“Great location and value for money”
Review of Abercorn House

Abercorn House
Ranked #459 of 923 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We stayed five nights from 1 to 7 January. It's a quiet location, near buses, tube station and shopping area. It's close enough to West End with various lines running and relatively cheap for double room. It also has facilities - kitchen equipped with various gadgets, and fridges in the room, which makes it possible to cook your own food and don't have to spend a fortune on eating out. The cafe next to the reception is well stocked, TV room and internet access very handy and cheap. Very clean, especially bed linen and towels, which is one of the most important points for me, and warm and cosy. Friendly staff is another asset, so I'd definitely recommend it and would stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 January 2013

We stayed for 4 nights just before Christmas. We wanted something basic and nearby the main attractions of London. We were pleasantly surprised with Abercorn! The location was perfect: close enough to downtown to not spend long on the tube, but far enough away that we weren't spending an arm and a leg on the hostel.
We were really pleased with the cleanliness and warmth of the room, though it was a bit loud on the ground floor. The hostel allowed us to check in at 9 am, which was awesome as we'd just come off a red eye flight. The hostel is 2 minutes from the tub station and 3 minutes to a wide variety of shops, cafes and pubs. I was especially pleased with the amazingly hot, powerful shower in our ensuite.
I will definitely stay with Abercorn next time I am in London, and I will most definitely recommend it to friends!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Stayed here for 1 night in November 2012 with boyfreind. We had a double room with private bathroom, on first floor. Building has obviously just been redecorated, room was very clean, warm & quiet. freindly staff. near to Hammersmith Appollo & tube station, would definatley stay here again, a bargain!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whitbyabi
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This is the second time I've stayed. I'm just updating to say that the refurbishment, that was causing some building work, has now finished (sep 2012). I asked for a quiet room and was given an immaculate double but not charged extra. Apart from that, it was as good as the first time I stayed, and I definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: If you ask for a quiet room they put you away from the stairwell, which can be a bit nicer.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank lifemagic
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Stayed here for one night, watching a band in London and four adults needed a place to stay. We booked a 4 person room, which had 4 bunk beds, wardrobe, Fridge, tea and coffee facilities. Also in the room was cutlery, plates, bowls and cups - which I thought was a great idea if we where going to use the kitchen or staying longer than 1 night.
The room was clean and warm. Reception staff very friendly.
We arrived home late (00.30) and where able to buy snacks from the foyer food counter (very good prices here, 50p for crisps/chocolate, £1.00 for a samosa)
The next morning we used the communal showers - basic room with individual showers in cubicles (like a swimming pool changing room or similar)
Parking on the street outside is free after 6.30pm (free on Sundays) and a meter has to be used outside these hours - quite expensive.
Hammersmith Tube is right at the end of the street - 2 mins walk - as is a shopping centre.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Nice, clean, not-to-old double bed room. Cool modern bathroom. Location doesn't look good on a map, but Hammersmith's high street is just around the corner, there are four different tube lines at Hammersmith station. 20 mins to Picadilly Circus, more than half an hour to the City and East End.
The only downside was the presence of cockroaches of some sorts. They were hiding under bed, closet and in nooks and cranies around the room, bathroom and hallway. In four days I killed five, and spotted some five more. So it's not like you are in a danger to be eaten alive.
It's still one of the best hostels I've ever slept in London.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2012

So I'll begin with the pluses of this hostel, proceed with the minuses, and close it out with my overall opinion, which will hopefully be useful to anyone reading this.

PLUSES:

- Nice neighborhood and in very close proximity to trains and buses (2 minute walk)

- Building is nice, has marble flooring throughout and has plenty of nice bathrooms, showers, and cooking kitchens

- Rooms are mostly private, and affordable! (£17.50 per person) Great deal for people who prefer this but are on a budget

- Towels, soap, and shampoo are provided. This is rare in my experience.

- MINI FRIDGE in each room. Sweet Lord! A place to chill my beverages before a long night out!

MINUSES:

- There was construction that began at 8:30 am. OUCH. It is very loud, even with earplugs. Knocking, hammering, drilling...and not in the Barry White kinda way.

- The faint smell of pesticides upon entry aroused my suspicion of vermin lurking within..and there were 3 German cockroaches in my room

- Wifi was not free an md difficult to access. Frown face.

So overall, if you're the sort of traveller who is up before 9 am, doesn't mind a few bugs, and has a computer or phone with their own data plan to access wifi fit free, this is your place. For the light/late sleepers steer clear, and germaphobes should find other digs as well.

• Stayed: October 2012