and asked if all was ok . He said that the internet was working but the heating was not .I looked at the fire and showed them how to switch the heater on .The heating in room 11 is an electrical panel heater with a thermostat which is under the sole control of the guest and heats the room concerned very quickly. 4/ The gentleman came down again and said the hairdryer was not working , I took it from him and checked that it worked -he had not realised that you had to switch the switch on the wall socket I joked with him about this ,unfortunately he was not amused with my banter . 5/ The building is old and full of noises however there are no bathrooms above the room he stayed in and no one has ever mentioned any thing about it in the pass. In some of the lower rooms you can sometimes hear a toilet being flushed 6/ We do not compete with the Limetree Hotel whose prices are around 35%+ more than ours but we do use the same laundry7/ I did charge the guest for two nights ; the reason being that just before he told me he was leaving he stood in the hallway ,whilst I told a regular guest whose luggage I had been looking after that we were full for the next three nights . The customer could of said he was leaving at that moment and I could of then re-let the room and only charged for cleaning of the room ;regrettably the room did stay empty for the next two nights .
This business is my living I believe in the saying “treat people how you expect to be treated yourself“. I have been running the B&B for 10 years ,prior to that I was a civil engineer/ construction engineer for 16 years and for a small period time a London cab driver so I do believe I do know how to be good with people ;my whole working life has involved working with people not just 6 years .
I do appreciate any comments good or bad , for example I do know explain how the heater works in all rooms .
Regards Mark Connor –Owner /manager –Lynton Hotel London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2010

It's a great value for money as London hotels are all so expensive.

Owners are very friendly n chatty, makes our stay very enjoyable. Breakfast is good and serving generous and give you a great start to tour around london the whole day.

Our room is on the 3rd level, no stairs but we were warned beforehand so it's not a problem. But for those with really big and heavy lugguages you might want to request for a lower floor room as the stairs can be difficult with big heavy luggages.

Room size is fine but toilet is a little small (but we were warned before as well) so not a big problem too...Internet is free and we can access it without problem from our rooms.

Location is just about 5 mins from victoria station, very convenient as we arrive in from Manchester by train and leave from Gatwick airport. There is an express train from the Victoria station to Gatwick which takes only 30mins.

All in all, it's a no frills place with great value for money. If you are on a budget this is a great place.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
alidiacquarello
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

My mother and I stayed here while traveling before my study abroad term in Canterbury. This place is wonderful. The gentleman who handled our accommodation, Simon, was friendly, courteous, and full of humorous personality. He went out of his way to make us feel welcome. He was quite knowledgeable, answering any and all of our questions and advising us the best restaurants and pubs in the area to go to. Staying at Lynton Hotel has the feel of staying at a friend's house rather than a hotel. Did I mention that Simon cooks up a mean breakfast? It was my first experience with a traditional English breakfast, and to this day I still compare all other breakfasts to his. I only met Mark, Simon's brother, briefly, but from what I hear, his breakfasts are just as delicious and filling. Thanks for a great stay, guys!! I will definitely look them up next time I'm in London, and you should too.

• Stayed September 2008
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

Had a really lovely 4night stay with a friend at the Lynton. The location is excellent and like said in other reviews, close to Victoria station where you can catch a tube easily to anywhere in London. The area was nice, quiet and safe and a walking distance from e.g. Buckingham Palace, Big Ben.

Owners were very friendly - Only saw Simon the day we arrived but Mark helped us with anything we asked and believe me, we had A LOT of questions ;)

The hotel is little worn but we expected that and for us it just added to the charm. Room was clean and spacious. It had the little pod bathroom that some people hate, but since all me and my friend wanted was an affordable, comfortable, clean room with ensuite, we found it served the purpose just fine.

I would definitely recommend the hotel to a friend and will be back myself given the chance. It's an old english period building with a lot of stairs so it's obviously not for everyone but we loved it. It's REALLY hard to find an affordable and clean hotel in London if you're on a budget - believe me, I spent the entire summer looking - so the Lynton was really a great find!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2009

Maybe my expectations were too high. I read reviews of the Lynton Hotel on TA but I guess I was expecting simple and cheap like a 1980s Comfort Inn. I was disappointed when we walked in. London is expensive so we opted to economize, but you get what you pay for. Next time, I'll spend more money for a nicer hotel.

The goods: easily accessible and only a 5 min. walk from Victoria Station; relatively quiet side street thus little street noise (esp. if you request a quiet room on the back side of the hotel); friendly and helpful owners, good location for walking to Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, and local parks; full English breakfast incld. with the room; basic but clean rooms.

The not-so-greats: "bathroom in a box" concept so small you take a shower & use the toilet at the same time; worn-out twin bed furnishings and cheap scratchy towels; torn carpet in the hallways with duct tape holding it together; no A/C or fan for ventilation thus the window must be open all night.

If all you seek is a cheap basic twin-bedded room with a bathroom and no amenities, the Lynton will do. However, it would have been nice to have a few things like some shampoo and hairdryer so I wouldn't have to pack those on the plane, a bathroom large enough to stand in, and a bed that could fit both me and my husband. I felt like I was back in my old college dorm room that was built in the 1890s.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

I agree with the positive reviews found here. I was visiting from the USA and was at the Lynton Hotel for a weekend in July 2009. I found it to be in a great location, with spacious and clean rooms. Mark and Simon are wonderful… very helpful and friendly. Future trips to England will find me at the Lynton when I stop in London.
Chuck

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2009

I stayed with Simon and Mark at The Lynton Hotel from April 9th through April 23rd 2009. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and I will not hesitate in going back there when I return to London. I was traveling by myself and both Simon and Mark went out of their way to make me feel at home and safe. If you have any questions about where to go, what to do or how to get there...Simon and Mark are the "go to" guys for that.

The breakfasts they serve are the best! It's your full English breakfast which contains the best bacon in London in my humble opinion. The location of The Lynton is incredible...Victoria station is less than five minutes walking away and you can get the bus, tube, train or coach from there and end up pretty much anywhere you want to go, in London or outside of. I spent most of my time sight-seeing on the cheap from the brilliant bus service (thanks to Mark who has a spooky knowledge of which bus goes where...).

All in all...it's a really CLEAN, really FRIENDLY, really WELL-SITUATED b&b that meets all the needs a real person could have on their travels. It's basic but comfortable, cheap but not cheesy and did I mention the bacon???

Thanks Simon, Thanks Mark...I'll be back :)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo