“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #394 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Great location, good size rooms and pleasant and obliging staff. Great attractions in Greenwich itself and good transport links into Central London. Bedrooms clean and a good size as was the bathroom. Small car parking charge but very reasonable for such a short walk into the hotel lobby. Would very much recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Andrew M
Tim G, Operations Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Andrew M,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

Sadly I could not reply any earlier, as I have only recently joined the venue.

Tim Gehrke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Greek first
Gosport
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed here for one night with my partner. The location was perfect, we took a stroll to the River Thames and had something to eat at one of the restaurants there and with the sunset it was lovely. Our reason for coming to this hotel was just to have a night away and i'm glad I chose this location.

The check in process was quick and the reception lady was very polite. Once getting to the room I was quite disappointed, it was very small and quite bland. The blind in the bathroom didn't close properly so that was annoying whilst trying to take a shower. I thought I was getting a double bed but it was two single beds pushed together which seemed to move as soon as you sat on it. This was very uncomfortable which resulted me to driving back to Portsmouth at 4.30 in the morning to my own bed. Our beds were very close to the door so I heard people going in and out their rooms during the night.

The bar area was very nice, I enjoyed having a drink in there with my partner. You can eat there aswell which I would do next time if I return.

Overall, I enjoyed the hotel location and I would go back but only if I could try a different room, as other reviews seem to have nice rooms :)

Dear Gosport,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

I am sorry to see that you had to drive ack to Portsmouth to get your sleep, as this was a big set-back.
I only joined the hotel recently, so was not able to reply earlier.

I hope you will return and we get the chcnce to ensure you have a good night sleep in our bed this time.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I stopped there using a 3 night room only deal. Easy to get to and has parking for extra £5 per night. The hotel was clean and the staff were helpful and polite. I asked for a room with a view and they gave a me a room with a pleasant view over the lawns towards the Cutty Sark. The curtains were great for blacking out the morning sun and the noise level was low, even though I looked towards a main road. Greenwich is very nice for a short break. I recommend the park, observatory and the nearby pubs and Pie and Mash shop!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rupertatkinson
Dear Rupertatkinson,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I have only recently joined, hence you only get an acknowledgement now.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we can welcome you back soon.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel is inside a fantastic old structure and the location is amazing. There's lots to do and see in the local area. As the building is so lovely from the outside it's a shame that the rooms are pretty bland and characterless- like a motel. The bed was comfortable though and the price was very good and the bathroom was clean. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear LadyCruiseFan,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I have only recently joined, hence you have not had an acknowledgement been posted.
We are looking into the decor design and what we can do on your point raised.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Fine hotel for the price, lovely bed with big pillows and plenty layers.
Room came with nice hot chocolate and selection of teas to drink, a little kettle and Scottish biscuits.
We weren't super pleased with the cleanliness as the carpet was filthy and the tiles and around the taps were dirty. The room itself was very small for so-called 'deluxe' booking.
Lastly there was not a flat-screen tv in the room as advertised when we booked.

In general a mild disappointment but as we really only slept and washed there we weren't too bothered. We'd still recommend it for the price and location, if you were the complaining kind I'm sure you could be given a larger room.

We recommend going for breakfast at the local Greenwich market, cuisines for all over the world available.

Dear misspickle,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

As I only recently have joined the venue, I will be looking into the matters mentioned.
Cleanliness is one of our biggest standards and I am sorry on this occaison our team has let you and us down.

The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Lovely hotel. Right next to the Maritime museum and below the hill walk to the observatory. On the other side a short walk to the Cutty Sark and all the lively places around that. Room spacious and comfortable, breakfast the high quality British Breakfast you can only find in the smaller hotels. Staff very friendly and helpful.
Small disadvantage was that traffic on the main road byond the garden starts quite early and on a warm day with the windows open this can wake you up. So next time I will request a room on the inside which should be quieter. But if you have seen enough of the large chain hotels this is a very welcome change.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dutch1505
Dear Dutch1505,

Thank you very much for your kind review about Devonport House.

As I only recently joined, I could not acknowledged this any earlier.

Cwmbran, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Loved the hotel,loved the history of the place and the character. Beautiful gardens at the front of the hotel,wonderful to relax in. Excellent location,right next to lovely Greenwich Park and near to the historical Cutty Sark. Some very good bars and restaurants nearby. Breakfast here very good and good value,nice restaurant and comfortable lounge bar with a lovely outdoor seating area. Very nice room and bathroom,both spotlessly clean. Very comfortable bed. Friendly and professional staff...especially the very entertaining guy at the restaurant ! Just could not fault the hotel at all and would definitely return.

1 Thank Karen J
Dear Karen ,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I only started recently, so could not acknowledge your comments before.