“Worst hotel I've stayed in in 30 years of commercial travelling!”
Review of Mayflower Hotel

Mayflower Hotel
Ranked #682 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 June 2014

In short, the staff are rude; I had the duty manager yelling at me, they resort to lying when things go wrong and, as a result, leave you full of mistrust - I was scared leaving my belongings here.

I booked this hotel because I needed parking for a vehicle whilst working the next day. They took payment for the parking, a nice lad took me to a tiny yard with a gate and then showed me back to the hotel. They then said that I had to move the car by 11am. I explained that I couldn't do that and that the main reason why I had booked this hotel was for the parking. The response was UNBELIEVABLE! They said they'd agreed 11am with the person who booked the room - a lie! The lady who booked it had been asked for a hotel with parking that I could use all day. I was treated like dirt rather than customer.

If I had to move the car by 11am then I may as well have booked a hotel further away rather than just around the corner from where I needed to be.

And don't believe the website pictures. The reception area looks nice but this soon turns into a hostel like appearance in the narrow, dark corridors. The room itself was not very clean, was pretty shabby, with very well used furniture. The bed was quite firm and the bathroom would have been okay if it had been clean.

In all honesty, if my only thing to say was that the website was misleading then I'd have taken it on the nose and not bothered adding a review. I was sat on the bed in the room with my stomach in a knot in a mix of anger, fear and upset. I shouldn't really feel like this when good money had changed hands for me to be treated properly.

PLEASE DON'T STAY HERE. There are a number of chain hotels nearby and loads of true boutique hotels that are better than this pretend one. I understand this hotel is one of a group of three - I'll be avoiding all of them in the future and I've ensured that my company books no-one else here.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andrew_Aldis

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We have stayed in the hotel before and everything was...ok. Staff were there but not overly helpful but it was nice.

We booked again using booking.com and had to cancel 12 days in advance of our trip due to a family emergency.

Booking.com has a simple 'cancel now' policy and we had a room we could chance so we did....
The hotel then charged me £250!!!!!!

I called the hotel assuming this was a mistake and they told me that it wasn't their problem to call booking.com, I do so only to be informed that this was totally the hotels choice. They followed up with them, pretty much told us to read the small print and phone was put down.

I couldn't believe how rude the hotel staff were on the phone and how unbelievably unhelpful. If you want any flexibility at all DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL

RUDE, ARROGANT AND GREEDY. sums it up.

Room Tip: I wouldn't ever book a room here again
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kvs_27
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Best thing is that this place is 1-2 mins walk, just around the corner from Earls Court tube which is well serviced by the Piccadilly and District lines. It's also moments from food and drink - restaurants and shops like a small Tesco.
Customer service was friendly and helpful.
The lift is tiny and the room was very small with queen bed (std double) but the building has obviously been refurbed at some stage not long ago and configured to make the best use of space so I'm not complaining about the size. They had used the space available in the most clever and efficient way.
The place is not quiet and peaceful due to backing on to the tube station but in central London, I should think it's fairly impossible to get some quiet.
Room was well equipped with tea/coffee making, wardrobes, dock and TV. Nice toiletries. Iron and board are available from reception which I used.
Breakfast is continental and plentiful. They do full English options for it's about £10. The garden area is really nice if you have time.
I paid £89 incl continental breakfast which was considerably cheaper than the travelodge and far far better!
Happy customer!

Room Tip: Probably a high floor is quieter although you'll have to contend with the lift!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannahwithah
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Ok so I am never usually a person who complains without reason and I am usually the person who looks at reviews and thinks, "oh please you get what you've paid for stop moaning"... BUT on this occasion I really did have an awful time here.

When I arrived the lady on the reception spoke at a rate of about 1000 words a minute and I could not understand her. It was like she was a robot and trying to say everything she has been taught to say, in the quickest way possible.

The corridors are very narrow and claustrophobic plus dirty linen and rubbish bags were left at the bottom of the stairs... fire hazard!

The bedroom/bathroom although they was clean, once again they was both cramped and claustrophobic.

When I arrived back to the hotel, after a tiring evening, all I wanted was a good night's sleep... This did not happen. It seemed that every time a person in the hotel, showered or flushed the toilet, a banging and loud buzzing noise occurred. This continued throughout the night. I called reception and all they said is, "ok I will inform the manager"... no option to move rooms. Very tired at this point, I was not even in the mood to argue this.

I managed to get into a full sleep at about 6.30am and had to be up at 8am so... not exactly the good night's sleep I was hoping for.

Breakfast is ok. Bog standard continental breakfast but dining area is very cramped and as a lady with a big bottom, I struggled to get to my table without having to disturb the other guests by asking them to move.

Upon leaving the receptionist took my key said everything was fine (he was referring to the fact I'd paid), I did not get asked how my stay was neither did they mention anything about my complaint.

The only positive about this hotel is the location as it is a 2 minute walk from earl's court arena and station.

For £125 a night I do not think this is worth it. I understand it's London but I could have stayed in a travelodge for that and got better service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank shinny_d
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I recently stayed here with my boyfriend for 3 nights. The hotel is ideally located being just 2 minutes from Earls Court train station which is on the Picadilly line. Our room was located down a rather pokey corridor and was quite small and very warm and noisy. However it was clean which is always a plus. The staff at reception were friendly and helpful and I would probably stay here again due to the convenience of the location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a simple, clean hotel in a great location, just one street over from the Earls Court tube station and less than a 5 minute walk from numerous restaurants and pubs. We spent 3 nights here to kick off a vacation. We'd stayed here a few years ago and were happy that the property seemed to be upgraded. Our room was clean and basic. And small. Even though our room faced the back of the tube station, it was not noisy, even sleeping with the windows open. Everything worked properly and the staff was pleasant. The continental breakfast was again basic and served in a cramped room on bottom floor.

Central London is very expensive and this place is fairly priced. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room (#19) was one step up from their cheapest.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Booked the hotel thru Booking.com, was surprised the decor of the lobby was very nice as portrayed on the website, but... The room we got was okay but could use a fresh paint to freshen it up. And the hallway to the rooms was quite tiny, so to those who has big suitcases, you might not like the hallway and room size, but since we travel quite light and using small suitcases, it was quite all right.

Bathroom quite tiny, could use the idea of shower curtain in the tub/shower combo, otherwise water splashing everywhere. But overall, love the bathroom the most, enough space for two to put stuff and there is extra cabinet to put your clothes when changing.

But generally a great stay and knowing the price, my friend who lives in London says that I got a very good price considering the place and location, added with breakfast too. Breakfast menu was quite big enough for daily breakfast.

The tube was just steps away, noise was not too evident at all, except if you open the windows but during my stay, was bearable to handle.

And everything else was so close by, from post office to Starbucks, drugstore and indeed we had a nice walk heading to Hyde Park, Royal Albert Hall and Knightsbridge.

And love the surrounding areas too, nice to walk around for sure.

Might go back the next time I am in London, but will definitely love it even more if some minor repairs done to freshen it up just like the lobby. And maybe in the summer time, an air con could be a huge advantage!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends