“High price, but still a good value in this neighborhood.”
Review of Arran House Hotel

Arran House Hotel
Ranked #364 of 567 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 November 2013

OK fellow travelers, it might not be exactly what you expect, so, bullet points!
- This is in an insanely expensive neighborhood. So it's priced like a high end place (read $300 for a double occupancy room), but is more "mid grade" or "homey." The business hotels in the area are $500 per night for smaller, yes, smaller (but nicer / more upscale) rooms.
- It's in a row of apartment-style hotels that all look the same from the outside. But from the online reviews this is one of the nicer / nicest ones.
- I booked a room for double occupancy (thought a friend might join me) and they gave me a triple / quad room (low season)? For the neighborhood, this triple room was quite large.
- The room, and its plentiful linens, were spotless.
- That bathroom was, well, a minor adventure. It was built into the room itself, and featured an airplane-sized kind of sink / toilet setup, plus a tiny shower, with a low ceiling. The shower was tiny enough and close enough to the toilet that two people probably couldn't use them at the same time. (But one person could quite easily! So maybe it's actually a bonus.)
- One of the receptionist dudes was curt and all business, but the other was more of a people person.
- Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Aar0n_M

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I was only staying in London for a night so I only needed a bed but if you are a family and/or if you plan to stay for a few days, don't stay in this hotel. The room is tiny, I haven't been shown where the bathroom was, the guy at the reception was nice but could *just* speak english. And the price per night was just way too expensive.

I am just going to add the room was clean and tidy, so nothing to complain about that

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Francois932
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The worst nightmare I've ever had in a hotel! There was a bed bug infestation in August 2013.
I had hundreds of bites all over my body so I had to go to hospital (Luckely it's very close. Good ubication. ha ha.!!) I had an infection (antibiotics Flucloxacillin 500mg, Piriton allergy tablets, Calamine lotion). Staff denied the issue and they didn't assume any responsability although I collected some alive specimens from under the mattress. It wasn't difficult there were so many!!.
The manager was missing and never appeared. I totally agree with opinions carusar211 and santas_bcn. Their experiences were very similar as mine.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
15  Thank Teresa J
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was slightly aprehensive about this stay after reading some of the negative comments. The shared bathroom facilities were, in fact, very clean, as was my bedding. The room was clean, if a little worn. My only negative comment was that the sheet was straight onto the mattress which did not have a cover of any kind- long term this would be unhygienic. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was more than adequate. Better than some higher graded hotels where the cost is added to your bill. The hotel is centrally located in Bloomsbury and only 15 minutes walk away from Oxford Street, and twenty minutes walk from Chinatown

Room Tip: Gower Street is noisy so a rear room might be better.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I paid £145 for a night - Quad room type on 4th Floor (incl ground floor & then 1st, 2nd..) There was En suit for this room but it was a TINY one. (Less than 2sqm.)

My perception, hotel age is over than 10 years which I assume by the color & texture of carpet and the crack paint on the wall.
"Staff" - Indian Man, he was so nice.
"Luggage" - I do not recommend if you have big luggage & travel to this hotel by tube or any mass transportation. 1st; there is far from the nearest tube "Euston Square" for around 0.6 mile. 2nd there is a tiny room & tiny stairway. Even you do not to carry luggage to room by yourself. I travel to london with my 4 yrs boy with a luggage - 19kg. Then once we have to move to & from here, I have to take TAXI.
"Location" - As mentioned above, Euston Square tube is nearest. But there is also bus stations, not much far from this hotel.BUT this hotel is located on the road with one way traffic from Euston Road >>to British Museum (can't remember the name of the road)
"Breakfast" - Simple.

Actually I did not book this hotel, but I stayed at this hotel. I booked Mabledon Court Hotel (away from here for 1 mile), located near Kings Cross station that I took tube from Heathrow Airport to town. I book the hotel via a website. I had to pay directly to hotel. If I want to adjust or cancel it was free by a certain day. If it was later than that I would be charged for a night. But I was late on this. First I booked for 3 nights for 2 adults & a 4yr boy & then change to only 1 night, then the customer service of website was so helpful to negotiate to the hotel. I would be charged for a night so I stay a night. Once I check in there with my son, only him & me, the 2 Indian men was there. One of them told me that due to we would be 3 pax in a room so they would change me to another hotel for a family room and not far from here. Ummmmm, I assumed that I did not have right to negotiate because it was my false to booked this hotel & did not cancel or adjust on time. So I did not decline his offer. He hired a taxi to Aaron House............So I stayed here.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Room Tip: Top floor with en suit or lower floor with share shower room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KMLPTY
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This hotel changed hands since our first visit six years ago, isn't quite what it was, but remains a good value. The value bumps it up to 4*.

Earlier this year my two daughters and I stayed six nights in a basic triple at the first floor front. High ceilings, bright. Half a flight up to clean tiled WC/shower. The daytime desk clerk was a darling, We appreciate the lounge with its selection of daily newspapers and makings of tea. Free WiFi. We could use the windowsill between outside and inner windows to keep our food cool when the weather was right; I can see how it might get either loud of stuffy in hot weather.

Our sentimental favorite remains the breakfast room. I was up early every day, sat at a corner table and enjoyed the scene: the German women and their teenage daughters who exclaimed with delight and took photos of the breakfast spread, the Scandanavian couple with their young son who always took the opposite far corner table. The hotel attracts an interesting crowd. My daughters sometimes came down so late that they shared tables with a young scientist visiting at a local university and a pub owner from the North in town catering a fancy corporate party. When my younger daughter and I moved to another hotel for a few more nights we missed the convivial feeling.

CONS:
It's a bit shabbier than formerly. Housekeeping standards are spotty: some days they'd give us clean towels. Another day they collected our wet ones but did not replace, took our teacups and didn't leave clean ones. (The desk took care of these things on request.) I had the bed next to the street window, and it took a few nights, even with earplugs and the double glazing, to get used to the street noise. I grew fond of the sounds eventually and used them as an alarm clock when things picked up in the morning.

My fastidious daughter would still like to stay here on our next London trip.

Room Tip: The shared WCs are convenient and clean. Never had a problem having to wait. Garden view rooms are...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I was here In August 2013 and my experience was pretty much exactly the same as Carusar211´s. There is a bed bug infestation throughout the hotel, and to make it worse, the manager and staff denied the issue despite obvious bites throughout my body, pictures, and live specimens taken from the beds. Aside from that, there are underground "dungeon" rooms that are next to the kitchen, dark, dirty, and noisy. The fact that this hotel carries a Certificate of Excellence for 2013 seriously challenges the credibility of Tripadvisor´s certificate program.

Room Tip: Don´t stay here, period.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family