“Very great experience”

Melbourne House Hotel
Ranked #544 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights since I came to London for business. I had one of the single bed rooms and I was really pleasantly surprised after reading some weird reviews about the two single bed rooms in this hotel. The room was big enough for one person, it was spotlessly clean, it had free wifi which worked without problems, kettle for tea/ coffee, a TV screen and also a sink to wash your face or teeth. The toilet was close by the room, also perfectly clean.

The staff is really nice and helpful - I really liked their kind attitude. What I loved the most about this hotel was its perfect location. It is located in the very central London and within a walking distance to many of the city's great attractions. Also metro station is very close to the hotel, as well as Victoria station. Also, I felt very safe in this neighbourhood and it was very peaceful during the night.

Overall, I strongly recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Brigita P
There are newer reviews for Melbourne House Hotel

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

A nice place to stay when in London. Good installations, very clean, nice breakfast and good service. Bathroom with tub and shower. Well placed, close to British Parliament, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. I recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christian D
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I arrived a bit earlier than the check-in time, so I was able to leave my luggage by the reception. I was warned that London follows a lower standard when it comes to hygiene compared to what I´m used to in Norway and other countries, but the first thing I noticed was how clean everything was. I was assigned room number 1, which is in the lower floor. However, the room is not in the basement, and has a full size window if natural light is important to you.

The bed was very comfortable, not too soft or too hard. The TV has a ton of channels for every preference. The room has an electric kettle so anytime is tea time :)

The breakfast was simple, but good. Im plenty good with just toast and tea, so this was perfect for me (no limits on the toast and tea/coffee which is great). There is also yoghurt, fruits, cornflakes, muesli, croissants, juice, milk.. plenty enough to choose from.

The location is prima, only a few minutes away from Pimlico and a good 10 minute walk from Victora. Victorias underground is connected to both the central and district line, so you can get everywhere without a hassle.

I was aksed to pay the day after I arrived, which is nice. You know for sure what you are getting before you are paying. The price has a great value. Ive been to worse 5 star hotels to twice - even three times the price of what I payed here.

The staff is very, very nice, and it´s lovely to meet a smile after a long and tiring trip. They help you as best as they can, with finding reastaurants, pubs or attractions you should check out.

The wifi is included in the price, but they had some trouble with the wifi in the rooms. I had to sit in the reception. I didn´t go to London to sit on the internet, so this wasnt a problem for me. You can have a nice chat with the receptionist (sorry I didnt catch his name) while you´re at it :)

Are you looking for luxurious rooms and super fancy breakfast? This is not it. However, are you looking for really clean surroundings, excellent beds and a really nice staff that provides what you need for a cheap price in the middle of London, this is definitely the place to go. Everything is so clean and everyone is so welcoming, I cant say that enough times. The owner John takes great pride in his work and it definitely shines through. Everything is so well done. I will definitely come back here if Im going back to London, and I advise you all to try it out.

Room Tip: If you are planning on staying in the room during the day, I would ask to not get the -1 level room...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank walnott
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This place was worse than awful. The room was last decorated and furnished in 1940's. The bedspread was older and was full of holes. There was a wooden folding chair that Peter Kay would have referred to as an "emergency chair" as the only form of seating in the room and the TV was square- when did you last see a TV with a square screen?
A tiny postage stamp of a thin towel and a sachet of shampoo was on the bed. The tea and coffee was in tupperware boxes- no way would I have dared to use them - who knows if they'd been there 40 years!

At breakfast I was totally ignored by the staff who were stood chatting in the kitchen. After about 10-15 mins I called one of them over and asked for coffee which was brought in a stainless steel pot (powdered instant!). There was nothing fresh at breakfast. pastries and cake were plastic packet type and no cooked options. The wifi was so slow it wasnt worth bothering.
Its one saving grace was that it was clean. Now on my blacklist. I will definitely not be staying here again.

Room Tip: go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Nicola K
manuelaLondon, Owner at Melbourne House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

We were disappointed and sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We try to provide the best possible accommodation for our guests, our rooms are renovated frequently and kept up to date on a yearly basis. We understand that tastes and opinions will differ from guest to guest and therefore we always advise to use the picture gallery on our website before booking as it clearly shows the standards of our rooms. Tea and coffee containers are there for hygiene reasons and are changed after every guest departure. If Guests have any kind of query with any of our services or rooms our friendly and staff is always on call to sort it out, no matter as to the nature for the problem. We pride ourselves in being a clean, comfortable and value for money family run Bed and breakfast, in the heart of London. We admit we can’t get it right for all of our guest but we always try to do our best at all times, which can be seen from all our excellent reviews.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Location of the hotel is very good. Close to Victoria station. The room was very small but this is London. The hotel serves a continental breakfast which was very good. Staff was very friendly. Restaurents and pubs are close by. If you are looking for an hotel in London I certainly recommend this one.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed here for 5 days with a friend in mid- October. The hotel was spotlessly clean and very comfortable and the staff were extremely courteous and helpful at all times. The continental breakfast was ample. I would however would have liked to have seen some herbal tea/ decaffeinated tea/ decaffeinated coffee. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chrissie C
Reviewed 22 October 2013

A nicely run place with polite and very helpful people. Armed with your Oyster card you can quickly reach any point in London from there starting from the tube station nearby. Shops and diverse eateries are also close by.

Kudos for the great breakfast: here you will find much more than the minimal "continental" breakfast served in comparable establishments in London. The stuff on display is fresh, varied. and abundant. The strong coffee is guaranteed to wake you up if you have trouble emerging from your sweet dreams!
Space is clearly at a premium in central London and we felt a bit tight in this bedroom, living as is the case for short stays, out-of-the suitcase. As we only slept in the room that did not trouble us.anyway, The wardrobe was roomy. The room was clean,and very quiet. Great to have a water boiler in the room (tea bags and coffe are provided) but it would be even nicer if here or there a few more plugs could be had (cellphones and diverse electronics have to be loaded, etc...)The beds were comfortable although we would have preferred quilt covers to sheets and traditional blankets. The halogen spotlights on the wall above the mini night-tables are set pretty low for anybody who might wish to read in bed and might well get to warm for stuff deposited on the said-tables (careful. halogen gets very hot!). What we missed was a chair or two.

The bathroom was rather small, but immaculate. It would help if some more hooks were added to the walls as there is not much you can deposit anywhere.

All in all there is room for improvement on details but the overall impression remains extremely positive. We will choose this address again when we return to London.

Room Tip: Get one at the back, so that you hear no traffic.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family