“A decent place in an interesting area”

Clayton Crown Hotel
Ranked #412 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“A decent place in an interesting area”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This is a basic but good 3 to 4 star hotel, with all services expected of such a place. It is nice and clean, the food is good, the rooms are fine, the service is pretty good. All in all, it's not a bad place to be.

The immediate area is pretty cool. It's a piece of traditional, real, non-touristic London, and is really interesting. There are some cool pubs and restaurants around, and Hampstead & Kilburn High Road are cool areas not very far.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for the review of the hotel and locale. I am pleased you found the hotel nice & clean, with good food & service – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Our friends and ourselves booked this hotel by mistake but what a wonderful mistake it turned out to be. We booked an all inclusive flight and hotel plus breakfast and thought we were booking a hotel close to Buckingham Palace .
The Crown Moran is about 40 minutes by bus from Victoria Station but the bus stops right outside the door. My husband figured out routes each day to the major sites in London. We used bus , train and tube so often it did not take as long . It was fun to see the sites then relax back at the hotel . We would stop at the corner store for a couple cans of beer , walk into the Crown, ask for a bucket of ice and visit with our friends in our room ,play bridge and drink a beer. We would then go to the charming Pub attached to the hotel and have a delicious dinner. The wait staff were all very interesting .We noticed quite a few were from Romania ,Poland and France . We ate in the Asian restaurant once and found it to be just as good. The breakfasts we incredible. Everything anyone could want was there.
Our room was very clean , spacious , quiet, and the bed was comfortable . The staff were always helpful although we did have one snag when we did not receive our wake up call prior to our trip outside London. Luckily the taxi arrived a few minutes early and called up to us.
I highly recommend the Crown. Don't be afraid of the distance outside the centre of London because the Crown is well worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review, I am so pleased the (international!) team looked after you and that you really rated the facilities; sorry about the missed wake-up call and so glad it did not make you tardy. I look forward to welcoming you back – General Manager
London
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Well my husband and I both stayed here for 2 nights on5th and 6th October for a function.
At last a hotel that got it right... A decent spacious roll-in shower and everything the height for a wheelchair user.
Only downside we had a twin room instead of a double but we could live with that and a busstop outside the bedroom window which meant keeping the curtains closed was the best option. Other than that everything else was great.
We had our Irish breakfast in our room and well cooked sausages and very yummy.

We would definately stay there again if in that area.

Room Tip: If you are a disabled person in a wheelchair there is plenty of space in the room to move about and...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
I am delighted we have another satisfied customer. Do hurry back – General Manager
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I've visited this hotel in December 2012. My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 full nights. The room was really amazing and clean (I really enjoyed that I could make myself every morning a cup of coffee or tea). The hotel also has a very beautiful lobby and a pub.
Advice: Be prepared with 50 pounds for deposit, but don't worry, the hotel will return this sum at the end of your stay (we weren't prepared and that came a little bit as a surprise).
There is also a McDonalds right next to the hotel and also a Romanian shop across the street so it felt like home:)). On the way to the subway station you will pass several restaurants and pubs (in case you would like to grab a bite to eat).
The real downside however was the trip to and from the Kilburn subway station (10-15 minutes every morning). But since we are young we didn't mind the exercise. Other reviews mentioned the disturbing atmosphere of this neighborhood at night. I must confess I would have been a little afraid if I wouldn't walk back to the hotel with my boyfriend. But altogether the place seemed peaceful.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for the review, the Housekeeper will be delighted with your comments and I am glad it felt like home. We hope to welcome you back really soon – General Manager
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The hotel is beautiful but not in the nicest area of London. The rooms are very nice and the bathrooms in excellent condition. The rooms have air conditioning also! The only bad thing is the breakfast. We ordered from the menu and waited 45 minutes for a full Irish and an omelet. We did figure out they had forgot us and never placed our order. Once they realized they did place the order and had it rushed to us and the omelet was not cooked and either were the fried eggs. It was disgusting. When we commented on the uncooked food nothing was done. Only bad thing about the hotel we could find. It is horrible the way the wait staff acted and showed no concern for their customers. Really need some training on treatment of customers. Thank heavens we only spent one night because I would of hated to go through that again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the main street which is extremely noisy with the window open!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you for kind review of the hotel and I am truly sorry that the breakfast team disappointed. I hope that you will consider the Crown Moran again – General Manager
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My Partner and I stayed at the Crown Moran on 17-19th September. The room, the swimming pool and the general amenities, including room service, were impeccable. However, our lovely stay was spoilt on the evening of Wednesday 18th September when, after a long day of sightseeing in London, I asked the receptionist at the lobby what kind of takeaway restaurants were available in the area. He was in the middle of a conversation with an acquaintance, which I interrupted, and he replied to me "There are 100s in the area - pick one." I merely wanted to know what types of food I could quickly procure as my partner and I were tired and hungry. Firstly, there were patently not 100s of takeaway restaurants in the area. More importantly, I did not expect to be treated so rudely and dismissively by someone who is supposed to be there to help. I will not be recommending or returning to any Crown Moran hotels as their training in politeness and service are obviously not up-to-date or maintained.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for taking time to positively review the hotel given the extremely poor service from the Front Desk. Please accept my sincere apologies and be assured that this matter has already been addressed - General Manager
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

We booked for 2 nights as a break after a busy work schedule and before getting an early morning Eurostar trip on our departure date. On our arrival date we travelled a few hours by train and called ahead to let the hotel receptionist know we would be arriving late. We then got train and tube to the hotel (a short walk from the stations) but on arrival were told we were going to be transferred to another hotel in Chelsea. We were told it was a short taxi ride away but, as my boyfriend is from London he explained to the receptionist she was misinforming guests and could be up to one hour away in traffic. We weren't happy with the transfer but were informed we would be transferred back in the morning and would receive a free room upgrade (instead we got a free bottle of wine). On the way back to the Crown the next morning the taxi driver didn't know where he was going and was constantly on the phone, he also wasn't pleased when we said we weren't paying and that he would be paid by the hotel. We were too late for breakfast by this time and didnt make breakfast on the second day due to our early departure. Because of the 'overbooking' I would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Happyhotelinspector
Michael R, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Sorry that we disappointed you Happyhotelinspector, I apologise unreservedly that you were booked out and regret that you have said you would not stay here again. Should you change your mind please contact me in advance of your arrival and I will guarantee an altogether more positive experience – General Manager