“Very Average hotel in nice location, but poor customer service”

De Vere Devonport House
Ranked #365 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stayed here with my daughter when we went to a concert in the nearby O2 arena.

The hotel is average, nothing too fancy.

Shortly after arriving home my daughter realised she had left a favourite pair of shoes under her bed, but when I contacted the hotel there was no sign of them!

I am disappointed that it was so hard to get in touch with the hotel house-keeping after my stay, and also disappointed that the shoes could not be found. If they are disposed of this was a terrible ways to treat your guest's belongings.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank blairk2
Will S, Deputy General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks you for your review. As discussed with you there was no record of any shoes being found in your room. We deal with a wide variety of 'lost property' each week and have very robust procedures in place for the reporting and return of guests property. Invariably we return this to our guests at our own cost, often to countries outside of the UK, i would say that this actually shows a very good level of customer service. It is a shame that your daughters shoes were not found but I would like to point out that guest's possesions are in fact ultimately the responsibility of the guest to look after as opposed to the venue itself.

Will

Write a ReviewReviews (1,494)

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from a wonderful stay in the Devonport House.
We could not fault a single thing about our stay.
The hotel is in a great location for all the main Greenwich attractions and is also close to the DLR line or ferry service to central London.
All the staff were lovely and welcoming throughout our whole stay from check in to check out. Our room was spotless with fantastic views! We also both had the best night sleep in a long time in a very comfy bed.
Breakfast was good and had a wide selection to choose from.
Overall a wonder fantastic stay! 10 out of 10 will be recommending to all our family and friends and will be returning again and again!!! :)
Thank you very much Devonport House!

• Stayed: May 2013
Will S, Deputy General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review, it is very pleasing to hear you had such a great stay with us. i have passed your comments on to the relevant deaprtments as feedback such as this is such a great motivator for the team to excel even further.

Thank you again for your review and i hope to see you back at Devonport House again soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2013

I booked this hotel through book hotel.com . In the comments box for any requests I put that it was our wedding anniversary and so a room with a view would be lovely if at all possible. I did not expect it to necessarily happen. However when we arrived we had been given a wonderful room with a view of the gardens through the fantastic Georgian windows of this magnificent old building. To our amazement the hotel had left a plate of fruit and deserts in the room piped in chocolate with the words " Happy Anniversary". So well done to the reservations department. It really made the start to,our weekend very special. The staff were exceptionally friendly and efficient, coming up immediately to fix the TV which I couldn't get to work. My fault because I hadn't checked the leads!! I stay in London quite often and have been patronised in many hotels. It was refreshing to meet staff who were professional and yet managed to keep the personal touch. We had a marvellous time, were given a free late check out so that we could enjoy Greenwich. I cannot fault this hotel and cannot wait to return to room ???? Not saying, as you all might book it! The only very slight adverse comment is that the bathrooms are tired and do need updating. Everything works but it needs attention. Certainly made no difference to a fantastic stay, and I didn't think the bar expensive for London either. 2 glasses of champagne for ten pounds is cheap for the location.

Thank you Devonport House for making our Anniversary so special.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Devonport House, it is great to hear that the team made your anniversary so special! I have passed on your kind comments to the team here and they were thrilled to see their efforts recognised.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

I booked this hotel as a special treat for my husbands 60th birthday and unfortunately it was very disappointing in all aspects apart from the location. The quality and attention to detail in terms of customer service and housekeeping were poor, the room service was inedible and the kitchens regularly ran out of the basics. I did raise these issues and the management were attentive and offered me a discount which I appreciated - but it did not make up for the fact that what had been promised to me in terms of a great room and special attention for the event did not materialise in any way.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AliBongo57
Will S, Deputy General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and again my apologies that certain aspects of your stay were not to your satisfaction. Your comments regarding 'running out of the basics' are disappointing as following our meeting this was not raised and was certainly not the case. I am pleased that my team wee able to rectify the issues you had in a prompt manner.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend for one night in mid April.

The Devonport is a very nice building right in the centre of Greenwich - next to the maritime museum, and across the road from the old Royal Naval College. The building has parking at the rear which is around £5 per night.

Our room was on the third floor at the rear of the building. The room was small but functional. It had a wardrobe, desk, tv, ironing board/trouser press and bedside cabinets. The bathroom was clean.

I had only two problems with the room - the floorboards in the hallways are exceptionally creaky (I know, it's an old building), and the curtains didn't keep the sunlight out in early morning (unfortunately, we stayed on the only sunny day of the year).

We used the hotel bar around 11pm on a Sunday evening - we could only use cash. Four drinks (2 pints and 2 bottled drinks) came to £19.90).

Before heading to our room, we double checked with the reception about our checkout time - the chap on the desk told us it was 9.30am, but another supervisor was walking past us when we asked the question, and she told us it was actually 10.30am (after I checked my receipt, it said 10am...). We checked out at 10.25 - the staff were friendly and helpful. We checked our cases in with them for the day while we wandered around town.

Overall, the hotel is quite nice, but nothing stands out particularly other than the building itself and the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel for (what I presume is) a better view
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Tank you for your recent review and I am pleased you had a nice stay. I have passed your comments regarding the curtains and floorboards on to our maintenance and house keeping teams so they can take immediate action. Whilst our published check out time is 9.30 we do of course recognised that if you are here on leisure as opposed to business this may be a little early so we are completely flexible to our guests needs and the staff will naturally offer an extension straight away, as opposed to many hotel chains who immediately charge for a later than published check out.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

We spent a couple of nights in this hotel and can't praise it enough, It's in a great situation, very close to the museums, to transport links and to the river, besides which it is a beautiful building in itself.

The staff were all helpful and friendly, our room was lovely with a view over the gardens. Our (very slight) niggle that there were no rolls for breakfast (as opposed to sliced bread) was immediately put right and rolls were produced for us without any problem - and with a smile! Everything else on the breakfast bars was very good indeed and very well presented.

Such convenient and cheap parking is wonderful in itself!

Would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to London. Definitely the best we've found there for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a garden view.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review and I am pleased that you had such a great stay, your comments regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of the team are very kind, I will ensure at your feedback is passed on to them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Devonport House again in the not too distant future for another great stay!

Reviewed 16 May 2013

We came here on a coach trip on 12th May for a Jazz lunch. The made consisted of a guitarist and a female singer who was almost falling to sleep and after about 3 songs they sat down to eat a lunch. They were having such impact on us we didn't notice when they stopped or when they stated again. THe lunch was carvery style 3 choices of meat which were being carved by a female who held each joint of meat with bare hands -no gloves or fork. She then tried to put the meat on our plates with bare hands so she had to be told by several of our party how do this right - her response was they had run out of gloves. The food was lukewarm, no hot plates and very limited veg only carrots and green beans.
During our meal the waitress who was serving the man opposite was not watching what she was doing and knocked a glass of red wine on us. Over my top and trousers and his jacket. The jacket was whisked away and brought back saying it was as good as new. It was far from it. We have taken them to the dry cleaners and we will see if the stains come out.
We had an evening meal which was no better. Dried out salmon, dried out gammon, dried out chicken so we had cottage pie only because it was just put out fresh. Nothing wrong with it but nothing special either - we did not expect to go to a DeVere hotel for cottage pie. Puddings ok but still nothing special.
Our room was lacking a bit of maintenance - holes in wardrobe door, water seal hanging off on shower screen and fitting missing of shower rail and to top things off we had to ask to have the bed throw changed as there was some very dubious white stains on it and the chair!!!!!!!! Next to it.
All we was waiting for was someone to turn up and say smile your on candy camera or basil fawlty to turn up then perapse we could have laughed it off. One thing we can aggre on with other customers it is in a great location.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and my apologies that certain aspects of your stay were not to your satisfaction. I have personally inspected the room you stayed in and am a little perplexed as the wardrobe door handle is fully functioning and there are no issues with either the shower screen or attachment. I am also surprised at your comments regarding the quality of food as the comments we had that weekend were very positive, including many from other members of your coach party. My colleague and I are in contact with you regarding the spilt wine which as I am sure you will understand was a complete accident whereby one of the guests turned and knocked the waitress as she approached the table with the glass, however my apologies that this happened at all.