“Lovely staff but ......”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ashley London

Ashley London
Ranked #894 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Great Yarmouth, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely staff but ......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I would stay elsewhere, the room was clean but small and the fact we had to sleep in a single bed pushed together didn't impress me. You could hear every noise due to the laminate flooring. It was close to Paddington tube station ...sadly that's about it. Breakfast was a joke cheap cereal, apples oranges a few pastries long life horrible yogurts and toast made for you wow whoopy dooo !! I would not be staying there again.

Room Tip: don't choose 202 nosey plumbing or something that went on and on all chuffing night.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I booked this trip for my 40th Birthday with my husband. I wish I hadn't.
Plus Points = Good budget price. Great location, Close to Paddington, the tube and Hyde park is just down the road. Helpful staff. Very Clean.
Unfortunately that's where the good points end.

I had booked a double room. We checked in, went to our room and it was a twin. Went to reception, and they tried to insist I had booked a twin, even though the confirmation clearly stated double. They told us to "put the beds together then" - erm - no!

Eventually given another room, at the back end of the hotel, and whilst there was a very uncomfortable double in there - that was about all you could fit in. You couldn't even open the bathroom door(which was more like a tiny airing cupboard, that you had to squeeze between the sink and the loo - god help anyone who's a size 14+) properly without it banging on the bed. No bedside table, no lamp, badly fitted laminate floors, kettle but no where near plug socket, single wardrobe with 1 hanger. New TV - NO remote! But, as both my husband and I said, its only somewhere to sleep. Unfortunately that was not possible either!

As another reviewer has written, as the rooms have laminate you can hear upstairs drop a pin.
However, for us, it was the unbearable noisy plumbing and bathroom extractors. If upstairs/ next Door / across the hall / or below flushed, or ran the tap, or turned on the bathroom light so that the extractor fan came on, it was like sleeping directly under the flight path of a low flying plane! It went on all night and was awful. I complained (at about 1am) and said that I wanted my room changing (again) the very next morning. We did get another room (slightly bigger than a match box), but the noise was still really bad, and it was in a different part of the hotel, so can only assume its an all over problem.

Breakfast was crap. Smart price cornflakes / bran flakes and rice crispies. A Few Apples and pastries. They did make fresh toast though, which was lovely.

The staff though (in particular the lady that wears a suit at breakfast time and then spends all day cleaning) were very nice and helpful.

From reading this back, I sound like a right moaner. Let me assure you that this is the first time I have ever felt compelled to write a bad review. I am normally very easily pleased, I suppose though that lack of sleep for 3 nights makes one a little grumpy! I would not go back.

Room Tip: Don't have 106 or 209
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kirsty G

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

I came home from London today and i stayed at Ashley hotel. I lived in London before and saw some different hotel it this class and i think this Was The best one I have seen! The staff Was really helpful and friendly. The room had a good cizes, due The bathroom Was pretty small but how much time do you spend in there in you compare to The room? We also had one extra bed in our room because we were 3 girls and we still had space to move around without any problem. The dubblebed Had place for all of us while we were watching tv and that Was perfect! We lived on The ground floor and we heard alot from The street but The area Was a calm one so that Was not a big problem. The breakfast Was good in you compare to other hotels I have been in. They cleaned The room Everyday and we allways got know towels and sheets. So i have to say that The next time I'm going to London i Will stay at this hotel again ! It Was close to shops, restaurants and Both The tubs and The bus and it Was a beautiful park infront of The hotel so that Was great !

• Stayed February 2014
Milan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

A good budget hotel very close to Paddington station in a nice and quite sqaure with communal gardens.
Staff is very helpful, room very basic but ok, breakfast quality could be improved.
If you are on a tight budget and are looking for an ok accomodation this is the right place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. My booking was lost and the card machine was broken. The receptionist suggested that I could go back to the ATM at Paddington (at 9.30 pm) to collect the cash. I refused to do this. The room had no bedside table and no lamp. The water was lukewarm. The 'bathroom' was so small that I had to turn sideways to get to the shower. The bed was uncomfortable, the pillows thin and every time I moved, the bed shot out from the wall. I was on the first floor with an interconnecting balcony, but there was no catch on the window so it couldn't be made secure. The side table in the room was made out of bare chipboard, and it was so small that I had to keep all my things on my suitcase.
The breakfast was really poor- some bowls of cheap cereal, a few apples , some small pastries and processed cheese. The hotel called me at work to say that they still couldn't find my booking for the second night and were very worried about the payment, even though I had stayed there before and all my things were still in the room. When I got back to the hotel, the card machine still wasn't working, and I waited for 20 minutes to pay for my room, but unfortunately there were two Spanish guests in front of me, whose booking also could not be found. When I finally got the the desk, I was informed that one night had been taken from my card, but the second one had still to be paid in cash. When I asked why, the receptionist became defensive. The old Ashley ( now under new management) was a great option for the working traveller. No more. The old slightly sticky carpets have been replaced by laminate flooring, which means that footsteps from the room above echo all night. A terrible experience.
Do not stay here.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Val W
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

I arrived at the hotel late on the 3rd December as I was staying in London for a night for a conference on the 4th. On arrival I asked whether there was any chance anyone could bring me something up for breakfast at 7am the next morning, as I was set to leave the hotel before 7:30am which was before breakfast was due to start. I was told this was not possible as it was the responsibility of another department and it wouldn't be possible to co-ordinate. So despite the fact I had paid for breakfast I didn't receive any.

I then walked up the extremely narrow staircase up to my room on the 4th floor, which was quite a struggle with a suitcase and not much space! The room was extremely small but as I was only staying for 8 hours I decided it was fine as long as I got a good night's sleep. Unfortunately I was woken at 2am by my drunken neighbours. The walls were paper thin so I was constantly being woken up by people, as well as the sound of the pipes, which were ridiculously loud. Needless to say I had one of the worst night's sleep ever, but to make matters even worse, there was no hot water when I showered in the morning!! How can a hotel not have hot running water?! I was forced to have a cold shower which is completely unacceptable in a hotel! I then made myself a cup of tea with the kettle in the room seeing as I wasn't going to get any breakfast. The tea curdled as I poured the milk in as I later realised it was out of date!

I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here, it was absolutely terrible. No sleep, no hot water, no breakfast and not even a cup of tea to make up for it all!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank K J J
Warrington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Our experience started off ok. We arrived too early to check in and after half hour were told a room could quickly be made up.
First problem - cleaner said she couldn't put baby cot up - that's because it was broken! We got no bedding for the baby. Not even a sheet.
The room was clean but could do with a Hoover to get the dirt out of the cracks of the floor boards which I could feel under my feet.
At night we could hear the people above and to the side of us. The noise was very loud.
Breakfast was a choice of drinks. Three cereals, yoghurts, oranges, croissants or barely toasted bread! My mum opened a yoghurt to a pot of MOULD!!!! No apology from staff - they said it wasn't their fault it was the suppliers?!?! So what you don't check dates on stuff just stick it out?!
Oh and no high chair for the baby.
We stayed one side of the hotel - the rest of the family was in the other in two separate rooms - they had NO water in the morning - and guess what - the hotel said it wasn't their fault?!?!
The bathroom - I have more space in my downstairs cupboard - my boyfriend couldn't stand to use the loo because the sink was in the way!
The receptionist offered no apologies - just said I'm just a receptionist.
There is no lounge so if you want to relax you ave to lay on bed as that is all there is room for in the room.
AVOID