“Great Hotel: I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.”

De Vere Devonport House
Ranked #382 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed here having run the London Marathon that day and whilst preparing to cycle to Manchester the following day for Prostate Cancer UK. Everyone at the hotel, pre and during our stay were fantastic. The rooms were bright and clean, the hotel was in a quiet area of London helping to relax but within easy distance of central London. The food and breakfast at the hotel was of high standard and what you’d expect from a De Vere.

If you're visiting London you really cannot beat this place as a location. Greenwich is a fantastic place to stay as a tourist. The hotel is on the door of Greenwich Park, the town with its shops bars and restaurants and of course the Cutty Sark.

If you’re looking for a hotel to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of City London life with the convenience of the city being just a short tube away then this is your oasis and cannot be beaten.

Room Tip: Book early and take advantage of Greenwich as well as London.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank runningman_running
Will S, Deputy General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review i am pleased that you were able to find a bit of respite at Devonport House whilst completing your epic challenge! I hope that all went well with the cycle to Manchester after the Marathon and you have managed to recover! I look forward to welcoming you back to Devonport house again soon, maybe for a relaxing leisure weekend this time!

Will

Write a ReviewReviews (1,462)

Reviewed 24 April 2013

We booked the Devonport in Greenwich for an event we were attending at the O2. It isn't the closest hotel, a £10 cab ride, but it is in a nice area of London and felt quite safe to wander around on the way back at night.

On first impressions, it has the feel of a conference hotel, and I am sure it does this very well. Consequently it was (good for us) quite quiet on a Sunday night.

We checked in early Sunday afternoon, quickly and efficiently, and reception arranged for a taxi to take us to the O2. We had a twin room for myself and my daughter which was big enough, with a large bathroom, both of which seemed newly refurbished.

The concert finished late and we headed back to Greenwich hoping to find somewhere to eat. Unfortunately at nearly 11pm on a Sunday night, almost everywhere in Greenwich was closed. This included the restaurant at the hotel, room service and the bar was about to close. The night manager however, offered to make us a quick sandwich which he did very quickly and very well presented, and delivered it to us in the bar - he was a life saver as it had been a very long day!

We took our time leaving the following morning, so can not comment on breakfast. The hotel had also agreed a late check out, at no extra cost, so we were not rushing to vacate the room, despite the fact we were paying a greatly reduced rate booked on line.

Location is top notch, just off the main part of Greenwich, close to the Cutty Sark and with the park and the Naval Museum pretty much next door.

But overall, the hotel owes most to its staff, who were excellent and we could not find fault.

Two quick tips - Greenwich market is closed on a Monday, which was disappointing, and the Riverboat service (from behind the Cutty Sark) is a much quicker option back to the West End than the DLR / Tube and much more pleasant.

Room Tip: The staff were very helpful, so I would not hestitate to ask if you have any specific requirements.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WiganMum

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review it is great to hear you had such a fantastic stay here at Devonport house. I have passed on your comments to the team, in particular Darren our Nights Manager. It really spurs the team on to continue to offer great service to our guests when they see it beign recognised and from my point of view it is very pleasing to see our guests being looked after so well and enjoying their stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Devonport House again soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2013

If you're visiting London you really cannot beat this place as a location. Greenwich is a fantastic place to stay as a tourist. The hotel is on the door of Greenwich Park, the town and the Cutty Sark.

The hotel is pretty average. The bedroom was bright and not air conditioned. The hotel is pretty noisy as it is an old building so be prepared for squeaky floorboards. The training and meeting facilities are very good with staff who are incredibly helpful.

Finally, the food is pretty decent too. The menu is slightly unusual but has plenty of choice and 80% of the items seemed to be OK.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Dan,

Thank you for your recent review, you are quite right in that the location of the hotel is fantastic as a base for the tourist attractions both in central London and Greenwich itself. Your comments regarding the team here and the food are great to hear as it is always motivating for us to see that our efforts have paid off. With regards to the decor and air con there are several projects underway which will have a positive impact on the decor, unfortunately with being part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site and Grade II Listed we are quite limited in terms of what we can do to the facade of the building which does rule out air conditioning units.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to welcome you back to Devonport House again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

We were disappointed with our room at the Devonport. The room was small and the bathroom was really shabby with broken tiles, flakey paint and really worn fixtures. The bedroom carpet had a nasty stain on and curtains had all manner of things on them please see my pictures. All in all not what you expect for £250 a night !!!!
Having said the above, the staff were really helpful, breakfast was nice and the location is excellent.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and my apologies that certain aspects of your stay were nto to the standard you expected. You will be pleased to know that we are currently in the process of re-freshing our bathrooms which includes re-painting walls and ceilings and re-grouting the floor and wall tiles having replaced any cracked ones. Whilst on Marathon weekend our prices are at a premium there is a lot to be said for being situated just a few hundred meters from the startline so that the stresses of traveling to London on such a big day are reduced. It is great to hear you enjoyed out breakfast and found the team here to be so helpful.

Reviewed 19 April 2013

Stayed one Sunday night before a business meeting the next day.

The hotel is very impressive from the outside and in a great location in Greenwich. Just wish I'd had more time to explore.

Check-in was very efficient and I was in my room in minutes. The room was fine and I'm not sure if I was just tired but the bed was awesome!

Decided to eat in the Officer's Mess bar which looked great on the web site. Sadly the radio was absolutely blaring and the lighting was all over the place. Not that hungry so I ordered BLT with some twice cooked chips. Have to say it was all very average. I could have knocked up a BLT better myself and the chips were a bit greasy and nothing special. I Gave up on the bar in the end and went to bed.

Breakfast in the dining room was a bit strange, I was directed to a table that was only half cleared and had to ask twice for tea. The hot breakfast was buffet style so I only went for the scrambled eggs which were as about as exciting as the BLT the night before. The tea arrived and was only luke warm so I gave up and went round the corner for a coffee before work.

Overall, very efficient in terms of getting in and out and the room was just fine. Superb location so don't worry too much about my food experience, there are plenty of options if you find the same.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Andy,

Thank you very much for your review. It is great to hear that you found the bed so comfortable after a long day, we use Sealy mattresses and i quite agree that they do make for an excellent nights sleep! I apologise that your dining experience with us was not up to our usual high standard, i have passed on your comments to my Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to review and implement appropriate changes so that such instances do not reoccur.

Thank you again for your review and i hope to see you back at Devonport House again soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

My wife and I booked Devonport House for our wedding having been disappointed when looking at the service of other wedding venues in the area. What really stood out about the place was the high level of care taken by the staff to ensure it was a special day. There were many ways in which Christine , the wedding planner, and the other staff accommodated specific requests we had and we were really pleased with the way the day went. In our opinion, when it comes to hosting a wedding, this hotel blows its local competitors out of the water.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Will S, Deputy General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for your recent review and I am extremely pleased that the team here were able to play a part in making you and Daisy's big day that extra bit special! It's really great to see the teams efforts being recognised and I will ensure that they see your comments, it is especially good to hear of your views on us compared to other wedding venues in the local area!

I wish you and your new wife many congratulations and a lifetime of happiness together!

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Thank you so very much for our special offer stay at your lovely hotel. The staff were very helpful and pleasant to talk to, the food was delicious and the weather perfect. I guess you can't take credit for the latter, but we certainly enjoyed the location of the hotel so close to all the wonderful places to visit in Greenwich, we will certainly recommend you to our friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Tank you for your recent review of Devonport House, it is great to hear that you had such a delightful stay, whilst we cannot take credit for the weather it does make Greenwich such a lovely place to be when the sun is shining. Thanks also for the recommendations to your friends, I look forward to welcoming them and yourselves back to Devonport House soon!