“Superb position but a noisy night”

De Vere Devonport House
Ranked #382 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed for 2 nights over the May bank holiday weekend.
Weather was great and the position of the hotel being so close the the Cutty Sark and Greenwich Park was superb.
Breakfasts were great and the ability to park on-site (at a cost) is very convenient.
The room was clean and smart, although there was no safe and it was past its best, it was really quite ok.
The problem for us was that there was a noisey wedding party on our second night which meant it was impossible to get to sleep until they wound up - great for them, but grim for us.
The hotel did not tell us about this either at booking or when we checked in, which was disappointing.
The bass from the music system went right through our room, it was terrible and completely unexpected.
The heating system was also noisy, but this was a minor thing really.
If you want a hotel central to Greenwich then this hard to beat, but don't come here if they have wedding on and you want some sleep.

Room Tip: Check to see if they have a private function on, if they have then avoid the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Tim G, Operations Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear maxdba,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I am sad to read that your stay with us was overtaken by the noise from the wedding. Whilst we are aiming to control the bedroom allocation to minimise impact, we got it clearly wrong in your case. I am sorry that that impacted your stay so much.

I do hope you are coming back to Greenwich and would like to have the opportunity to ensure you have a good time here at Devonport House in the near future.

Tim Gehrke

Write a ReviewReviews (1,462)

Reviewed 2 May 2014

One night stay whilst in Greenwich. I think we paid over the odds as it was the tube strike (a friend had a similar room for less than half the price we paid).
Clean room. A bit too warm to sleep. Comfortable beds. Convenient for everything. Nice breakfast. Had a good time.
Will return but check prices a lot more carefully.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cricketdad

Dear Cricketdad,

Thank you very much for your review.

My apologies for not been acknowledged any earlier, but I have only recently started working here at Devonport House.

Hopefully we are able to welcome you back in the near future again.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed here for two night in the middle of a De Vere get away for the wifes birthday - (having previously stayed at Belton Woods and afterwards at the Belfry - both excellent). We wanted to go to London, but this time by car, not train, and enjoy something a bit different. We broke our journey half way down country, carrying on the next day to Greenwich, picking our route to the East of London, via Chigwell and through the Blackwall Tunnel to avoid too much traffic and the congestion charge. No bother at all. Day one we explored Greenwich - what a lovely place, taking in the local attractions. The hotel was ideally placed for us to have a good look around on foot. Day two we trotted down to the riverside and bought a cruise ship rover ticket for the day, taking the boat down to Westminster, and spending the day in the capital. The boat stopped at the Tower of London, and those who wished got off, the beauty of the ticket being you could hop on and off when you wanted. It took half an hour to the Tower, then another half hour to Westminster, but it was great. The boat has food and drink on board, and toilets, you can wander about, and go up onto the open viewing top deck if you wish - so its novel, and a change from just staying in London. The hotel staff, as always, were great, The room was just spot -on really, a seperate desk area from the bed area and a nice bathroom. We had booked it under a De Vere offer and got the two nights for £138, which for a 'London' trip is absolutely amazing. It was room only - but for that price you couldnt go wrong and breakfast was only £8.50 if booked the day before in the hotel. We left by the same route - avoiding central London and headed up to The Belfry for our last night - it was a great trip and I would really recommend this to others.

2  Thank DurhamColin

Dear DurhamColin,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am very pleased you hada great time here and managed to explore so many different things.

As I only recently have started here, I am sorry for not have had an acknowledgement before.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great location is about the best thing I can say about my stay at this hotel last weekend. The room was clean and comfortable but overall the hotel is bland and impersonal. Unfortunately, for us there was a wedding on the night we stayed which meant that there was a lot of people milling around and we were unable to get into the bar for a drink early evening. When we returned later, we did go in the bar but it was full of loud drunk people. We were going to eat in the hotel but it wasn't clear if the restaurant was open as the wedding party seemed to be going on in there. There are lots of nearby restaurants so it was no problem to go out to eat. There was also room service available. We didn't sleep well at all because of noise along the corridors, this went on until 4.30am. Breakfast was good, freshly made waffles and full fried breakfast. Just a few points to bear in mind, there's no mini bar in the room or safe plus the parking is an extra £5 per day.
Staff were friendly and efficient and sympathetic about the noise and offered to take off the cost of our breakfast as a good will jesture which was appreciated, however if we had known there was a wedding on we would have stayed elsewhere. It just didn't turn out to be the relaxing night away from home that we had expected.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tim G, OPerations Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear bevmo1,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am sad to hear that you were kept up for most of the night. Having a wedding in the venue we can manage the function but sadly drunken guests in the bedrooms are difficult to control. I am sorry for this shortfall, but I am pleaseed to read you have been given complimentary breakfast as sign of good will.
If we do have a wedding in the restaurant, we always have a 2nd restaurant available for any dinner guests, which our reception team informs of on check-in to ensure a smooth dining is guarantied.

Once again thank you for your comments and we will look into ways to improve our shortcoming for the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Great location, good size rooms and pleasant and obliging staff. Great attractions in Greenwich itself and good transport links into Central London. Bedrooms clean and a good size as was the bathroom. Small car parking charge but very reasonable for such a short walk into the hotel lobby. Would very much recommend this hotel

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Andrew M

Dear Andrew M,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

Sadly I could not reply any earlier, as I have only recently joined the venue.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed here for one night with my partner. The location was perfect, we took a stroll to the River Thames and had something to eat at one of the restaurants there and with the sunset it was lovely. Our reason for coming to this hotel was just to have a night away and i'm glad I chose this location.

The check in process was quick and the reception lady was very polite. Once getting to the room I was quite disappointed, it was very small and quite bland. The blind in the bathroom didn't close properly so that was annoying whilst trying to take a shower. I thought I was getting a double bed but it was two single beds pushed together which seemed to move as soon as you sat on it. This was very uncomfortable which resulted me to driving back to Portsmouth at 4.30 in the morning to my own bed. Our beds were very close to the door so I heard people going in and out their rooms during the night.

The bar area was very nice, I enjoyed having a drink in there with my partner. You can eat there aswell which I would do next time if I return.

Overall, I enjoyed the hotel location and I would go back but only if I could try a different room, as other reviews seem to have nice rooms :)

Dear Gosport,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

I am sorry to see that you had to drive ack to Portsmouth to get your sleep, as this was a big set-back.
I only joined the hotel recently, so was not able to reply earlier.

I hope you will return and we get the chcnce to ensure you have a good night sleep in our bed this time.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stopped there using a 3 night room only deal. Easy to get to and has parking for extra £5 per night. The hotel was clean and the staff were helpful and polite. I asked for a room with a view and they gave a me a room with a pleasant view over the lawns towards the Cutty Sark. The curtains were great for blacking out the morning sun and the noise level was low, even though I looked towards a main road. Greenwich is very nice for a short break. I recommend the park, observatory and the nearby pubs and Pie and Mash shop!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rupertatkinson

Dear Rupertatkinson,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I have only recently joined, hence you only get an acknowledgement now.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we can welcome you back soon.