“Convenient location, very clean”
Review of Arran House Hotel

Arran House Hotel
Ranked #358 of 555 London B&B and Inns
Polk County, FL
“Convenient location, very clean”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Great breakfast, clean bedding, towels and bathrooms. Nice employees. Close to subway station and bus stops. We had a room at the very top of the building which was a hard climb, but what you get with Expedia. No a/c. and it was noisy sleeping with the window open.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on lower floor as stairs are hard with luggage and after a hard day of walking
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I was in a rush to book a room for the night and in comparison to the bigger hotels this seemed like the best price. Good friendly staff and the hotel was very clean and peaceful but for £125 a night I did not expect to have to shower right next to the toilet, my wardrobe at home is bigger than the bathroom and the shower holder had broken too, if the room had been half the price I would have accepted it but instead felt like I was paying for the postcode, more of a guest house than a hotel.

Room Tip: I would ask if all bathrooms are the same size, the one I has was unacceptably small
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank natalie9550
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Great base for exploring London and always knew it would be cosy with 2 adults and 2 teenagers, but don't bother paying extra for an ensuite, it was the size of a broom cupboard!. We used the share facilities which were always very clean. The beds were comfortable and good quality bedding. The breakfast was substantial with the usual array of cereals and hot selection. Not bad for the price.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the ensuite
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Judy B
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We only stayed here for one night and it was ok. It was cheap which was great and it included a very generous breakfast.

We were in a tiny room, sharing bathrooms which were clean every time we used them.

It's ok, not amazing but pretty good value.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This is a late review on this small hotel where I stayed last year October from 7/10 to 10/10 for my short holiday. It was my first trip to London and as my hotel was booked at the last minute, there weren’t many choices for hotel that are affordable and located near both Euston and St Pancreas train stations. I wanted to stay near these stations as I was going to Liverpool after my stay in London and later travelled to Paris. I arrived at the hotel early and met friendly and welcoming staffs Chris and Carol Ann who were there that morning at the tiny hotel counter. As the room was not ready, they offered me to take the morning breakfast which I declined. While waiting for my room to be ready, went through local tour leaflets at the counter and they help to contact and arrange for my tour. Later I realized I have dropped my handset somewhere which I couldn’t find anywhere in the hotel area. I suspected it might be dropped inside the transport which dropped me off at the hotel. Chis assisted me to set up my Skype on my laptop to call my handset which was on roaming. I was lucky since the guy answered my call and told me he picked up my handset on the road in front of the hotel. The guy gave the address of his office just few blocks away. Carol later brought me to that office to collect my handset from the honest guy, Max. It was my day and gave him a small token to Max as my appreciation.
I was put up at a single room no 22 on the second floor and had to carry my baggage up the stairs. This small room without any washroom but it was kept clean. There was a small wash basin as well as a small table and cabinet. Surprised that the shared washroom was kept clean and the shower cubicle is size reasonable. Since my room was facing the road, the noise from the traffic at night could be heard. Like the small garden at the back of the hotel where this is the only place for smoking. But after 2300 hrs, one need to go outside the front for for smoking. The famous shopping area of Oxford Street and Convent Garden are within walking distance. Breakfast is at the basement where the room size is small and it served English breakfast when I was there.
Overall this hotel served my purpose where it is my base for sleeping and keeping my stuffs as I was out early in the morning and only back to hotel at night. Staffs there are friendly and helpful and my thanks especially to both Chris and Carol for making my stay in London enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank bencj88
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed at this small hotel for 3 nights this july. The hotel is small but very comfortable. I had a single room with a shared hall bathroom that it is a few steps up the stairs. The room was super clean, has a desk & armoir for clothes.
The breakfast is included & I loved the typical English breakfast buffet.
I was a bit dissapointed that local phone calls are not included as in USA hotels.... But that is a common thing of London hotels.
Over all, I enjoyed my time in this hotel. I loved that it is super close to the tube station & to a pub.
Also I loved the fact that it is safe and the front door is always locked.
I was also happy of the cleanliness of the place & happy to find it without mold.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again :-)
Oh and the price at £71 during summer time was a major plus :-) and it's next to the British museum :-D

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Dreamings3232
Barcelona
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Good location, 150 metres to Goodge Street station. Breakfast is ok. Staff quite friendly.
But... value for money = 0. I stayed here because it was the only one I found the day before. I had booked another hotel but they cancelled it the day before, so there was no choice, everything fully booked. I paid nearly 200 pounds for a twin bedroom with shared bathroom. A bedroom not larger than 10 sqm. It was 15 degrees outside but amazingly it was like 25 inside. No air conditioning, just 2 noisy fans. I wouldn't pay more than 30 pounds for a room like this. It was a completely daylight robbery. Of course never again, and my recommendation to anyone : avoid this hotel. Well, hotel.. Guest house, that's what it is. This can't be rated as hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Holdenn

Travellers are raving about these London hotels