“the toilets was not clean”

St Christopher's Inn Shepherds Bush
Ranked #450 of 837 Speciality Lodging in London
Taipei
“the toilets was not clean”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The location is very good- just across the Shepherd Bush station. I stayed here 7 night with my friends in a four-bed room. The first day when we check in, we could not find the desk untill some customers told us that the check-in "front" was also the bar. We spent nearly 30 Mins on check-in because the staff had something wrong with the computer. Btw, they would not give you receipt unless you asked for it. I had very poor sleeping in the 7 nights: the voice from the bar would not stop until 12 o'clock and the noise of ambulance and cars could be hear All night. One night there was some one fighting outside the bar!! The toilets was not clean; we found lots of blood on the floor in one of the toilets for 2 days and it was very scarring. And the rubbish baskets were always full.

很可怕的住宿經驗,千萬不要來!我們一行四人住這裡的四人房,一共住了7天,應該可以提供不少的資訊。旅館位置很好,就在地鐵站對面,但這是唯一的優點。第一天check in時,他沒有專屬給hostel的櫃台,而且所有工作人員都身兼bar工作:當時是FIFA轉播,加上電腦有點故障,我們一行人在擁擠的bar裡等了快30分鐘,差點趕不上西敏寺的參觀。而且他們一開始沒給我們收據,後來要了才印出來。工作人員給我們的資訊也不同,兩個人跟我們說了兩個不同的早餐供應時間,有7:00~9:00,有7:30~9:30,變成我們有兩個早上沒吃到早餐。但這還不是最糟的。如果你是淺眠者絕對會睡不著:樓下的酒吧音樂聲和人聲會持續到12點,加上那陣子都是FIFA轉播人更多更吵,過了12點窗外的救護車和車子呼嘯的聲音很大,我七個晚上都需要戴耳塞,還是聽得到噪音。二樓的廁所很髒,垃圾桶常常是滿的,其中一間的地板,連續兩天都看到大量的血跡很是可怕。第六個晚上,酒吧外面有人在打架...只要過8點回來,門口都繪有兩個警察,可見這裡的治安狀況。最後可以離開這裡時真的是太高興了!!打了這麼多(還特意打了中英文兩版)就是希望可以提供多一點人資訊,正在考慮這家hostel或者正在看我的評語的你,請多想兩分鐘,倫敦有更多好的hostel,不要再重蹈我們的慘劇了!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 雅綺 鄭
STCHostels, Guest Relations Manager at St Christopher's Inn Shepherds Bush, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
That sounds quite surprising about the bathrooms. The cleaners are there 7 days a week and the hostel staff check the bathrooms as well so it is strange that this was missed by everyone. As for the noise and the ambulance cars driving past, well its very annoying but it is what happens in central London. It's a city that never stops and neither do the sirens. The noise from the bar goes till 11pm on weeknight and 12pm on weekends. We understand this could be a problem but most people book with us because of the bar-hostel combination. Makes it a fun environment and easy to meet other travellers. Hope you enjoyed your time here in London.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have stayed in this hostel twice and would stay here again! The staff are very polite and helpful, the discounts you get at the Bar downstairs is very much appreciated and the rooms are always very clean. The 'chill out' room downstairs is a great place to meet people and just relax in the afternoon... only complaint is that it gets very hot down there in the summer.
I have stayed in a four, six and eight person dorm room and have found all of them to be very safe and clean. I never worry about leaving my stuff unattended, it always felt very safe. However there were cages under the bed where you could keep your suitcase with a lock.
The hostel has laundry facilities which I found very useful.
I shall give a shout out to Gus who helped me with my suitcase when I was leaving for the airport and was always willing for a chat when I got back from work!

Loved this hostel and will recommend to anybody!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Such lovely things you have to say. Glad its always been so enjoyable for you. Gus is a star. He's always great to chat to and he is very helpful and informative. The rooms really are great value for money and we believe they are kept at a great standard and the good thing is they are constantly being improved. We love the place too which is why none of us ever leave.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

good for budget accommodation .I stayed there just for a single night . They provide lockable cupboard so it's better to have one lock with you. It's opposite to train station so easy to locate. Could be cleaner particularly toilets.I forgot my charger there and collected next day .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
STCHostels, Guest Relations Manager at St Christopher's Inn Shepherds Bush, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Glad you managed to get your charger back and you enjoyed your stay. The hostel is full of great people and it is very safe and secure. We are working on getting a better cleaning schedule. I do apologise that everything wasn't up to standards.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed in a four-bed female dorm and it was clean and comfortable with a sink and power outlets in the room. Showers were on the floor above and were pretty decent. Common room was a nice place to hang out. The best part of the hostel was Belushi's bar. The food was cheap and really nice and there were always awesome drinks deals. It was also a great location, right across the road from Shepherd's Bush tube station on the central line. The staff were really friendly and helpful. Only downside was the shared unisex toilets. They weren't kept particularly clean and the bins in the cubicles were overflowing and weren't emptied once the five nights I was there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nicola S
STCHostels, Guest Relations Manager at St Christopher's Inn Shepherds Bush, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Sounds like you really enjoyed your stay. Glad you made the most of having the bar attached to the hostel. We think its a great idea. As for the bathrooms, there is a single shower directly outside the female only dorm that can be used purely by the female guests. I apologise that you weren't aware of this. If anything does make you uncomfortable always come see reception it might be a really easy solution.
Anna
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My 3 friends and I got the 4 private mixed dorm, and we were quite disappointed that it did not come with our own toilet (but thankfully there was a sink in the room). We had to share the toilets with everyone on the floor (which is actually not such a big deal, we could live with it), but the only single shower on the entire floor was not working, and we all had to go to use the showers on the third floor, having to squeeze with practically the entire block of people. Thankfully people seem to shower at different times, so we could always find space. The showers are pretty decent, i like it that the curtain serves as a divider between your clothes and the shower space.

The only problem was that it gets pretty noisy at night, especially from Thursdays to the weekends, because downstairs is the pub (i'm guessing it's owned by St Christopher's as well), and the public are also welcomed to use, so they dont really care about noise and just scream and sing as loud as they want (avoid Thursdays, it's karaoke night). Because of that, we did not bother going down to the basement to chill out because it was simply too noisy. The hammock is also spoilt.

All in all it is a decent place to just have a nice bed to sleep on, but not very good for chilling out with friends. There was only one single chair in the room for 4 of us, and the height between the 2 double decker beds is so short that even me, a petite girl, has trouble sitting up straight. My guy friends resorted to sitting on the floor instead.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ysabel20
Thankyou for your feedback. We do appreciate different points of view. We understand that the rooms don't have a lot of room to sit around and chat but it's simply because we think everyone should meet guests from other rooms, which is why we have the chill out room and the bar. Both with ample chilling space.
Booking a private room ensures your group is not split up. I understand this can be confusing but only the two private double rooms are advertised as having a private bathroom.
Hope that helps explain a few things.
And we do apologise for the noise. The bar does close at midnight on those nights so we hope that that gives everyone some rest time and earplugs are available at reception.
Gloucestershire, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

When my friends and I arrived, things were immediately off to a bad start as the staff said I needed to prove that I'd already paid online. They wanted a printout of the Paypal email, which I wasn't aware of. What sort of hostel can't even tell whether people have paid or not?

I offered to pay in cash on condition that I could get a refund later. Bad move... I've spent a month emailing them and they still haven't paid me back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TopatoPotato
I'm really sorry our customer service team haven't been in touch. You could try calling them. They're generally very good at getting back to customers very keen to ensure customers are happy.
Anna

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Rocked up in London on the Tuesday, had 2 nights booked. Decided i wanted an extra night and the guy (who i might add was hating life and seemed like i was an inconvenience just by turning up) booked me in for a 3rd night. No worries, just had to check out and in on the Thursday.

Check out on the Thursday to go site seeing around town, get back at 4pm. No reservation for me. Within the space of 48 hours i had a confirmed room to not being on the records, how does that happen? 30 minutes later they book me into one of their other hostels, 45 minutes across town for a 5 pound refund. Wow. Talk about amazing customer service, or lack of.

Firstly, the arrival...i had just come off a 30 hour flight and if your too unhappy to even mumble basic words to me, why the hell are you on reception? Not good enough. Secondly, after watching them book an extra night ONLY for them to lose it, is just a shambles. Absolute shambles. Very unprofessional, unwelcoming and unaccommodating for basic travels who at the end of the day want a stress free, easy relaxed type of stay. This was definitely not it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank David G
Thank you for your feedback. I'd like to offer you the biggest apology. Being greeted by someone unpleasant is definitely not ideal. All our reception staff have now completed customer service training so no one should have to experience that again. We are normally a really happy bunch and always happy to help so I'm sorry you've caught someone on a really bad day by the sounds of it.