“Cheap, clean and convenient”
Review of Abercorn House

Abercorn House
Ranked #447 of 823 Speciality Lodging in London
Brisbane, Australia
“Cheap, clean and convenient”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed on the second level. Booked a double room, was pretty good for a hostel room, small bar fridge, wardrobe, cups, plates and cutlery. The bar fridge was great because we could actually buy milk and cold meats! Such a relief.
The staff were also really helpful, the printer was out of order so they just printed stuff off for free.
Also really close to the tube which is great.
Towels are changed every two day, which is nice.

The cons.
The kitchen doors on all levels have no dampener so they slam shut and echo through all the hallways! Which is a bit annoying when its 10pm, and you have to be up at 4:30am for a flight.
The walls are also super thin.
And you have to pay for WiFi, which is a bit of a bummer.
The shower layout just plain sucks! There is no ledge or anything to put your clothes on, or your toiletries, and the water pressure is rubbish too. Im sure it is better on level one, but it gets worse with each level you go up. Plus you have to press a button and you get about 15-20seconds of water, then you have to press it again, which is annoying when it winter.

It didn't really bother me too much, but what ever they use to clean has a really pungent chemical smell, and they start cleaning quiet early.

Overall, I would stay here again, maybe I would request a room on level one, or with an ensuite.

Room Tip: A room on level one would be best, firstly no stairs, plus the shower pressure is probably better on...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Christchurch
Reviewed 11 March 2014

After reading other reviews, I booked a twin, ensuite room for 2 weeks and was allocated room 101. Great location to Hammersmith Tube and lots of buses. Quiet (for London/big city), it was safe and clean (with towels changed every second day and room basically cleaned). The room was always warm (i think with underfloor heating in the ensuite) so all in all, excellent value all around.

Staying in a twin room with ensuite, it seemed more like a budget hotel than a hostel. Beds were comfy, the room was spacious with a small double wardrobe, hangers, bedside cabinet and one reading lamp.

As other reviewers have commented, even though there are two ovens, microwave, jug and wash up sink, the kitchen utensils, pots and pans are totally lacking so other than heating up microwave meals, I don't see how a person could actually cook anything. The kitchen was also unexpectedly closed for the last three days ("out of order"). Not sure what that was about but it meant we couldn't even make a cup of tea. Fridge in our room was great size for storing the basics for breakfast.

The cleaning products they use seem pretty toxic as the smell is super strong. If you get migraines triggered by smell, I would avoid this place. It was so strong that one day they were cleaning the hallway and the smell came in and under the door and woke me up! We would leave our windows open when we went out all day so that if they cleaned our room, almost all the smell had gone by the time we got back to the hostel in the evenings. Unfortunately, I had 3 migraine headaches while I was there, which was unusual for me so they may have been triggered by the smell (but could also have been the jet lag, different food etc). As my daughter pointed out though, at least you know the germs can't survive either!

Would highly recommend to anyone looking for budget accommodation who is not overly sensitive to strong smells.

Room Tip: Room 101 was an ensuite twin that was very quiet and quite large - it is away from the road, not tha...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I've stayed here twice and both times found it good for the price. It is budget accommodation and doesn't have any particularly amazing features to it but it is spotlessly clean, the showers are good and it is very cheap. You get a fridge in your room which is excellent and it's cheap enough that if three of you are staying you can buy four beds to turn it into a private room. there are lots of kitchens although we never tried to cook in one of them so not sure how good they were. You are also practically on top of Hammersmith tube station (where there is an excellent and pretty cheap pizza place) and the Hammersmith Apollo, also only a short walk from Riverside studios. On the negative side both times we stayed it was far too hot and you're 3 mins walk from the bus station in Hammersmith so keeping the windows open gets a bit noisy also none of the staff seem to speak particularly good English so don't expect easy resolution if you do have any issues. I wouldn't want to stay here on my own as it is a big hostel with no personal touches of any kind and it might feel a little unsafe, it's not the sort of hostel where you're going to be able to hang out and make friends. However both times we stayed in a group of 3 girls and it was fine. they also only do mixed dorms so if you are a girl travelling alone a single room is probably a better option. Despite the negatives it is pretty good for budget accommodation and I'm sure I'll be staying again.

Room Tip: try to avoid being near the stairs and bathrooms as it's much noisier there
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma C
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

My partner booked us here for a weekend visit to the capital on Sat 22/2/14 and was slightly worried after only paying £40 for a double room. Too cheap for London she thought. However she was soon relieved on arrival! Very pleasant staff on reception as well as very quick check in. No waiting around after a long journey down. Very clean hallway leading to our room in 119. We were even more relieved when entering the double room to see how pleasant it was. Very clean and a lovely brightness about the place. I was suprised to find a fridge which was very useful for our wine! I also appreciated towels being in the room. I've never experienced this at other hostels I've stayed in across the continent. Plenty of plug sockets for phone charging, hair dryers and straighteners.

The Mens shower and toilet facilities were also very clean. Very modern and well kept. My partner felt the same about the womens too.

Very close to Hammersmith tube station and very easy to get to the centre of London. At the same time, I couldn't hear any traffic when in the room.

We came back very late and were welcomed back by the staff once more. Woke up at 5 and was able to head down for a drink, again aided by a kind member of staff.

All in all, my partner and I felt very comfortable here and would definitely stay again. Massive thank you to the staff!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DPMolloy
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Once arriving at the hostel we were welcomed with the news they were upgrading our double room with a shared bathroom to an en suite with no extra charge! Although the outside of the building does look a little worse for wear once inside it's really well furnished and clean with a friendly atmosphere. The reception staff were always happy to help and even offered us some free tea bags! It's just a stones throw away from Hammersmith tube station which is a quick link to anywhere you need to be in London. Only spending one night around a busy schedule we didn't have time to really check out the other facilities offered however popping my head around the television room, it looked extremely modern with comfy sofa's and a wide screen television. The room itself was quite basic but thats what you expect when paying £20 in London for a night's stay, it offered a fridge, dishes, cups, wardrobe, a modern en suite and most importantly a comfy bed! We also hired a hairdryer during our stay form reception which was a £5 deposit which you received received back once it was returned, this meant we could pack even lighter which is what we needed.

All in all it was well worth the money and I would happily stay there again and recommend it for anyone after a cheap, clean and friendly stay in London.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends