“The BEST location, staff, breakfast, room - don't miss it!”
Review of Arran House Hotel

Arran House Hotel
Ranked #359 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Our family of 4 stayed in a very comfortable quad room June 23 & 24. Our luggage didn't arrive until 36 hours after we did & the managers, Rakesh & Abdul, were EXTREMELY helpful in our dealings with DELTA, letting us use their phones, Internet service, etc. Rakesh even gave us his personal phone card when we were out sightseeing. The breakfast had a HUGE variety of hot & cold foods & was tasty. Yes, the en suite shower was tiny, but we actualy used the large shared bathrooms & showers, which were delightful. ( & never had a wait) I highly recommend the Arran House & would stay there again. Thank you, Rakesh & Abdul, I hope you see this!

1  Thank shuwei1
There are newer reviews for Arran House Hotel

Reviewed 7 July 2011

After having read recent reviews of this hotel, we were somewhat apprehensive about our stay. However, our room was very comfortable, and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The bathroom, as is the case in these converted townhouses, was very small, but functional. There were ample choices of food for a typical full English breakfast. Be aware that there is no lift, and also that Gower Street is busy, so there is traffic noise. For London, the price was reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I found myself in the Arran House when a single without bath was one of the few rooms in London available at any sort of reasonable price during Wimbledon fortnight. The room was at the back of the building and quiet, and the bed comfortable enough. Breakfast was not very exciting, but perfectly edible. Wi-fi didn't work on my smart phone.

The location is good, I needed a place near the University of London, one block away. The British Museum is nearby and the very useful no 24 bus runs from across the street to prime tourist locations at Trafalgar Square (National Gallery) and Parliament Square.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2011

The Arran House Hotel is a small hotel in a great location (Bloomsbury area), and offers excellent value for a reasonable price. Our room was on the main floor at the back of the house (garden view) so was very quiet. As usual in London, the room was quite small but big enough for our needs -- besides, when you are in London you aren't going to spend much time in your hotel room! Bed was comfortable, breakfast was good, and the ensuite bathroom was fine (but tiny). Desk staff was friendly and helpful.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scubalover0
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We stayed at the Arran last year when in London and were so impressed that we decided to book again for this year. Big mistake! It seems to have changed for the worse and as another reviewer states the breakfast has changed and the good bits seem to be missing. Part of what we liked about it last year was the ability to use the kitchen as eating out daily for a family of 4 can be expensive so we would cook up meals in the kitchen and store food in the specially marked guest fridge. Now it is a no-go area and for staff only it seems which really dissapointed us.
The staff were friendly enough, if a bit sullen at times and it feels like the whole atmosphere of the hotel has changed. I don't know what brought on these sudden changes but it's had it's effect. As for the wifi - no commment. Was not working properly half the time despite assurances it was being fixed.
We had a wonderful room, clean beds and linen but the bathroom is like on an aeroplane - tiny and cramped and it's not like any of us are "large". Other London hotels have managed to install larger bathrooms so not sure why they opted for these tiny add-ons.
Sadly we will not be going back as this last visit was not pleasant nor what we expected compared to our last visit.

3  Thank Starlight007
Reviewed 15 June 2011

This was the third time I stayed in this hotel. It was great the first 2 times. However, this was after 14 years since my last visit. The place looks old and dusty. A little rundown. I booked ensuite however, its not worth it. As I found the toilet outside my room is cleaner and much bigger. The toilet in my room span from my 8 yr old daughter's right fingertips to the left one. This space contains the toilet seat, shower and sink. It feels worse than the airplane toilet.the walls and carpet looks old. Breakfast was ok though the room can be a little cramp. The ventilation in the kitchen must be really bad cos I stayed on the top floor and every morning I smell breakfast in my room as early as 6+. There's a garden but you need to get past the receptionist to go in.

Room Tip: Book early.
2  Thank MummyGoh
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I've been a regular guest of the Arran for two years now (1 visit every 2 months approx.) and I completely agree with some of the latest reviews. I've found all the changes extremely disappointing.

Especially the BREAKFAST. The hot mini-croissants and bread rolls have disappeared (they were SO SUCCESSFUL!), as well as the jars of "real" jelly (which have been replaced for those individual portions of so-called jelly). The mushrooms have disappeared two, and the home-made yogurt. I even miss the big Nutella jar (individual portions are never the right size, and their individual packages are just useless and polluting!) and the coffee machine in the breakfast room. This breakfast has gone from original and convivial to just as boring as any other.
You aren't welcome any more to use the FRIDGE and the KITCHEN between certain hours. When I said that I was a former guest and that I used to use the fridge, I was told that I was allowed to, but it's not written anymore in the welcome leaflet and the "guest fridge" sign has been removed from it. I'm pretty sure that was only because they saw how upset I was for the wi-fi not working.
And finally the WI-FI connection. It's wasn't working when I arrived on Monday, they tell me that it will be solved in 3 days (I'm leaving on Friday, so not very useful for me anyway...) Now I feel I've been fooled because I see in other reviews that the internet hasn't been working properly since at least the 12th of May... Anyway, in the meantime their "solution" is to use the neighbor Cavendish Hotel connection. The problem is that their signal doesn't reach my room! So the person at receptions tells me to come down to the lounge, where the signal was just average. At some point the rate was so low I couldn't even read my email. And anyway, in the lounge I don't have the privacy that I would need for a Skype call, for instance, so it's no solution for me. (I suggested a change of room but it wasn't possible either).
These were the tree reasons why I would accept paying a little more than in the neighboring hotels (just next door, the Arosfa is cute, similar in service, and less expensive!) So now, paying more is not worth anymore.

To be completely fair, there are things that are still as good:
- My basic room (shared bathroom outside) is comfortable, clean, and not so small. Bed and bedspread are comfortable and clean. Nice TV. I haven't tested the phone yet.
- The shared bathroom in my floor was clean (I'm the first one to use it in the morning), and the shower works very well (pressure and temperature)
- Kitchen and cleaning staff is nice (reception staff get me out of my nerves).

All in all, this hotel remains a well-located comfortable option if you don't need a lot of frills. But the Arosfa next door is just as good if not better, less expensive and has cuter furniture (unless it has also changed since my last visit!!!)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo