“Great location, great breakfast, but not so great night’s sleep”
Review of Saint Simeon

Saint Simeon
Ranked #700 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“Great location, great breakfast, but not so great night’s sleep”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel had many pros but also quite a few cons that would make me hesitate in staying here again.

Let me start with the pros:

• All day access to fruits, coffee, and tea. The fruit variety is quite impressive. They had bananas, apples, oranges, pears, persimmons, pomegranates, peaches, mangoes, and berries. Being a huge fruit eater, I was very appreciative of the selection, and they seemed to be refreshing the fruits daily from the market.
• Kind staff and nice customer service. The front desk is manned pretty much all day up until midnight though they have to hop away at different points during the day to take care of things. (staff seems quite lean; the same staff that prepares your breakfast is the same ones that do all the housekeeping chores all day so you may want to forgive them if they aren’t the most chipper in the mornings). We had a very early morning flight to catch and the night before, we told the receptionist so he could take our key. He mentioned that since we were definitely going to be missing breakfast, we could take as much fruit from their downstairs stock as we like. This was much appreciated as we had something to munch on while heading out to the airport. Another quick story to share on good customer service. I asked for ice cubes for my juice. While they don’t have ice cubes, the hotel staff went to the kitchen freezer and retrieved a Tupperware filled with frozen water and proceeded to use a knife to cut me off some ice chips. Though this wasn’t exactly what I had in mind, she managed to still fulfill my request for ice and I was very appreciate of her creativity and efforts.
• Amazing location in the beautiful Kensington neighborhood. Many tourist attractions are very easy to get to from this hotel, including the Natural History Museum, Victoria & Albert Museum, Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park, Harrod’s, etc. It is right near 2 Tube stations -- Earl’s Court and Gloucester Road, with Gloucester Road tube station being the closest one but you may want to consider taking Earl’s Court (not too much farther of a walk) to save money on transportation as it is not in the central zone, or zone 1. (which has higher fares) Tip: Note that until December 2014, the Piccadilly line to Gloucester Road is closed for maintenance so you will need to take the Central and District lines instead.
• Nice neighborhood with plenty of restaurants and pubs around, Paul’s bakery, and a 24 hour supermarket (Tesco Express)
• Full English breakfast that is made fresh every morning. It is quite delicious and includes eggs, bacon, tomato, mushrooms, sausage, cheese, cucumbers, and of course – plenty of fruit. Drinks include coffee, tea, and blueberry or orange juice (Don’t have high expectations when it comes to juice. It is definitely not fresh squeezed juice; it is artificially flavored juice diluted with 2/3 water. We watched her make it). Please note that you should arrive there before 8:30 AM for less crowds and better service (Breakfast is served from 7:30 AM – 9:30 AM)
• Good price (via hotels.com) especially for this expensive, posh part of town. I also really liked the flexible cancellation policy which really helped ease the stress of booking a last minute hotel.

And here are the cons which makes me hesitant to book here again:

• Horrible night’s sleep unfortunately. This was due to some inconsiderate and noisy neighbors, (which I know isn’t the hotel’s fault) but they essentially kept my family and I up all night. The hotel walls are VERY thin. You can hear everything (and I mean, EVERYTHING) so it’s not so pleasant when you’re trying to get some rest or just want some peace and quiet after a busy and tiring day. The hotel is also very close quarters to some other residences (or perhaps businesses) and if we had the window open, we could hear everyone’s conversations very clearly.
• Beware if you’re going in the summertime – NO AIR CONDITIONING or fans! The lack of A/C was also a contributing factor to our poor night’s rest. There was a lone window we could crack open in the room, but that did not provide much relief. We spent the entire few nights we stayed at this hotel drenched in sweat. This was probably the worst part of our stay.
• A few items in the room were not working, such as our night stand lamp. Also, some of the power outlets in our room were not functional.
• There is no safe at this hotel; however, you can keep your valuables with the front desk and they will issue a “ticket” for you to use to claim later. However, it’s a good idea just to take all valuables with you wherever you go
• Space won’t be your best friend here. Even for a triple room, there is barely any room to move at all. The bathroom is very small as well. The mirrors were clearly made for tall people (or is this a British thing?) as my family and I could only see our top of head and eyes when using the mirror.
• I had read about previous reviewers warning the community not to stay in Room #3 in the basement. Now I see what they are talking about. Try to request another room if they try to give you that room. It is located downstairs where they prepare breakfast and there is a general common eating area which can become very noisy. So unless you don’t plan on sleeping in, your sleep will for sure be disrupted given how thin the walls are here. Plus it really does seem kind of like punishment to be banished to the basement!
• Hotel doesn’t provide any toiletries automatically in the room. You must ask for it. You should probably bring your own.
• The towels are quite aged and very rough. I would suggest bringing your own towel from home. You might just be thrilled that you did.
• Terrible and weak wifi signal. Though wifi is provided free of charge, half the time, I spent trying to establish a connection. It was incredibly spotty and inconsistent. I spoke to the receptionist about it and he had to reset it.

This hotel is in an amazing, convenient location and if it weren’t for the good price to go along with it, I wouldn’t have chosen this spot. In the end, I was on a budget and it fit my needs financially. I likely won’t stay here again in the future, but I wanted to share my experience with everyone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Braemer26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Located on a quiet, charming street in Kensington, the neighborhood is the best thing this place has going for it. The immigrant family who run the hotel were friendly, and the included breakfast was more than generous, including a nice selection of fresh fruit. Now for the down side: my two grown daughters and I were assigned to the absolutely smallest hotel room I have ever seen in my life. With our luggage, we could barely squeeze into the room and shut the door behind us. There was no place to open a suitcase, other than the two beds. No closet, no place to hang up clothes, one tiny shelf in the tiny, but adequate, bathroom. The WiFi rarely worked, and we never even tried the T. V. The furnishings were on the shabby side, but we did get clean towels every day. There is no lobby, just a narrow hallway with a check-in desk, and no place to sit or wait for anyone, unless you go down to the basement dining room. We went ahead and stayed the 4 nights we had booked, as we were on -the-go all day and only there to sleep. I would not recommend this place to any of my friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Penny C
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Need a place to stay for 1 night in South Kensington area and used my free night from Welcome Rooms earned with Hotels. com. Glad I didn't pay for it as St Simeon was very basic indeed. Don't think I've ever stayed in a place where they provided neither a glass for a drink of water nor soap in the bathroom. Apparently you need to ask for these. Free cooked breakfast was a nice touch, though. Really though, poor value for money if you end up paying more than £50/night to stay here.

Room Tip: maybe avoid the basement- gets a bit noisy when they're setting up for breakfast in the morning
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank 9PT

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed 12 June 2014

St Simeon hotel deserves more than a 2-star hotel quality. The service is not matchable; no one rivals the price; the included breakfast is amazing; and it is located in a prime location, with a short walk from the underground.

I have traveled to London several times. Nothing has been better that my stay at St. Simeon. Great hotel and they scored a customer for life! Thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at Saint Simeon and really enjoyed myself. The room was simple, but very clean. The staff were very welcoming and always made sure that I was happy. The breakfast was fantastic and it was nice that I could go down to the kitchen in the evening and make myself something to drink. I would highly recommend Saint Simeon!

Claire

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Claire S
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was booked at another nearby hotel for a single room at the end of April. I travel regularly between Europe and London for work. I arrived very late at my usual hotel which is right next door well after midnight in fact due to the tubestrike.

When I was ushered over to St Simeon the the gentleman at the reception was polite, efficient and helpful. normally the reception desk is unmanned after midnight till early in the morning but he stayed because he knew I was due. I guess I must have looked pretty tired after a long journey and was offered something to eat which was a nice gesture.

The checkin process was very quick and easy

Good old fashioned key and so no complications with cards ect. Tv was dead easy to work. I was up the top near the lift. The room was clean neat and tidy and bed pillows blankets ect were fine.

I was in a bit of a rush in the morning but was the first down for breakfast. There was plenty to eat and coffee toast and eggs made to my liking. I disagree with some of the reviews on this website, yes there was an abundance of fruit but was of good quality.

The staff there have been helpful in making a booking for me in May for a full week at a VERY competitive price, especially for that area. Overall I was more than satisfied my my overall experience.
Carl.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank carl m
Cardiff, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We booked a triple room for one night at a cost of £166. I thought it was going to be a good experience as the hotel lobby is lovely. The first thing the receptionist did was warn us not to leave valuables in our room which didn't exactly fill me with confidence. She showed us to our room which was in the basement and my heart sank. It had a double and a single bed crammed into it, leaving no space for storage. It was really dingy and gloomy. I really don't know what could be done to make it any better other than demolishing it. The room was freezing cold and the heating wasn't working. We had got soaked as it was raining so were badly in need of some warmth. She said she would bring a heater but then disappeared. We ended up taking refuge in a nearby pub which had a fire. We really didn't want to go back to the room after the concert ended, and stayed in the KFC until 1am when it closed and we were forced to return. The room was still freezing, although the beds were comfortable and at least clean.
The breakfast was ok, although the hotel has an obsession with displaying fruit (which is in various stages of decomposition) everywhere in the dining room and hallway.
Wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the basement!! BRRRR!!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family