“Bill Bryson opportunity for a chapter”

Clayton Crown Hotel
Ranked #398 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Bill Bryson opportunity for a chapter”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Nothing that Bill Bryson likes better in his travel writing, than to extol the virtues of anything that is untypical. The Crown Moran is different, it's clean, has attentive friendly staff in all departments, it's quiet, has good access options for the City, is easily accesed by car.
It's quirkiness is its other strength, If it has a weakness, sadly it 's that you can't get a decent cider without nipping down the road to Wetherspoons. Not a major issue I accept, but just thought I'd mention it anyway.
My better half booked the Crown for our 2 night stay In London, due not only to it's close proximity to Wembley Arena, but that it was an hotel that her colleagues always gave good feedback on whenever she made London hotel reservations in her role as PA.
Never did find out who basement Bentley was, look forward to meeting him next time I visit the Crown Moran, perhaps he'll buy me a pint of Black Dragon cider. lol.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan G
Chiswick_Moran, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear sirgaralad,

Thank you for your kind, thoughtful and entertaining review.

I am so pleased that you and "she" enjoyed your stay and hope that she continues to make use of us for her colleagues and that we see you both again also.

basement Bentley
Wedding & Event Space for up to 300
;)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 12 April 2014

To be honest, it is a nice hotel, and it could easily be an amazing hotel....it just needs a little work.

I arrived very early, and the staff happily took my bags for the days whilst I went round London. The Hotel is about a 15 minute walk from a Tube station, but plenty of Busses around if you are capable of working out the London bus system...I'm not!

The room was very nice, although the window overlooked the indoor pool...would have liked a external view, but for the price it was okay, the bed was very nice, but the A/C is a little bizzar, and you should check in the booklet how to operate, I called the desk..twice to get them to come get it to turn up because the room was rather warm. Also the taxi service they arranged wasn't anything to write home about!

On that note, there is definitely a pool in the hotel, and you are aware of this from when you walk in, as the chlorine smell fills the place!

Overall a positive stay, with a alright breakfast, but I don't think I will be returning anytime soon....

Note: I got a 80% deal on the hotel, so value for money yes, but I wouldn't pay the normal price for sure!!

Room Tip: Try and find a room that is looking out to London, not to the kids in the pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Will O
Dear Will O,

Thank you for your comments.

While I am glad that on the whole you seemed to enjoy your stay, I am sorry that your room was not to your liking.

While all of our rooms are clean and spacious, we will give our guests a choice of rooms depending on their personal preference and would happily have moved you to a street facing room, however as you mentioned, your stay was booked on a hugely discounted deal due to this being our very last remaining room for that evening so this was not possible on this occasion.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed here a few times on business, nice hotel very clean and presentable however shame about the staff and service!!!! Plan ahead for checking in and out, you'll be waiting a while. It does appear a consistent theme that the staff do struggle to understand English fully, and I've experienced this on each visit. We had booked breakfast and entered the dining area waiting to be seated, we were received pleasantly and seated at a table for two. Here the service stopped, we were just left at our table to sit and wait, No information was relayed advising where we could help ourselves to juices, fruit and toast, we just observed other helping themselves and joined in -very poor. We returned to our table to find someone else had been seated here, it took me around 5mins to get the waitress to understand the issue. We were just smiled at and given another table which had not been set!!! On checking out we waited a while, confusion over the receipt and parking amount which took even longer. On walking to the lifts we realised we hadn't been given our parking ticket, by chance I decided to check at the reception rather than potentially try and exit the car-park without a ticked. The lady on reception just said yes you need one, again I tried to no avail to sate the lady who had checked us out had forgotten to give it to me. Simply a waste of time, a smile and a laugh - not taken seriously at all!!! A real shame, service in the leisure industry is paramount, you can have the nicest accommodation, food etc. but if your service is poor people will not return or recommend you.

Room Tip: You may struggle with plugging in devices, the plugs sockets are on the top of the desk with very li...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Melanie R
Dear Melanie,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review as all feedback both good and bad is welcome to help us maintain our high standards.

I am truly sorry to hear that you did not experience the best level of service during your stay. As can be see from other reviews here on Tripadvisor, the vast majority of whom take time to complement our staff, this is certainly not typical, but do apologise that on this occasion we have let ourselves down.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Wow!!! Very posh. Lobby is absolutely stunning, stayed in a lovely triple standard room, food is to die for. And all this for £303. Room is bigger than the hilton we stayed in last year! TV is lovely, swimming pool is soothing, gymnasium is indescribably good.
5 stars from me!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Udit M
Dear Udit M,

I think the title of your review says it all!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your lovely comments and we hope to see you again when you next visit London.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed here as a wedding guest. My first impressions were that the hotel was very luxurious for where it is situated. My room was clean, comfy and had everything I needed. All you ask for really. The staff were friendly and helpful. The actual wedding was brilliant. The food was wonderful and you completely forgot you were in the middle of a busy part of London.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ellie S
Dear Ellie S,

While we try to make the stay of each and every one of our guests as enjoyable as possible, it is always wonderful to hear that those who have stayed with us to help celebrate the special day of one of their family or friends has loved not only their hotel stay, but the entire wedding experience.

I am so glad you has a great time with us.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Can not fault this hotel - easy access to London. 10 mins walk to Tube station & 5 mins tube into Bond St / Westminster. Great beds. Quiet rooms. Nice atmosphere in bar & restaurant. Would recommend for weekend in London.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank indianniem
Dear indianniem,

I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and would recommend us.

Thank you taking the time to post your comments.

Conwy County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Overall we were happy with our stay. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Had problems with the air conditioning which were sorted out promptly.
Extremely unhappy to have my credit card charged after we had checked out. Emails that I've sent have been ignored. It was for a very small amount of money, but how often do they do this without people realising?? Would not stay again for this reason.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Osckrb
Dear Osckrb,

Thank you for your review. While I am pleased that you found the hotel to your liking, I am sorry that there was a mix up with your credit card. I understand there was an issue with you bank releasing your guarantee, but that this has since been rectified and do hope this does not deter you from staying with us again.