“If you want your own bed.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Arran House Hotel

Arran House Hotel
Ranked #373 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Owen Sound, Canada
“If you want your own bed.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

The Arran House Hotel went above and beyond our expectations for a good family hotel.
We read about it on trip advisor and thought the reviews sounded pretty good. We ( 2 adults and 2 teenagers) wanted each to have our own beds and this hotel caters to that in the form of single beds. A selling point for us. The price was very good at $200.00 Canadian for a room with 4 single beds and a bath with shower.

The hotel was easy to locate and they met us at the door for check-in which was prompt and professional. Alot of the reviews complain about room size but we had a 4 single bed room with plenty of floor space and a nice high ceiling. The bathroom was small, about the size of a cruise ship bathroom, with poor ventilation. We were there in July and the temperatures were in the 30's with high humidity. With no air conditioning it was hot. They have a couple of fans which helped a bit. But we didn't find the second fan until we were ready to check out after 4 hot nights! You could also open the windows but the air outside was just as hot as the air inside.

The bathroom was small but managable. There was no counter space. The water temperature and pressure was excellent. I did not check the communal bathroom but have heard on these reviews that they are fine.

We had a room on the street but with the fan going and being so tired from walking all over the place in the heat, the little amount of traffic that was there did not bother us. They have noise proof windows that make a big difference as well.

Breakfast was included and was delicious. They only put out small portions of the hot food and keep it constantly resplenished so it is not left sitting in the steam trays. They had baked beans, mushrooms, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, fried tomato's, 3 cold cereals, oatmeal, toast, peaches, water, coffee (good coffee!) tea and juice. Thhey had several tables for 2 or 3, 1 for 5 and 1 for 8. I can't say enough good things about the breakfast.

WIFI was available and internet 1 pound for 20 minutes or 2pounds 50 pence for 1 hour.

They have laundry facilities which I did not check into.

The location was prime, 45 minute walk to downtown tourist area, 10 minute walk to Euston and Goodge tube stations.The staff was helpful with directions and general questions. Very friendlly and pleasant. We were also a 20 minute walk from Kings Cross and Pancras train Station.

Beds were very comfortable with white duvets and sheetrs (so you know if they're clean or not, they were) There was a tv in the room and phones that you dial 9 to get an outside line. Coffee and tea makers in room.

They have a very English back garden with wild flowers and no borders or any real plans to the garden, just Mother Nature. There were 2 resident bunnies and of course ashtrays for all of us who still like to smoke on occasion.

Within 10 minutes to Marks and Spencer grocery store, Boots pharmacy and Mcdonalds, Burger King, KFC, Etc. Also near the British Museum and the British Library.

Overall it was very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone not wanting the usual Holiday Inn or Hiloton Etc. It's unique and homey with an overall relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Hungarian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

This is the second time we've stayed at the Arran House and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. The rooms are comfortable and clean, the en-suite bathrooms are VERY tiny but there are common bathrooms available which is handy when you have 4 people in one room. The breakfast is really good and when we had to check out early in the morning they had a continental breakfast laid out for us to help ourselves. Staff are very helpful and can organise cars to and from the airports.
The hotel is situated in two lovely terrace houses in a fantastic location - it's a short walk to the British museum, Tottenham Court Rd, Oxford St and Soho. Also really handy for Kings Cross Station and St Pancras. Can't wait to go back to London and visit again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

Wonderful time here, great breakfast, small but comfy and clean rooms in a well-maintained building with incredible front desk staff that made us feel both well-cared-for and secure. Throughout the hotel staff smiled and seemed happy to help.

Our group had two rooms, only one was ensuite. My teenaged son said that room was small but he was happy with it (#25). Our other room on the top floor (#12 I think) had a shared bath but, because the floor’s section is small, there was only two other rooms to share with and we never encountered anyone even though the hotel was full. The modern, large sink in our own room was also very convenient. WIFI was not working as well as we would have hoped, but staff repeatedly took action to address that as best they could on a weekend. The very nice common areas included a TV and two pay-as-you-go desktop computers in the front living room, and a cosy garden area where lounging or taking your breakfast was a nice break. Left-luggage was stored inn this area, which wasn’t ideal but it was monitored by security cameras displaying constantly to the receptionist, and a locked and well-monitored front door kept the public out. The neighborhood was very safe feeling and quiet except for traffic, which included many buses (earplugs certainly recommended if your room faces the street). This location was unbeatable for a tourist exploration visit, not just for the nearby British Museum, but for access to shopping, and walking or an easy bus or tube ride to numerous highlights of London. Our family enjoyed the Dominion Theater performance of ‘We Will Rock You’, with it’s great Queen classic rock music. We had bought those tickets before arriving in London to find the Dominion was only about 5 blocks from our hotel - what a bonus!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Duluth, Minnesota, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

I love, love Arran House! We stayed there 7 nights and I would so stay there again. Lovely room (#1 on the ground floor) facing the garden, there were 3 of us and a miniscule bathroom but it was ok. Good and filling breakfasts, I liked the buffet style so we could get in and out quickly. Use of kitchen and garden big pluses in my book, we liked drinking a bottle of wine in the garden with our bread, cheese, olives, and pate from Borough Market. Friendly and very helpful staff, esp. the woman from South Africa, who was esp. kind to my daughter. Central location, across the street from a bus stop and a block or so away from the Goodge St. underground station. This is a GREAT b&b, I've stayed in a lot of places in London and this one is up there in my book. Thank you Arran House staff for being so helpful and hospitable. I so hope to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Claire55812
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

I was there with my husband and a couple of friends. The situation of the bnb is perfect for visiting London. We could walk to many attractions and we had buses passing in the street just of the door.

We had a room on the third floor in the front and our friends had a room in 2nd floor on the back.
Both room where clean, well equiped and with good size by european standard. The bed was very comfortable. (that was very important for me) We enjoyed to have wifi access in our room. The only negative point is the too small bathroom, but I understand it had been added in the room to make it en-suite. I was still happy to have it in the room even if it was very small.

Breakfast served in the basement was very good: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toasts, beans, tomatos, mushrooms, croissant, cereals, yaourt, fruits, warm oatmeal, juice, tea, coffee, hot chocolat... and I am sure I forgot something. The room is not big enough and we had to wait some morning but if the weather is nice, you can bring your breakfast in the back yard garden. Very nice to eat there. For a+, they could add bananas in the fruits basket.

The staff is very nice and smiling. They seem happy to work there.

All and all, we were all satisfied with our stay at Arran House. We felt good in the place and at home in our room.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Wells - Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

I have, over the past fifteen years, stayed at the Arran Hotel more than twenty times.
I just love everything about it. The cleanliness and brightness never fail to comfort and energise me. The use of the rose garden, kitchen and laundry facilities are generous extras and not something to considered your right. A fridge is also provided for the exclusive use of guests.
Breakfasts. Every possible component for the traditional English breakfast, assorted pattisseries, home made yoghurt, fruit, five types of cereals, toast.
A choice of teas, coffee, fruit juice. What more do you want?
Showers not big enough, , Breakfast room not big enough. Perhaps you are one of the growing army of oversize people we see waddling around our cities.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Frances39
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

Love this hotel, stayed a 3rd time in July 09 and a 4th time in May 2010. I have stayed in 4 different rooms now and all have been spotless, yes typically "London-small", modern bathroom, crisp white linen, good towels and comfy beds. Full English breakfast, hot and ample with fresh fruit to go. A great location 2 blocks from British Museum, easy walk or bus down Tottenham Crt Rd to Oxford Street, about 4 blocks to St Pancras for the EuroStar and easy access across this end of town to the West End & Covent Garden. Handy to the underground at Goodge St & Russell St. I ring from Aust to book, confirm by email and then reconfirm the week I leave Australia and I've never had a hiccup. I;m able to leave my luggage prior to room being avail if I'm early and after vacting the room if I;m leaving later. If flying in from Oz, take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and a taxi to the Hotel (approx 6-7 pounds) otherwise take the underground to Goodge St and walk.

Stayed May 2010, travelled solo