“Small small small and not cheap”
Review of Hotel Columbus

Hotel Columbus
Ranked #506 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 July 2012

The hotel is in an area with a lot of this kind of hotels. All of them seem to be similar. Columbus has Not a lot of rooms, small ones and the cleanless can be improved. A lot of dust on the elevated mirror of the room or whre the tv is hold.
Breakfast is not english at all, only ham, cheese, bread, coffe, honey and some croissant.
People ok, a french girl did the check in and we could have the four beds room before the time arranged.
She gave us the map with the discounts in attractions and restaurants. Very interesting discounts.
Very close to the tube(lancaster station)
Bathroom very very very small, but clean.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank curroga
There are newer reviews for Hotel Columbus

Reviewed 12 July 2012

Hotel situated really close to Hyde Park so really good for that. Staff could use some training in being warmer, happier in their jobs! An friendly to paying guests!!. I rang several days before to ask if we cod leave our luggage prior to check in on our day if arrival. This was ok but on arrival we were told to leave our bags in the hall way at the bottom of the stairs!!. The room we were in an our friends could have been updated. Furniture old an warn, wall paper torn an marks all over it. Bathrooms are tiny, could do with ranting and a re- fresh in rooms. For a hotel in its location it is a reasonable price. The bed was comfy, quite a few stairs to climb, no lift.....

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 5 July 2012

It was a very ideal hotel very close to paddington station, hyde park and even regent's park. The bathroom was small however it was ok. Our room had a balcony and so it was well aerated. Every morning our linens were changed and the bathroom cleaned everyday. There is also a tv and wifi in the room. At night we slept very well, the noise from the road was not heard only the noise of the ambulance but it wasn't a problem. The breakfast was also very good and there was ample amounts. It is perfect for a short holiday were one can enjoy the museums and historical places in London.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dramaticlor
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I was now the third time in this hotel and was really satisfied with the first two times. The rooms were always small and had a bath, which was more like a airplane toilet, but for a city break, it was perfectly adequate. But this time I was not happy, because at night when I got with wet hair from the bathroom, I realized that there was no outlet in the bathroom and no mirror in the room, although it was on the website that any room would be equipped with mirror in bathroom and room. The next morning I spoke with the receptionist, who reacted very bugged and was not poised to provide a mirror, until I asked for a discount for the room. But the greatest insolence I experienced when I came back in the evening. The woman had placed a hand mirror in the room. How should I blow dry my hair with a hand mirror?

So if you really have no expectations, and neither must blow dry your hair or shave your beard, then the hotel is ideal. Otherwise, one should perhaps look for another hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Balkonurlaub
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Location: The hotel is located a short walk away from St Mary’s Hospital and Paddington Station which is very convenient but it is on a very busy ring road that goes through to central London. The noise from the road wasn’t a problem at all but you may find it difficult to pull in to the hotel if you’re parking on a very busy day.

Facilities: The welcome at the hotel was pretty good and the male receptionist helpful. The hotel has parking out front if you’re very lucky to get a space which we were. If you’re not able to get a space there is parking at Paddington station which we’ve used a number of times and used that day once we had to book out of our room. It’s not cheap but it is easy to get to. The hotel has a very small dining area at the front where the complementary continental breakfast is held the next morning. There’s a toaster, spreads, cereals, pastries, hot drinks and juices. Breakfast is basic but ok.

The Room: We were put in to a room on the ground floor directly behind reception which worried me a little as I thought there might be noise from other patrons coming down the stairs but these old buildings are built to be fairly insulated thankfully so it wasn’t an issue. The room had just one window out to a enclosed area and other windows so no view but that wasn’t an issue, we were able to open it to get fresh air. The bedroom was relatively clean with quite old fashioned English styled décor with ornamental drapes around the back. There was a kettle and dresser with good lighting which was appreciated. The bathroom wasn’t the best though, very small with dodgy looking lighting, tiny sink, nowhere to put a wash bag other than on the not so clean floor, no bath. I was so disappointed I didn’t even use the old looking shower.

Overall: The hotel was a convenient location, good value for money overall but the bathroom was the only disappointment. If you can get past that it’s a good choice.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Avoid this hotel at all costs if you are looking for good customer service!

I booked into the hotel with my friend for one night, we booked a double room and when I checked in I signed a slip of paper I was told was my receipt.

The next day when I checked out I was told I was being charged for smoking in my room. I explained that both my friend and I were non smokers and I assured them that there was no way that we smoked in the room. I also pointed out that no-one came to my room to complain about smoking and that I have never smoked in my life as I suffer from asthma and carry an inhalor in my bag. I asked to speak to the manager and I was told that he was unavailable. I had to leave as I was catching a train and I left my telephone number for the manager to contact me.

I refused to pay the fine as I did not smoke in the room and my friend and I are both non smokers.

A week later I discovered that the hotel had debited an additional £50 from my account without authorisation so I called them immediately to complain. I was told that I had signed a piece of paper when I checked into the hotel that said I would be charged £50 from my debit card if I smoked in the room. This was not pointed to me and I requested a copy of it and again I requested the manager call me ASAP.

I recived a copy of the receipt in the post along with a photocopy of a photograph.

The reciept did state the smoking charge at the bottom of the small peice of paper but I was told I was just signing in and signing a receipt for the cost of my room rate. It was not explained to me that any additional cost could be taken from my card without my authroization.

The photograph was of a cigarette on a window ledge outside of the hotel (ground level). It was not even inside the hotel room!!!

I called the hotel again to speak to the manger, again I was told he was not available. I explained that I was not happy at all as both my friend and I were non smokers and we were not responsible for the cigarette found on the outside of the window but I was told that no-one in the hotel was willing to discuss it further with me, the manager did not need to call me back and if I was unhappy I should contact a lawyer.

I wrote to the hotel manager with my complaint but needless to say I did not get a reply. So I am £50 out of pocket and although this happened some months ago I am still very angry about it and I am yet to recieve a call from the manager.

Apart from the room being so small and what only can be described as a portaloo in the corner of the room which doubled as a shower - it is not worth the money to stay in this hotel (and that's before you get charged an additional £50 for nothing).

I did not write a bad review about this hotel for some time as I was hoping that the hotel would refund my £50 fine as I am a non smoker and there was no evidence of smoke inside my room but after dozens of attemps to speak to the manger and letters I have been ignored,

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
10  Thank pankol
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Within a five minute walk from Paddington Station. Clean. Good Breakfast. Service was OK. We only paid 168 Pound for the four of us for two nights. A real bargain! You can open the window for some fresh air and it is really quiet.
Just one thing: our room was small, but big enough for just two nights, but the bathroom is very very small, but nevertheless spotlessly clean ;-).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends