De Vere Devonport House
US$213
US$188
galahotels.com
1,576 results
All reviewsmaritime museumcutty sarkgreenwich parkroyal observatorytravelzoo dealthames clippernaval collegequeens housevisiting greenwichlocal attractionsthere is no air conditioningdocklands light railwayexcellent locationcentral londondlr stationbuffet breakfastlovely hotel
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was our second stay at Devonport House, and we will probably book here again for another Greenwich visit. The location couldn't be better for the National Maritime Museum (right next door), the historic centre of Greenwich and the covered market, as well as the Isle of Dogs (Canary Wharf and West India Quay are a few minutes ride on Docklands Light Railway). There seems to be adequate car-parking space and the hotel charge of £5 per day is very reasonable for London.

We find the staff cheerful and helpful in so many ways. We dislike the duvets that are now almost universal on hotel beds. By arranging it beforehand, the hotel gave us extra sheets, and we brought our own blankets (the hotel cannot supply blankets of their own). The whole hotel is nice and warm and we barely needed even one blanket for a comfortable night's rest. Our room was very clean, including the bathroom - unlike some earlier visitors' experiences. It was also quiet: no sounds from other guests, except for the occasional closing of a room door nearby.

The pre-booked breakfast might seem dear, at £8.50 each, to those who eat a frugal breakfast. However, the wide variety available on an eat-as-much-as-you-like buffet system makes it good value for those who enjoy a generous breakfast. It is impossible to keep fried eggs from becoming rubbery on a hotplate, and the mushrooms were disappointing, but on the two mornings we were there the scrambled eggs and the fried bacon were particularly delicious. Hotel toasters are open to much abuse from the users. I found the two toasters very slow but OK in the end. The breakfast service nominally ends at 9:30 on weekdays, but we noticed that the staff were very tolerant of slightly late arrivals. We cannot comment on the bars or main meals as we did not have them.

The location for historic maritime Greenwich, the convenience, the helpfulness of the staff, and the overall comfort make Devonport House an ideal base for our visits to this part of London.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank taffywhitehair
Tim G, Operations Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review.

Your comments give the team and myself the hope to be on the right track to become the first choice venue in Greenwich.

We are striving to achieve the highest standrds and will be looking to continoously improve.

KInd regards,

Tim Gehrke

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Devonport house was booked back in October when I was struggling to find a ideally located Hotel within easy reach of the 02 arena. De vere was only typed in the search engine as a last resort, and this popped up ideally located just 2 miles from the venue and with the added bonus of parking.
We paid £105 for our very clean double room located up on the third floor, £8.50 each for a excellent buffet breakfast and only £5 for the over night parking.
We chose to catch the bus to the O2 with bus stop just outside the hotel it cost £2.40 each, and only took 15 minutes. Greenwich park is directly behind the hotel offering fantastic views across the city, and the Cutty Sark is just 5 minutes away.
Checking in was a speedy process and our room was ready early which meant we could make more of the afternoon and explore the area, and the hotel bar stays open until 12 midnight so we where able to get a nightcap.
Worth every penny and will be using again for future 02 events.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yeti72

Thank you very much for your kind review.

We are pleased you had a good time and hope to welcome you back soon to Devonport House.
There are still a lot of great events and concerts at the O2, which you have clearly demonstrated an interest in.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, good location, cheap parking, staff very friendly and
Helpful. Easy to get into central London. Rooms are clean and tidy. Booked last minute through late rooms.com. Otherwise can be expensive. ............................

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LilKezza

Thank you very much for your kind review.

As I have only recently joint this hotel, you only now get a respond. Thank you for giving us such a great write-up.

Hopefully we can welcome you soon back again at Devonport House.

KInd regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here on Friday night. Got a great rate through Bookings.com of £69 for a double room on a room only basis.

The hotel is in a good central Greenwich location. The bed was comfy. The staff were very pleasant.

Breakfast was not good at all. It costs £8.50 per person pre booked, or £10.50 per person on the day. The english breakfast options weren't cooked well - rubbery fried eggs, undercooked fried bread, overcooked hash browns, etc etc. I asked for 2 boiled eggs and these came hard boiled (not soft centred like their pictures show). The choice of meats and cheese for continental breakfasts was pitiful - only ham, salami and one type of sliced cheese (all garnished with raspberries????!!!!!!).

To be fair to reception I complained about breakfast and the cost was refunded without quibble.

The bar is nicely decorated. However we went here for a nightcap, and despite having registered our credit card (so we could charge things to the room) we were told that their till wasn't working properly and it was cash only if we wanted drinks. I fail to see why their internal system failures should affect customers - surely they could have made a note of what we had and charged us when the till was working again? What would have happened if we didn't have cash on us - no drinks??

If I had paid a dearer room rate I would have been disappointed overall. However as it was so cheap it has to be scored at least average (bordering 'very good').

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thelittlecarrot

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write your review.

I have only recently joint the hotel,hence there was no reply entered.

We have taken your feedback and have looked at our breakfast offerings. I am pleased to say that the food quality has truely improved. I understand your comment regarding internal systems. You are right, the customer should not be effected. This is something that can happen but should not impact you.

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope we have a chance to show you on your next visit that things have imporved.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I recently stayed at the above hotel, on a business trip to London, staying 1 night.

I arrived at the hotel mid afternoon, and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist, how made check in a simple and easy task. The room for 1 nights stay was £135, with Breakfast £8.50 extra. For London hotels, this was a very reasonable price, given the standard of the hotel, and its location.

The room was very pleasant, but very warm. They stated that Wi Fi was free, which I'm sure it was, but for some reason, I could not get logged in? After settling in, I decided to go to the bar for a drink, only to be told the draught beer was not available, due to the lines being cleaned. I would have expected a hotel of this standard, to have cleaned the lines during the hours when the bar is closed! The bar was very welcoming and have complimentary, fruit, quality coffee, biscuits and confectionary, which was a lovely touch I thought.

I asked to book a Taxi for the morning, which was done with the minimum of fuss, and was waiting at the exact time I required it, in the morning. I hen went to the restaurant for dinner, and happened to be very luck, as there were a large group of resident booked in. The waitresses were really lovely, and very knowledgeable about the Hotels products. They recommended a quality wine for me to have with my meal, and, both the 2 courses I decided on, were very good.

The only slight niggle I would have was the room was very hot during the night, and even though I tried to turn the radiator off, I couldn't? As there was no Air Conditioning in my room, I could not cool the room. This led to a slightly uncomfortable nights sleep.

The business centre was also very well equipped, with free printing and fast internet connection. Here also was the free confectionary and beverages.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have been good
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jonesy2901
Tim G, Operations Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review.

As I have only recently been given access, I could not acknowledge your review any earlier.
Hopefully we will see you back soon.