“Great location Highly Recommended.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Vere Devonport House

De Vere Devonport House
Ranked #396 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Paris, France
“Great location Highly Recommended.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

I have stayed here countless times and I like it for several reasons. The first is that you have a free private car park which means no stress or hassle, I used to leave the car there and go up to London on the Thames boat which is so much nicer than the train if you have the time of course. The rooms are big, clean and bright. The breakfast buffet is excellent and you can walk to the Royal observatory since Greenwixh Park is a stone's throw away. Greenwich itself is wonderful of course so that's why I love staying here plus you will never find the equivalent type of hotel for the same price in central London. The Cutty Sark is tw minutes walk as is the Maritime Museum, the hotel is a historical landmark since it was formally the Royal Naval Academy and there are still loads of maritime related artefacts on the walls which makes a nice touch. The staff are very friendly and will happily recommend all the good restaurants and pubs nearby. Concert goers going to the O2 are only a mile away from the venue but make sure you reserve well in advance as there are lots of business conferences etc going on regularly so its always busy. Decent bar as well for chilling out after a day in London.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Thank you very much for your complimentary review of Devonport House. I am so pleased to hear that you continue to return for a relaxing stay and that you enjoy our free car park which enables you to use one of the many alternative forms of transport available in Greenwich into Central London. I am glad to hear that you find our rooms bright and clean each time you stay and that our plentiful Breakfast buffet sets you up to face the day! I am overjoyed you appear to explore more of Greenwich each time you stay and that our staff are able to provide you with helpful tips about the area too. I am pleased that our staff always make you feel welcome and that you find the time to relax in our Admiral’s Bar during your visits. I look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay.

Alan Whiteley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

Devonport House is a fantastic wedding venue. We recently celebrated our wedding and had a wonderful and memorable occasion. The overall standard of the hotel is very good but what sets the Devonport apart is its fantastic staff. At all times they were welcoming, friendly and accommodating to us and all our guests.

Working with Christine, the wedding coordinator, was a pleasure, she helped plan the perfect day for us and ensured we remained within our budget. We really enjoyed meeting with Michiel, the head chef, to discuss and evolve the type of food we wanted. With his passion for food and his creative suggestions, we had complete faith in him. Michiel and his team produced a wonderful meal, far exceeding standard wedding fare. There were many compliments from our guests. Kush and his service team also did a great job ensuring all our needs were satisfied. Most of our guest stayed more than one night in the hotel and by all accounts were happy with the rooms. The hotel was also very accommodation to children. Any small problems that inevitably arose were suitably dealt with and did not detract from our overall high level of satisfaction.

Overall, we were delighted we held our wedding at Devonport House. Also, the hotels location in the heart Greenwich and close proximity to Greenwich Park was perfect for us.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Many thanks for such a lovely review of Devonport House and a big thank you for allowing us to be a part of making such a memorable day even more special. I am so pleased to hear that both you and all your guests appreciated that “extra mile” service that all our team endeavour to achieve on all occasions and that our staff were able to make you and your guests feel welcome and well cared for. I will ensure that your kind comments are passed on to Christine, Michiel, Kush and the rest of the team who will be thrilled. I am glad to hear that Christine was able to help you in planning you big day and help you keep within your budget! I am overjoyed to hear that Michiel was also a big help in creating the wow factor when it came to your wedding breakfast and that Kush and our food and beverage team were able to ensure that service ran smoothly and your guests needs were well catered for. I am pleased that everybody enjoyed their bedrooms and their stay overall and that you particularly enjoyed our location. I look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps for your anniversary! I wish you both congratulations for the beginning of your new life together.

Stockton on Tees
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night with hubby for The Rolling Stones concert (which was fab by the way).
Car parking facility.
Welcoming reception staff.
Happy to look after our luggage until able to check in.
Room was clean, tea/coffee, bathroom. Beds comfortable, room warm.
Breakfast not included in our stay but available for us to purchase if changed our minds.
Brochures available to check out local area.
Curry Sark, O2 arena, Maritime museum all local to hotel

• Stayed November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Thank you for your positive review of Devonport House I am pleased that you found our reception staff welcoming and that you were pleasantly surprised with their helpful nature towards storing baggage. I am glad you enjoyed your bedroom and the facilities therein finding them both comfortable and clean. As you saw from your visit we have plenty of brochures in the hotel and our staff are brimming with knowledge about the surrounding areas so perhaps on your next stay you can visit a little more of Greenwich! I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed here on Sunday 2nd December 2012 with plans to visit the 02 Arena for a concert. My friend and I arrived around 11.30pm to a very welcoming member of staff who was very helpful. We stayed in Room 117 and I must say, the room was huge! We had two single beds and an en suite, plus the usual tea and coffee facilities.

The room came with two large sash windows and it felt like were staying somewhere special in London. The building was beautiful, and my friend and I both said we would love to return in the summer as the area is beautiful.

In terms of getting the the 02, the hotel is based very close to the tube and DLR. that said, my friend and I ended up getting a taxis there which costed us around £7.00. On return it was around £18.00 due to the traffic out of the 02 - but still the best option as the que for the tube was horrendous.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but found a McDonalds right next to the train station which was great for us having to keep moving.

If I have one complaint, the single bed I stayed in wasn't secure and kept moving around when I sat on it! A daft thing, but its really annoying when you want to sit down and our bed pushes away from you!!! Not a deal breaker, obviously!!!

Overall- stay at this hotel- it's brilliant!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Thank you very much for your complimentary review of our hotel. I am so pleased we were able to give you and your friend a first class experience for your weekend stay and that you enjoyed our beautiful surroundings. I am glad to hear that you were able to choose what sort of transport you preferred at ease; they are all in such close proximately that it gives many options. I am pleased that you found your bedroom luxurious and thank you for your valid comment regarding the bed moving, I have notified our Maintenance Manager who has already fixed this issue. I must say, I am a little disappointed to hear that McDonalds was chosen over us for Breakfast! I am sure our Breakfast buffet s much more nutritious! :) I look forward to welcoming you back in the summer for another enjoyable stay.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

Devonport house offers comfortable, above standard and warm and welcome rooms which turn the busy London feeling you get in the day a lot more relaxing in the evening. The hotel is modern very fresh and the staff are superb. They Buzzing to see you in the morning for breakfast and making you feel ready for the day and more than welcome. Especially in the restaraunt where staff interpact to form a realtionship with you to find out just what you want. The meals are not only excellently presented but of such a high calibre. Very impressive. I can see just why the venue could is perfect for a quiet stop over or a business meeting point with a touch of class. Fresh fruit waiting in your bedroom on arrival and a proffessional yet ever so friendly atmosphere make it perfect when away on business. Would definaltey reccomend a stay here. Just outside the huge congested areas of London and situated in the lovely area of Greenwich which hosts its own attractions, but leaves you never to far away from the belly of the city. Will definatley return!

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Thank you for your positive comments with regard to your recent stay with us at Devonport House, I am pleased you found the high standards of De Vere allowed you to relax on your stay and you were able to unwind after a hectic trip into London. I am glad our staff were able to make you feel welcome and went the extra mile to ensure you had everything you may need. I am pleased you were able to enjoy our seasonal menu and that it met your tastes exactly. I am glad you can appreciate our little touches which make our hotel perfect for a trip to Greenwich or for business as well. I am so pleased you are already planning your return and look forward to welcoming you back when you do.

Weston-super-Mare, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

My Wife and I with another couple stayed here for a weekend, easy to find and close to transport links. Hotel is great, clean, tidy and welcoming. Staff were helpful and competent, breakfast restaurant manager is an absolute legend and will entertain your bleary eyes in the morning!

The room was lovely and has everything you would need for a weekend in London, bed was comfy.

Food, only ate breakfast there and was excellent. (try The Hill in Greenwich for dinner, stunning Mediterranean!)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review of your weekend stay with us at Devonport House. I am so pleased you found us easily and that your stay was so comfortable. I am glad to hear you found everything you needed in your bedroom and that our staff were able to cater to all your needs. I am glad if it was only one meal you experienced with us it was Breakfast, the most important meal of the day! I am pleased that you enjoyed our plentiful buffet and that Averton was able to entertain you as well. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Bedford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

The staff provided a wonderful welcome and were extremely helpful and efficient throughout our stay. Our room was well maintained and clean and had every facility we needed.

Breakfast was buffet style and very nice with plenty of choice.

The hotel is in a fantastic location to explore Greenwich and the surrounding areas (in fact just a stones throw from Greenwich park, the National Maritime Museum and the Cutty Sark). Easy access to the West End via the DLR/underground or river boats. The staff were extremely helpful in providing information and timetables etc.

All in all a wonderful hotel in a great location. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Thank you very much for your positive comments with regard to your recent stay with us at Devonport House. I am so pleased you found a warm welcome on arrival and found our staff helpful and efficient throughout your stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our plentiful Breakfast buffet and found everything you needed in your bedroom. I am overjoyed that you like most of our guests, managed to explore Greenwich during your stay and came to the realisation that we are a fabulous centre point for anyone wishing to enjoy a visit to Greenwich or even going into Central London. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.