Saint Simeon
US$217
  • Pool
US$203
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe natural history museumfrom gloucester road tube stationenglish breakfastthe royal albert hallquiet streetnice breakfastfew minutes walkkensingtonstairwellreceptionistsupermarketundergroundpubs
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Ok, I'll sum up my not so good experience in a couple of sentences:

Pros - good location, couple of minutes from Gloucester road station, relatively close to the city center
- the staff. The Guy who worked there was from Serbia I think, Great chap. Always loved Serbs.

Cons - Oh my God, where to start...
I've seen "sharing room" as they call it, I was offered it first, since it's the cheapest they had - room with 10 beds, dirty blankets, smelly, dingy, moldy...
I decided to take single room, 60 pounds a night - solid price, but... Small room, dusty, window not fitting well, no heating, wet towels (???). I went for the breakfast in the morning and regretted it badly - it was served in the basement, a 'full English breakfast' which was nothing but crap. The fruit, or fresh fruit as they call it was a nightmare. I'm not exaggerating. It looks like it has been sitting on those shelves for ages. It probably has. And there is the boss of the hotel, an ugly old man who goes around offering people that very same fruit... Horrific. Very pushy, by the way, gets insulted if you refuse to take it. AAAAArghhh...
There was something wrong with the eggs, too. I could swear that the 'best before' date was long gone.

To sum up. If you go there, you'll get a cheap room. And that's it. You'll also get to know the pushy owner, who occasionally yells like a lunatic and tries to be charming. Yup. Both at the same time.
Good luck to you all.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank traveller3252
Reviewed 24 February 2011

we came across this hotel after cancelling a previous dirty one, we found the hotel staff extremely helpful in all aspects of our visit, this hotel is a budget hotel but very clean and we always left in the morning with full bellys

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank calkez
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We stayed in a room with our 3 children. We were pleased when we saw the room with a double and a single on one floor and 3 singles on a large mezzanine.

Loads of food at breakfast time and whilst we found it an unusual experience, we enjoyed it and were set for the day with full bellies.

If you are only used to sterile, commoditised chain hotels then you might be out of your comfort zone. If more open minded then you have a good value base to explore London from. By the way, for those with kids, London's excellent museums are within walking distance and they are free!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I booked this hotel as I was attending a concert at the Royal Albert Hall and was looking for somewhere cheap to lay my head for he night. Originally I was supposed to be staying there with a friend but she had to cancel the the last minute however if she had stayed we would have only paid £34.50 each for the night in a hotel in Kensington, inc full breakkfast - not bad! The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful and made me feel very welcome. The room, although a long way from the Ritz was adequate, clean and tidy. It was basic, but I didn't have any higher expectations for the price, The location was excellent, being close to Gloucester Rd tube and also a 10 minute walk from teh Albert Hall/Hyde Park. Many musuems are also close by. There were a few random items of furniture dotted around the building and it was a bit rickety however having read some of the reviews on here I thought it was going to be much worse. I felt compelled to write a review because I feel some of the reviews on here are unfair and if you are looking for somewhere cheap and clean in this area of London, I would recommend here - just don't expect anything special in terms of decor/furniture and you won't be dissapointed. The staff, location and price more than make up for it's shortcomings.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My friend and I stayed in Saint Simeon Hotel for four nights. This is a small hotel run by a family. We found everyone from the receptionist, chef, kitchen helpers and the owner to be very accommodating, generous and warm. The location is only 10 minutes from the Gloucester Road tube station and also a bus stop is close by. From the tube station you walk along the main road with shops, restaurants, money exchange bureaus. Harrington Garden Street is lined up with apartments and trees, which really makes it homey.

When we checked in, they showed us two rooms but we took the one on the 4th floor; one (1) twin and one (1) single. The rooms are clean and so is the bathroom. It's adequate for two people. The hotel has an elevator which is really a plus. The breakfast room is in the basement. Everyday they offer full hot breakfast consisting of egg, sausage, ham and beans. In addition, there is an assortment of breads, jams and plenty of fruits to choose from. The owner personally go to each guest and offer plates of fruits. Although we observed that the kitchen is not well kept. In the afternoon, there are still dishes, pots and pans stacked up waiting to be washed. The dining area is wifi'ed for those who bring their own laptop.

I would recommend this hotel to someone (friend) who's looking for a good accommodation and customer service without the hefty price.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends