“Absolutely terrible!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #882 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely terrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

I arrived at the hotel late on the 3rd December as I was staying in London for a night for a conference on the 4th. On arrival I asked whether there was any chance anyone could bring me something up for breakfast at 7am the next morning, as I was set to leave the hotel before 7:30am which was before breakfast was due to start. I was told this was not possible as it was the responsibility of another department and it wouldn't be possible to co-ordinate. So despite the fact I had paid for breakfast I didn't receive any.

I then walked up the extremely narrow staircase up to my room on the 4th floor, which was quite a struggle with a suitcase and not much space! The room was extremely small but as I was only staying for 8 hours I decided it was fine as long as I got a good night's sleep. Unfortunately I was woken at 2am by my drunken neighbours. The walls were paper thin so I was constantly being woken up by people, as well as the sound of the pipes, which were ridiculously loud. Needless to say I had one of the worst night's sleep ever, but to make matters even worse, there was no hot water when I showered in the morning!! How can a hotel not have hot running water?! I was forced to have a cold shower which is completely unacceptable in a hotel! I then made myself a cup of tea with the kettle in the room seeing as I wasn't going to get any breakfast. The tea curdled as I poured the milk in as I later realised it was out of date!

I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here, it was absolutely terrible. No sleep, no hot water, no breakfast and not even a cup of tea to make up for it all!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank K J J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Warrington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Our experience started off ok. We arrived too early to check in and after half hour were told a room could quickly be made up.
First problem - cleaner said she couldn't put baby cot up - that's because it was broken! We got no bedding for the baby. Not even a sheet.
The room was clean but could do with a Hoover to get the dirt out of the cracks of the floor boards which I could feel under my feet.
At night we could hear the people above and to the side of us. The noise was very loud.
Breakfast was a choice of drinks. Three cereals, yoghurts, oranges, croissants or barely toasted bread! My mum opened a yoghurt to a pot of MOULD!!!! No apology from staff - they said it wasn't their fault it was the suppliers?!?! So what you don't check dates on stuff just stick it out?!
Oh and no high chair for the baby.
We stayed one side of the hotel - the rest of the family was in the other in two separate rooms - they had NO water in the morning - and guess what - the hotel said it wasn't their fault?!?!
The bathroom - I have more space in my downstairs cupboard - my boyfriend couldn't stand to use the loo because the sink was in the way!
The receptionist offered no apologies - just said I'm just a receptionist.
There is no lounge so if you want to relax you ave to lay on bed as that is all there is room for in the room.
AVOID

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Cumbria, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Location is good for the price. Our room was ok to look at and appeared clean. Two very old bed side tables bolted to floor, with sharp edge hanging over the bed, luckily (I guess ) the floor was so uneven the bed rolled away from it exposing dirty flooring that was attached, the shower was tiny and all night all you could hear was other guests due to the gaps under the door, people using the shower and more disgustingly the toilet from beginning to end.

We were on the top floor so was quite a walk each time we left and came back to the hotel, I pity the people with health problems.

After no sleep in the first night, I went to reception to complain and ask if there was any possibility we could be relocated and they just said no, it's the same issue everyone complains about!!! Ok so your not working on the problem??

As I said its a good l location but I would not recommend the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for one night only. The room was small, yes. But the location was great.
Great for restaurants, close to Paddington. A really handy place to go sightseeing in London.
I recommend this place and would stay there again.

Room Tip: We asked for a low floor as there was no lift. Great choice.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Lisbon, Portugal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had a car accident and lost my flight, on the day that I was supposed to stay at this hotel. On the same day I called them, explaining the situation, and asked if they would mind pushing my reservation forward 2 days, because I had only been able to get a new flight for then. They said that they wouldn't let me do it, that if i wanted to change the date I had to cancel my reservation (paying the 100% cancellation fee) and book another room. They didn't care about my accident, about the fact that I had just paid 300€ extra for a new flight, and they just cared about the money. They weren't even trying to retain a customer. This is an hotel that I will avoid forever.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Divmang
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

My friends and I just have a trip to the UK last week. We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. We arrived the hotel in the morning, before a check-in time. The staff allowed us to leave our three large luggages there without further charge and when we came back at night we found that, unbelievable, they put all of our luggaes to our room which was on the 3rd floor !! Even if the room was very small and there was no elevator, the location of this hotel was excellent, just 5 minutes walk from London Paddington station. If you look for a hotel with a good location, Ashley hotel could be one in all of your choices.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank JannyDeMuffin
Durban, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

The hotel is at an excellent place for public transport,unfortunately the room that I was allocated to was frustrating because I struggled to get into the shower ,the space was extremely small i have to squeeze myself to the shower area with my average size imagine if I was of a bigger size I would not have been able to have a bath.
What also I did not like is that bed linen was not changed every day and yet I paid daily rates can u imagine in that heat sleeping on the same sheets for 7days
Staff was friendly and helpful
Anna

Room Tip: please request to see the room allocated to you before signing any papers
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo