“Avoid like the plague!”

Ranked #710 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Whitby, Canada
“Avoid like the plague!”
Reviewed 17 September 2011

This is the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at. My wife and I booked and prepaid for a four night stay. Once booked in though you can not get any of your money back if you want to leave early so beware.. The room was deplorable: dirty, cramped (7 ft.wide). The bathroom was barely functional. This hotel reminds me of old Soviet Union accomodations. Noisy all night with doors slaming, loud voices, creaking floors, and walls so thin you can hear your neighbours doing their business during the night. The doors don't even have door handles. No soap or shampoo unless you make a special request. At breakfast you must sit where you are told and are provided and as a reward are offered copious amounts of fruit that is in various stages of decay. I can't think of a single good thing to say about this except that we made it out alive and it is an experience we will never forget.

Room Tip: Stay far away!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BMorris2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We were very pleased with our recent stay at Saint Simeon. The hotel staff bent over backwards to accommodate us. The room was larger than expected, clean and very comfortable. The location was terrific- beautiful, safe neighborhood. The kids were impressed by all the sports cars parked on our street- ferraris, maseratis, etc! Hotel is a 5 minute walk from the Gloucester Road station- very convenient. This place is nothing fancy, but it's a very nice hotel for a reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights with my husband, 2 young daughters and my mother-in-law. We had a family room, which actually sleeps 7. The layout of the room was very accommodating, with 2 single beds and bunk beds on the main level. Then you go up stairs to a loft with a single bed and a double bed. The bathroom was very old and in desperate need of updating. The toilet wouldn't flush without effort. The sink's faucets were way too close to the back of the sink, making if very difficult to wash your hands.

The location has a lot of street noise with vehicles going nonstop all night. You have to open the balcony doors for ventilation (no air conditioning). Yes, there is a balcony, but you share it with the room next door. You have to make sure the balcony doors are locked before you leave the room for security. And they were hard to open and close!

Breakfast was included and served downstairs. We only ate there once, as that was more than enough! They had tons of fruit, but there were flies around it! And the father of the family keep pushing the fruit on us. Very annoying!

This hotel is family run and they do try hard, but the building desperately needs updates and renovations. When we went to check in, our room wasn't ready yet. They stowed our luggage in the dining area and we went off to explore London. It was obvious they rushed getting our room ready because when we got back a few hours later, our sheets were still damp! I turned down the bed and we went to dinner. By the time we got back, they were dry, but that unnerved me. While I could see the effort being made here, I don't recommend this hotel unless they go through a major renovation.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dawnie22

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Because of several reasons I had to leave the flat of a friend one day before my train went back to Paris. An agency at Victoria Coach Station found St. Simeon for that one missing night and for me it was okay. As it was on very short term I paid almost 30 pounds for a bed in a mixed shared room with three men and one woman. It would be too much for a "normal" booking in reasonable time but I read their regular prices on the website and I think they are okay and I would return to that hotel for my next holidays in London.
The neighbourhood is very posh with several luxury hotels nearby. The hotel itself is in a house close to a garden and only two minutes from tube station Gloucester Road away. Near the station there are some fast food restaurants and bars and a small super-market.

Some negative reviews (like dusty/small/shabby) may be right, however I did not have problems with that. I am not made out of sugar and dust has never killed anyone (and I have seen worse).
Other reviews complained that the linen were dirty, but my bed was totally okay . The bedcover with floral print was old and worn out, as seemed all bedcovers, but not dirty. The staff was friendly and the fully English breakfast with fruits very good.

I would recommend that hotel to travellers who need the hotel as a place to sleep and who can acknowledge the difference between a sterile chain hotel as can be found in every bigger city and a hotel run by a family and with a soul like St. Simeon.

PS: When you enter the hotel look at the wall on the right side in the hallway and read the inscription underneath the statue! I think it can tell you more about St. Simeon and its owners than any review.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 June 2011

A very no frills budget hotel in a very posh neighborhood. The hotel is only a stones throw from a Millenium Hotel and a Waldorf Astoria Hotel, so you know your in good company.

We stayed in the room that fit 5 and had 4 people for most of the trip. Our room had 1 double bed and 3 singles (twins). The beds were very college dorm esque, which I am not saying is a bad thing. Just letting you know.

The hotel and room were very clean. We stayed on the 4th floor and the room seemed to get warm with the windows closed so we always kept one open a little.

Very convient location to the Gloucester Road tube. Its about a 4-5 min walk from tube to hotel. Very safe neighborhood. I walked it all different hours of the day and night and never felt scared.

The kitchen closes at 9 yet the staff came in and out of it all the time. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who just wants a place to rest their head at night and is looking for no frills. If they offer to haggle taxi prices for you, do not do it or entertain it. Just walk one block up to the Millenium where there is a taxi rank and get one of those.

Room Tip: I found our room on Expedia.com
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2011

I booked this hotel with a degree of trepidation because of the very mixed reviews I had read, but I was interested in its position relative to the Natural History Museum as we had a baby and a 4 year old. I found it to be excellent, If you are looking for the hotel to be part of a luxury break don't go here, but if you just need somewhere convenient and reasonably cheap to rest and sleep, this little hotel is absolutely fine. The staff were kindness personified, the owner appears to be very keen that his guests eat their 5 a day in the form of fruit, which is not a bad thing! It is true the rooms were smallish, but they were completely clean and quiet for London. We had our own bathroom, and there is a lift. Towels were changed daily. The telly was small and old, but we didn't actually go to London to watch telly... All in all I found it very refreshing not to be staying in a boring old chain hotel. This hotel has its foibles, but it is absolutely fine. The only minus was that there was no tea making facility in the room, but you could actually go downstairs to the kitchen to make a pot. Other reviewers have said the owner/boss was difficult, but he was polite and helpful to us, as were all the staff.

Room Tip: Brilliant 4 Museums Albert.Hall, Kensington Gdns
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Ok, I'll sum up my not so good experience in a couple of sentences:

Pros - good location, couple of minutes from Gloucester road station, relatively close to the city center
- the staff. The Guy who worked there was from Serbia I think, Great chap. Always loved Serbs.

Cons - Oh my God, where to start...
I've seen "sharing room" as they call it, I was offered it first, since it's the cheapest they had - room with 10 beds, dirty blankets, smelly, dingy, moldy...
I decided to take single room, 60 pounds a night - solid price, but... Small room, dusty, window not fitting well, no heating, wet towels (???). I went for the breakfast in the morning and regretted it badly - it was served in the basement, a 'full English breakfast' which was nothing but crap. The fruit, or fresh fruit as they call it was a nightmare. I'm not exaggerating. It looks like it has been sitting on those shelves for ages. It probably has. And there is the boss of the hotel, an ugly old man who goes around offering people that very same fruit... Horrific. Very pushy, by the way, gets insulted if you refuse to take it. AAAAArghhh...
There was something wrong with the eggs, too. I could swear that the 'best before' date was long gone.

To sum up. If you go there, you'll get a cheap room. And that's it. You'll also get to know the pushy owner, who occasionally yells like a lunatic and tries to be charming. Yup. Both at the same time.
Good luck to you all.