“Scarey location”

Clayton Crown Hotel
Ranked #416 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 December 2008

The reviews of the hotel were fabulous, the pub, restaurant, etc. in several travel guides and various travel websites gave the hotel 4.5 or better out of 5, so we booked the hotel. If we had stayed in the hotel and did not leave it we would have agreed, but it was quite a disappointment. The hotel web site stated a short cab ride from the airport - the ride was over fifty pounds, we mentioned this at the desk and were told they did not know when and where the construction would be taking place. We heard this same answer being given several times that week. The location was horrible, as a woman I did not feel safe walking outside the hotel on my own. When we asked were the tube was the front desk said that it was just down the block to the left, they neglected to mention it was over 2 miles and the area was shady at best. We later found the bus and for the rest of our stay took the bus to the tube. Having stayed in London many times we were looking forward to showing our son (14) a great time, including going out in the evenings, but after the first night we did not travel at night and tried to be back at the hotel by 9 pm. The taxi rides were too expensive and the area did not make us look forward to taking the bus. Move the hotel anywhere else in London it would be fine, but beware the location.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank CelticGal40
Michael R, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

There are newer reviews for Clayton Crown Hotel

Reviewed 8 December 2008

I loved this hotel, we stayed there for our first anniversary, Early December, '08.

Everything was perfect with two set backs.

1. The hotel only has 10 irons for the whole hotel.
So you have to call reception and they go find where it is. A four star hotel with only 10 irons... hmmm. They offered to send our clothes to be pressed complimentary but it was going to take half an hour to an hour. When the guy at the reception desk couldn't locate a free iron he apologised and asked if there was anything else he could do. I replied 'yeah, could someone go to Argos and buy an iron' to which he replied 'Sure, it'll be about 10 minutes'. Unfortunately me and my husband had been delayed long enough and couldn't wait for it to arrive... but it's good to know they we're willing to go the extra mile.

2. Parking
It cost £20 to park the car in the hotel overnight or £2 per hour according to the sign. We parked there for less than an hour and then went out on the night and on our return parked in the residential area which had very limited parking and is only available from 10pm till 9am. When we checked out of the hotel we didn't have to pay anything. So either they forgot to charge us or they start charging after an hour or they don't want to encourage parking in the hotel as they have very limited parking space available. Oh and once in the car parking grounds you have to go through the escape stairs to enter the hotel... which we found a bit weird.

But on a whole it was a great experience. The breakfast was very filling and the staff were very attentive and asking if everything was ok or if we needed anything. Didn't dine or get to use the leisure facilities (but from other reviews those seem great) due to time constraints but will definitely be booking another stay in the hotel in the near future to truly experience everything it has to offer.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PlanetMars08

Reviewed 20 November 2008

We recently travelled from Ireland to London for the NFL Match at Wembley Stadium. Our party consisted of 2 adults and 2 children. The Crown Moran Hotel was in a very convenient location, with ready access to all public transport services (tube and buses). I personally found the hotel staff to be extremely helpful, courteous and efficient, right from my initial contact with the hotel. They arranged cost effective transportation for us for our journeys to and from Luton Airport to the hotel.

The hotel staff from reception to the bars and restaurant are all to be commended. We stayed in very comfortable twin adjoining rooms, which were excellent value for money and more importantly were tasteful and absolutely spotless. The bathrooms were very modern and again spotless. Food and food service were both of a high standard, and the Irish Breakfast (which was included in our rate) was top quality. Unfortunately we didn't get to use the excellent looking leisure amenities.

All in all the Crown Moran Hotel is a hidden jewel in North London, and added significantly to the enjoyment of our trip.

If you are looking for extraordinary service, comforts and facilities at ordinary (ie very affordable prices) then I suggest that you look no further.....I certainly won't ....and will definitely use the hotel again, when in London.

Highly highly recommended ....

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank DundalkAccountant

Reviewed 31 October 2008

I stayed in this hotel for a few days and was well impressed with it. The decor of the hotel is amazing and the rooms are very spacious. The swimming pool was almost like a private pool. We ate in the restaraunt two nights and the food was excellent. I cannot reccomend this hotel highly enough. The breakfasts were fantastic, full irish breakfast as well as a choice of cereal, juices etc. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is also in a great location to get into london city as the bus stops right outside the door and kilburn tube station is only about 4 bus stops away. I would definitely stay in this hotel again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank champkis

Reviewed 23 August 2008

After looking at hundreds of London hotels I picked this as the price was reasonable and the pictures of it on the website looked great. Its in Cricklewood which is about 7 minutes from Central London on the tube. There's a bus stop right outside the hotel that goes to the nearest tube stop in Kilburn in 2-3 mins or the walk takes about 20 mins. We flew into Stansted which is over a half hour outside the city centre so with a lot of help from the receptionist, the hotel sent a car for us which was only slightly dearer than buses/trains, 4 of us travelled so it was very handy.

Check in was quick. We arrived at 8am and they let us check in to one room at that time because it was ready. The room was beautiful, very very clean and nicely decorated. We headed into Madame Toussauds then, I highly reccommend this, queus are long but its well worth it. The first night we stayed there was a wedding in the hotel, we stayed on the ground floor and couldn't hear any noise from it, very impressed by that. Got breakfast in the room the following morning, couldn't fault that either, everything was freshly cooked and piping hot. The swimming area was lovely too, not many hotels in London with a pool and if it has one you'll pay a lot extra.

I'll definatly stay here whenever I visit London again and would reccommend anyone to stay here. There are several bars in the premises, for those interested in night clubs we didn't go out in the city centre so I don't know how hard it would be or how long it would take to get back to the hotel afterwards. I'm sure reception would help you out if you contacted them tho.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Japsmurf

Reviewed 21 July 2008

I stayed here in July 2008 and had a really enjoyable stay there. The interior of the hotel is amazing, the bedrooms are quite large with a lovely bathroom and the beds were really comfy. We ate in the King Sitric on our first evening and had a lovely meal. There are several options at breakfast time, the full Irish is highly recommended. The hotel is not right next door to a tube station but you can get several buses right outside the hotel which will take you to Kilburn station in 5 mins and then it's only a 20 minute trip into Bond Street. There are bars adjoining the hotel which were pretty lively and good fun at the weekend. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank MariaBermuda

Reviewed 21 July 2008

I was a bit nervous about going to this hotel because of its location- usually I stay in West london- but the reviews persuaded us to give it a try and I'm so glad I did.
We had a fabulous room- very spacious and lovely-
(We had an executive room which is bigger than a double and worth the extra money)
I'm a light sleeper so asked for a quiet room if possible and we were put at the side of the hotel- I was surprised that although we weren't that far from the main road -the noise did not come through to the room windows and we had a nice view over a side street. I slept very well in this hotel and that's a real rarity for me.
The only thing that wasn't fabulous was the pillows which were not too soft- but I still got a great night's sleep.
The decor is good- most things look very new and the fact that the bankets were not brand spanking new didn't bother me- as everything was spotlessly clean.

The staff were wonderful and very helpful
The breakfast was absolutely great and perfectly cooked- I went fairly late so it wasn't too busy but I couldn't fault a thing.
My room service dinner steak wasn't so great-but I imagine snacks would be fine.
The pool is lovely and clean and seldom used so it feels like a private pool.
Shower pressure was fab- although one night -around 1am we could only get warm water out of the bathroom tap- but it was amusing rather than a problem- we knew if we contacted house keeping they'd be up straight away and we'd already brushed our teeth and got bottled water - so it was fine. When we woke up in the morning it was all normal.
We had no fridge in our room - but it wasn't a problem. We were out most of the time and ate out every night.

The walk to the tube is 10mins -but then you're into Bond Street in 7 mins and right in the centre of everything -
for those with a bad knee like me - a bus right outside the door of the hotel takes you to Kilburn tube station- if you buy a travel card you can used this on the bus as well-
I just can't say enough good things about this hotel. Loved it -loved it.
One things that coud be nice is if they had a tapas menu- and a bigger sitting areas for the restaurant bar -as the crown pub was a little bit rough for my taste- but nothing to put me off staying at this hotel again.
What a bonus to get parking for £10 a night as well.
If it had all the extras it would put its prices up and its such a find that I would rather have things as they are- which makes this hote affordable luxury.

There is a lovely little bakery and bagel shop opposite the hotel and we had a great lunch in there one day for £6 for 2 people - just sandwiches and pizza slices wiht tea- but how good is that in London?
I managed to walk back from the tube one day and had no problems or concerns. There are loads of cheap food places nearby- and a great sheesha cafe if you like apple tobacco 5 mins from the hotel towards the tube.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business