“Clean, quiet and cheap!”
Review of Abercorn House

Abercorn House
Ranked #450 of 838 Speciality Lodging in London
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Clean, quiet and cheap!”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My mother and I stayed here in February for a week and have to say, overall we thought it was great. Location is excellent, just a few steps from the Hammersmith Station junction with restaurants and cafes etc, but down a quiet side street that made sleeping a breeze at night. Staff were relatively friendly, helpful and smiley and there is always someone on reception 24 hours a day.

Our room was quite a large twin room (apparently one of the best in the place according to reception), relatively spacious by London standards, had a wardrobe, fridge and also were provided 2 bowls, 2 mugs and cutlery. We were able to eat breakfast in our room every morning which was very pleasant. Rooms are VERY stark and boring, but we only really were there to sleep so it didn't matter for the price we were paying.

Only a few minor complaints:
- Kitchen was being renovated the entire time we were there so there was no hot water, or place to cook. We did tend to eat out a lot so the only thing we really missed was access to a kettle as we couldn't even make a cup of tea. Bit of a disaster in the tea-drinking capital of the world.

- The sanitiser they use for the floors is overwhelmingly powerful. BE PREPARED. The whole place reeks of it. But really, there could be much worse things for a hostel to reek of. At least you know its clean.

-The shower was probably the biggest disappointment of the stay - water was hot/warm but was always a very weak dribble...quite hard to wash your hair if it is as long as mine.

Overall simple and clean and great value for money. Planning another trip that means we are stopping through London again next month, my husband and I will stay here again. :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank OllyMox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Newcastle
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I'm in two minds about this place.
It does have nice new clean bathrooms...although it was a shared sex bathrooms on my floor which I felt a bit uncomfortable about.
The kitchens were new modern and plentiful BUT there's NO cooking equipment. I had to buy a saucepan from reception which irritated me.
There's a lot of older men staying here..including in my room. They were nice people but it just wasn't the young, fun hostel vibe I was after.
This place is decent just not exactly what I was after.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Graz, Austria
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I had a good experience at this hostel. It is conveniently located to the Hammersmith bus / tube station, and has an N9 bus stop directly to Heathrow nearby (convenient since there was a tube strike on my last day there). I had shelving for clothes and a fridge in my room. Friendly staff, clean, relatively quiet! Lots of available information...what else could one need!

Room Tip: The room was generally very clean and quiet. I would only have appreciated the trash being emptied...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

1 Thank Sara C
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Hostel is clean and near to great stores, restaurants and the bus station and underground Hammersmith, just 2 minutes walking. Bathrooms are very clean we have a lot of options in every floor. The walls are thin, so if nosy bothers you, rethink your choice. We order a double room and they gave us a twin. We were tired to make the change. The first days everything was ok, but by the 4th day we found a bed bug. I don't have to say that we couldn't sleep well anymore thinking about the bugs. We told the staff what happened and he seems to blame us, telling that the bug could be our fault. He advised us to wash all of our clothes and then go to another room, what didn't happened. We prefer to stay there and we found other bugs, 5 to be precisely. I won't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is an excellent option on a budget. The hostel is basic but clean. The staff is friendly and it is located about 2 minutes from a tube stop, telco and plenty of other restaurants and bars. Excellent!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I booked a night online in october,not too cheap but good considering London prices and location (was a sort of discount for last rooms available). I arrived there,at first glance i thought it was a 3-4floors building,the hall was ok, with a sort of bar where you could buy drinks,sandwiches,fruit and some food. The men at reception were cold, I didn't mind..but I was with 2 heavy suitcases, without lift or any help from stuff it was very hard to climb 3 floors. Room was ok, there were even glasses,plates,fridge.. on the floor I found 2 kitchens, unluckily they were empty a part from a microwave not usable as someone stole the revolving plate in it. I tried a bathroom (with 2 sinks and a few toilets) and toilets were disgusting. a part from toilet itself, if you opened a window, there was pigeon excrement everywhere. Second time I noticed there was another bathroom for ladies only,that one was a bit better. Every floor had a long corridor like an hospital with many many rooms and a noisy and heavy swing door at the entrance (of corridor). I had to stay there other 2 nights but I was charged full price, more expensive than the price I paid 1st night and also more expensive than price online. And they gave me another room at 5th or 6th floor I don't even remember,but building from outside didn't seem so big (again same problem with suitcases-no help). I opend the door and the room was already occupied... there were 2suitcases, if i was a theft i could have stolen other people' stuff.....not safe!! I had to go downstairs and they gave me another key for another room.. This room was disgusting :( dusty and unfurnished! There was only a bed, pillow was missing. i had to go back to reception and they sent someone to bring me a pillow after 30 minutes, it was last room available they said.. i had to stay there just because it was impossibile for me to go anywhere else with those 2 heavy suitcases. Showers were in common, nowhere to put towel,clothes and beauty case with soaps and make up, so you had to leave your stuff unattended near a sink while in the shower.. i put the towel on the door, water stayed on for 8seconds then you had to press the button again,couldn't set temperature and water was like a boiling waterfall.. my hair got wet too and didn't have an hairdryer, I rolled up in the towel like a mummy and escaped from that bathroom with hands full of clothes,beautycase and key. So was very uncomfortable walking through the corridor soaked, with hands occupied i had to open the corridor door with a shoulder,then put things on the floor and opening the door. Never again. i didn't even feel safe with all those men walking in the corridor looking at me. I bought a wireless internet ticket and it was not working in the room so i had to go in the nice living room,where i spent all my time looking for another place where to go. So if you're lucky you get a nice room,if you take a shower at lunchtime after they clean is fine, if you stay at ground-1st-2nd floor is fine,if you don't have valuables with you is fine.. but for more than 60£ I wouldn't stay again in a place at 6th floor without a lift with heavy suitcases, people entering in your room while you're not there (it happened to me too,maybe they were cleaners!?).. if I ever will go again I'll only book if there is an offer and won't bring valuables with me. P.S.=external door,with direct access to fire escape stairs always open.....NOT SAFE. 3 on 5 just because it was in a nice area and close to tube

Room Tip: Call before going there and ask for a decent furnished room!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple