“Pleasant stay at the Crown Moran”

Clayton Crown Hotel
Ranked #416 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just arrived home after a very pleasant stay at the Crown Moran hotel. Found everything to be well above average. Rooms spotless, well equipped, spacious and everything you could ask for. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was great and well suited to everybody, a good, varied choice. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Chiswick_Moran, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2014

Dear ItsLeila9,

It's so nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to sharing your experience.

Most importantly, it's great that you will be both staying with us again and recommending us to your friends as this says it all.

There are newer reviews for Clayton Crown Hotel

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night, going into London one day for sights and shopping and then to the Harry Potter studio tour on the way home.

It was an ideal location for going into the city as it was a 15 minute walk from Kilburn tube station then only about 15 minute journey into Central London. If you're lazy you could get the bus to the tube station but it isn't as much of a walk as people suggest. A lot of reviews say the area is rough, it isn't rough just multi-cultural as are many parts of London. We felt safe walking to/from the tube station. There were lots of paper shops/takeaways nearby and also a McDonald's/KFC right next door.

We arrived about 12pm, parked in the car park (£15 for guests) which was empty but we weren't able to check in until 2pm. The car park is quite difficult to get into as it is down some very steep/narrow ramps but be careful and it'll be fine. They took a debit/credit card for security reasons when we arrived and took the room amount plus an extra £30 which we were told would be refunded but still waiting for that. Service was pretty slow from the one man we met and he wasn't very friendly but wasn't rude so that was ok.

We didn't end up coming back until 8pm and managed to check in fine, stayed in a deluxe twin room which was smaller than pictures suggest but still lovely. Air con was so difficult to figure out so the room was quite warm but not unbearable. We got absolutely no signal on our iPhones in the room, the wifi was difficult to connect to and even when it was connected it was very weak and went on and off. The reviews are right with regards to the badly designed bath/shower, you do have to get in to turn it on but it's not the end of the world and lovely once you're in. The hotel does smell a bit of chlorine but again, not the end of the world.

We would definitely consider staying there again if it was a good price due to the convenient location.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank 16lucyrose

Dearlucyrose,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review and to go into such detail as it really is through constructive feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain our high standards.

I am sorry you had difficulties with some of the technical features in your room - we are always happy to help explain things like air condition - but so pleased to read that on the whole you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be well placed for your visit.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in early July for the Hyde Park Festival.

Overall lovely, price was good, staff were mostly friendly and welcoming, but I do have a few negatives to make

1. The area. Nothing can be done about this, and we knew it before going, but it really isn't all that welcoming. Not bad during the day and with the light nights in the summer, but wouldn't dream of walking around at night or in the dark. Also the tube station, Killburn, had no taxi rank to speak of, so getting back to the hotel meant going into an illegal taxi cab firm round the corner. Again, its my own fault for not pre-booking a taxi, so not a negative on the hotel as such, but worth making a note of.

2. The walk from the tube to the hotel is often described as being 10 minutes, but in reality its more like 25-30 minutes. My wife and I are fit and healthy, but you can't argue that it takes longer to walk there than its stated on the website.

3. My biggest bugbear by a country mile was that our room was right next to the pool. By which I mean, if we opened the curtains, we could see in the pool. It literally backed onto it - not sure this is wise if you've young children swimming? I certainly wouldn't be too happy to let me kids swim in a pool with 3-4 windows literally looking right in. As a result, the curtains were closed for the whole of our stay.

See the photos I've added. One shows the windows of the rooms, the other is the view from my room...

4. The pool again, as opening times of the pool were 7am-10pm, we were woken instantly at 7am by the sound of screaming children playing in the pool. Not nice, and I can't understand who thought it was a good idea to have rooms below ground level, backing into a pool that opens at 7am? Problem largely solved by buying some ear plugs though, but it was very frustrating none the less.

5. The pool a third time. The entire floor stank of chlorine, as did our room.

6. I was made to hand over about 100 pound as a deposit when checking in, they also charged the card again when I left for the same amount? Not sure what the deal is with that, but a week after leaving my bank balance was settled so nothing untoward going on, just would have liked to know, especially when travelling on a budget.

7. The network cable in my room didn't work, which meant that I couldn't use internet properly (the wifi of my laptop is a bit hit and miss). I mentioned this to the reception staff who got the manager (A gentlemen by the name of Zoltan?). Very rude, he asked 'don't you have wifi'?. Yes, I do, but thats not the point. The point is the supplied network cable doesn't work. He told us to go to the room and he would be along in a minute. 45 minutes later a knock at the door. No smiles, no apology, I was made to feel I'd interrupted his night. Customer service would have gone a long way, I was certainly very polite to them, I expected it back.

So, all told the grounds of the hotel were nice, but it seems when booking you've the option of being underground on a floor stinking of chlorine, with a window looking directly into a pool, or being higher up, which judging by other reviews means constant traffic noise.

It's definitely worth it for a one night stay for a concert or event, but small things start to grate the longer you're there.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ian D
Chiswick_Moran, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2014

Dear Ian D,

Thank you for your detailed and very balanced review.

While I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, I am naturally sorry that a few things that you feel could have been better so thank you for bringing them to my attention.

While some guests enjoy the quiet that the rooms to the back of the hotel provide, we will always do our best to meet any requests and would have happily moved you to another rooms had you wished.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We went to London last month and booked this hotel like 2 months ahead of time. This is the cheapest one we have found since most of the hotels in the city cost around €300/night. The hotel is an hour train ride from the airport but only 1 train ride to the city. There is a bus stop located right outside of the hotel going to the Kilburn station which takes 5mins. and 20-30mins by feet. This is the main thing why we booked this hotel. A lot of restaurants nearby as well and grocery store if you need some things.

Staff: Checkin in was fast, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We got there at 11am and they let us checked in right away since we were exhausted from our flight.

Rooms: We were at the 5th floor and got the deluxe room. Nothing fancy but the bathroom was very nice. I think it was newly renovated. Everything was clean except the AC didn't work very well. We stayed here for 3 nights and it was summer so it was very hot! We slept good but we were sweating when we woke up in the morning. I opened the window the first night but still didn't help at all! We didn't ask to change our room because we have 5 luggages with us and didn't really want to pack/unpack all our stuff.

Breakfast: We paid €10/person per day. There's a lot of variety and you can also chose ala carte breakfast meal. I didn't like the English bacon and egg. It was a lot different than American way. Bacon is not fried at all (YUCK) and I asked for a fried hard egg but it was sunny side up. Since it was free I didn't feel bad not eating it, so I went to the buffet breakfast which a lot better.

Overall we do recommend this hotel. Just make sure that your AC works fine.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Charms F

Dear Charms F,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that you experienced issues with your air conditioning. I can understand you not wanting to move rooms, however had you mentioned it to us we would have had our maintenance team investigate while you were out for the day.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the rest of the hotel and especially that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Room was clean, bed comfy, but please, if you stay here you need to ask for a room away from the main road! A bus stop was right outside our window, the traffic noise all night was unbearable, I got to sleep about 5am & was woken at 7am - so much for a restful break! We asked for hotel dining only to be told they don't serve dinner on a Sunday. We were showed to the pub next door, Not knowing to us the room above the pub is actually the hotels restaurant. I wish we had been told that by the staff. My husband was spitting feathers - charging full price for half the service! I did have breakfast & it was nice but I wish the dinner arrangements had been explained better.

Room Tip: Do not have a ground floor room & the further away from the main road the better!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dawn F
Chiswick_Moran, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

Dear Dawn F,

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy a good nights sleep. We are well aware that some of our guests are accustomed to the bustle of a big city where as others are lucky enough to live in rural tranquility and where possible will always try to accommodate their preferences should we be made aware of them. Surprisingly enough we have as many guests requesting to be on the street side as away from it and I only recently spoke with a gentleman from a large US city who found it difficult to sleep when it was too quiet.

I should point out that all of our rooms are double glazed and that the road outside the hotel is only one lane of traffic in each direction, however do appreciate that a city the size of London will never be a complete oasis and am sorry that you did not sleep well.

As the Sunday roasts that we serve in our Crown Bars are so popular we find that the vast majority of our guests dine in there and for this reason do not open our restaurant for dinner Sunday evenings. The restaurant is above our pub, but was closed being a Sunday. These opening times are posted in the bedrooms, at reception, in our elevators, and as you were correctly informed know to our reception staff.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, but thank you sincerely for your review.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here in early June and although we knew the location wouldn't be the best we were quite amazed how rough the area was and especially how difficult was to get to the hotel car park. For starters it didn't help there were some road works in the area but still couldn't believe how difficult the hotel has made it for those that want to come by car. There is no signs to guide you, we had to go twice round the block and had to telephone reception to get directions to the car park. When we worked out how to get there, there were buses and taxis blocking the entrance as it is just off main road it was a bit of mayhem and absolutely no staff to be seen to assist or organise the access. Well, in the end we made it, although with a bit of care it could have been much easier. The building itself is fantastic, rooms were OK as advertised the only thing there were no slippers which I found a bit strange and uncomfortable. We had dinner which was dissapointing but breakfast was lot better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Albtrekker1974

Dear abas1974,

I apologise for the troubles you had both in finding our car park and with the traffic outside the hotel. Unfortunately the local council decided to conduct some roadwork directly outside the hotel, over which we had neither control or warning of timings and I can only be grateful that it is now complete.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Crown Moran looks great, considering the very run down area it is located in, the room was nice ( although we booked a deluxe triple so I expected 3 beds not 2) but not as deluxe as I would have liked, the staff need to learn to communicate, smile and be customer focused as they are seriously lacking in all skill sets, the pool was closed for maintenance which no one mentioned at check in, we had only booked this hotel for the pool! Breakfast was lovely food, but again poor staff skills in dealing with guests!
Fire alarm went off at 5:10 am and again at 5:20 but no apology at check out until we brought it up! I was very surprised to have to pay up front and not at check in, but now realise that it's because I should have had a rate reduction for lack of leisure facilities and trained to 4* level staff, I have been a Mystery Shopper for many years, this hotel would have failed a professional visit from me & I shan't be booking again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear JanusW67,

Thank you for rating us three stars for which by the sound of your review you were very generous to us.

Without knowing how you booked us, I can only say that our own website and all the major online booking sites all clearly explain that our family rooms contain one double and one single bed.

I am saddened and surprised that you had issue with our staff as this is clearly not typical of the feedback we receive as can be seen in so many of the other reviews here.

My apologies that the pool was closed on short notice due to a sudden maintenance issue.

Thank you again for your review.