“Lovely, just lovely!”

Ranked #548 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
“Lovely, just lovely!”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Staunton has become my hotel of choise when visiting London. It has a very nice cozy feeling to it, the rooms are nice, quiet, clean with good air conditioning. The hotel has been refurbished without loosing the english charm. Breakfast, which is served downstairs, is adequate.

Locationwise its perfect! Just a short walk to Soho and Covent Garden, nearest tube just a couple of blocks away

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Per C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
England
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I stayed in this hotel in mid October 2012 and was disappointed at what I got for the £160 price I paid for one night's stay. Is an old Victorian style house now made into a hotel which is okay. Design, decor is good however no lifts to rooms on floor 1 & above which can be a struggle for elderly or those with kids.

I had a ground floor, twin room which faced the road outside the hotel. Room was nice however way too warm. If you wanted air conditioning on during the night to cool it down, it was too noisy therefore you sacrificed sleep. Windows couldn't be opened.

4am+ I quickly learnt that either buses or Heavy Vehicles pass the front of the hotel, on average once every 5 minutes, rattling the room, therefore my sleep was gone for the night. I'd have been better travelling down from the north of England early that morning on the train for an event that morning/afternoon as I'd have had more sleep.

Anyway I advised the reception the next morning about the traffic issue and all she could say is if you stay again, please ask for a room that is located to the rear of the building. I left a letter for the management to see and it was never responded to.

I then backed this up with an email via the hotel's website about 10 days later (late October) advising my complaint hadn't been responded to, please could management contact me. No response.

So overall, I wasn't keen to put this review on however the don't care attitude from the management has made me review here. I'd say to anyone, stay away from it if you want a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: If definitely planning to stay here, request a room that doesn't face the road outside the front...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank scankaroo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed here at end of October 2012. It is very clean and the breakfasts were excellent. Like most London hotels converted from former residential properties, space is adequate but limited. The location, beside Bedford Square, Oxford St and 3 Tube stations, is excellent. Staff were friendly and helpful. For most families visiting London on the average budget I would highly recommend this hotel. It does not have a bar and restaurant but that was not an issue for us.
We did not have any complaints with this hotel at all. It is a very good value hotel in a great location. Bloomsbury is worth staying in anyway. Rooms are double and twin but if you do not like climbing too many steps then ask for a ground or first floor room.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, not looking onto Gower St.. If you do not want to climb too many stairs then s...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Toronto
Reviewed 31 October 2012

This hotel is a little gem on Gower Street. Although Goodge Street tube station appears to be the closest, Russell Square station is actually almost the same walking distance (I tested it!) and is on the Piccadilly Line from LHR and thus avoids a change of tube lines carrying luggage. The hotel is clean, quiet, and I was pleasantly surprised by the size of my room (a double on the top floor) and its excellent and clean bathroom with a spacious shower. The room rate included breakfast which includes hot items cooked to order. The hotel has no elevators but I didn't mind as I considered climbing the stairs to be my exercise away from home. On one morning when the hotel seemed crowded there was no hot water in the shower - so my advice is, shower early! The staff were all very pleasant and helpful except for one server at breakfast who seemed a bit surly. I did manage to get a smile out of her at one point, though. All in all, a really great value in a good location.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room facing Gower Street as it is a one-way road and traffic can be noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This was a nice clean hotel in a very good location. Just a short walk, once I figured it out, from the Goodge St tube station. Breakfast was good, staff was friendly. Room and bathroom were small but so what? It was clean and the bed was good and so was the food to start my day before I went out to explore, that is all I need. I stayed in the basement so the stairs weren't an issue. The neighborhood and thus building look like they are easily over a hundred years old so no suprise on no elevator. I would easily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We received a very warm welcome and we found the room large and comfortable.
However, we found that before breakfast, we had no hot water for the shower. We reported this to the lady in reception who was rather 'short', rude and most definitely unapologetic. We felt this was not really acceptable service for nearly £170 per night.

• Stayed October 2012
Reviewed 7 October 2012

It is near the British museum & near to 2 subway stations. We have booked a Triple room w/ one King bed & 1 small bed for 3 Adults for 2 nights. The room is clean, spacious & the beds are comfortable, though the small bed is not long enough for a 6' tall person. Our room is facing the main road, but we are not disturbed by the noise of traffic outside. We had very good sleep for both nights. Breakfast is served at Basement, order to cook, very nice. .... Be aware that this hotel has no lift/elevator! You have to climb a narrow spiral stairs up to your room! This may be a drawback from choosing this hotel if you have big suitcases w/ you! Otherwise, this is a good hotel for your holiday.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family