“Very unpleasant in every way!”

Clayton Crown Hotel
Ranked #423 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 April 2009

Firstly, I simply cannot understand the high marks this hotel has got from reviewers. I found staying in this hotel a horrendous experience! Every aspect of it fell far short of expectations. I was booked into the hotel by my company on two seperate nights, 29th and then 31st March as I had meetings near by early the next morning. The first stay was bearable although the room was small and fairly basic - a double no-smoker had been booked. Deciding to go for a swim, I was dismayed to discover that the jacuzzi was broken and you needed to inform them 45 minutes in advance if you needed a sauna - why didn't they mention this on check-in which surely would have been simple enough! No-one was around and to be honest it was disgraceful that staff were not on duty in case of an accident in the pool. The tiles around the pool were too slippy and you could easily fall. HOWEVER, it was the 2nd night that the service just fell apart!

I had been specifically booked again a non-smoking double and knowing I would not be checking in until late, someone called the hotel to inform them that I was on route. When I arrived at 10 pm I was allocated a room. When I got there I discovered it was a 'smoking' room - you could smell the stale air as you got out of the lift on this particular floor. When I returned to Reception and told them that a non-smoking double had been booked I just got a blank stare fromt the female receptionist who told me that all the non-smoking rooms had gone! I was suffering from a fairly heavy cold which was very evident and told the girl that I simply could not sleep in a room that stank of cigarette smoke and all I got was a shrug! A fellow guest was checking in too and he had been allocated a room for disabled people (he was able-bodied) and offered to change with me. As no other option was open to me I had to take this. The room was horrific and I had to sleep in a small single bed which I haven't done since childhood! The bed was so uncomfortable I hardly slept and the best bit of the whole experience was getting out of the hotel first thing in the morning and knowing that I would never come back! Due to the comments I had written on a form in the room, I had a call from the Duty Manager that day who offered me a free night's stay - I still have not received confirmation of this over a week later. By the way, I would not use it. I would need to be paid hundreds of pounds to stay there again. There are much nicer hotels in much better areas close by - GO THERE!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
6  Thank Caroline034
Michael R, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Reviewed 18 March 2009

After spending 4 days in London with 2 young children we found this hotel great value with excellent service, great space, child friendly and good food. It was ideal for touring london and enjoying a quiet relaxing few nights away. The Hotel Taxi service is great and well worth reserving to collect and drop your party to the airport especially with children or if you are unsure on train/tube services. Lovely buffet selection for breakfast as well as a great choice in a cooked breakfast. The staff were efficient and polite and gave excellent service.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank familytravellerkerry

Reviewed 13 March 2009

We stayed at the Crown Moran to give us a fast & easy journey onto M1. We found it easily, had no problem parking and the lift took us directly up to reception. The room was clean, modern & well laid out, only an up to date TV was missing.
Cricklewood is not the culinary centre of London & we ate in the Crown. On entering we found it warm & comfortable. My husband was delighted to see Landlord on draft and even happier when the barman managed to pull it with a bit of a head. Food was not fabulous, we found it a bit stoggy & some came straight from the freezer. The burger was a good option, very tasty. Staff were very pleasant and we would be happy to go back.
We had a very comfortable night & our room was not noisy. Breakfast next day was plentiful & good with the hot food cooked to order. The bill was very reasonable and as we ate in the hotel our parking was free. We were on the M1 within a few minutes & on our way.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Crudots

Reviewed 25 February 2009

I loveee the breakfast, the rooms, the bar and the building by itself.

It was a little far from subway AND we arrived sooo late in London, I cannot remember the name of the airport (small one) so the only way to go to our hotel was by taxi.

200 lbs for the ride.

:S

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank Punkshillo

Reviewed 6 January 2009

This hotel is ok. The rooms are spacious and clean, bathrooms are indeed 4stars. It offers a very nice indoor swimming pool and plenty of relaxing areas with a good selection of background music. Staying at this hotel you can enjoy very modern facilities and a traditional pub. The location is a bit far from the closest tube station (about 1.5 km) but the area is safe and there's a 24h bus service (n.189) just in front of the entrance, that connects the hotel to the tube and to oxford circus. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank fabmc

Reviewed 12 December 2008

The reviews of the hotel were fabulous, the pub, restaurant, etc. in several travel guides and various travel websites gave the hotel 4.5 or better out of 5, so we booked the hotel. If we had stayed in the hotel and did not leave it we would have agreed, but it was quite a disappointment. The hotel web site stated a short cab ride from the airport - the ride was over fifty pounds, we mentioned this at the desk and were told they did not know when and where the construction would be taking place. We heard this same answer being given several times that week. The location was horrible, as a woman I did not feel safe walking outside the hotel on my own. When we asked were the tube was the front desk said that it was just down the block to the left, they neglected to mention it was over 2 miles and the area was shady at best. We later found the bus and for the rest of our stay took the bus to the tube. Having stayed in London many times we were looking forward to showing our son (14) a great time, including going out in the evenings, but after the first night we did not travel at night and tried to be back at the hotel by 9 pm. The taxi rides were too expensive and the area did not make us look forward to taking the bus. Move the hotel anywhere else in London it would be fine, but beware the location.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank CelticGal40

Reviewed 8 December 2008

I loved this hotel, we stayed there for our first anniversary, Early December, '08.

Everything was perfect with two set backs.

1. The hotel only has 10 irons for the whole hotel.
So you have to call reception and they go find where it is. A four star hotel with only 10 irons... hmmm. They offered to send our clothes to be pressed complimentary but it was going to take half an hour to an hour. When the guy at the reception desk couldn't locate a free iron he apologised and asked if there was anything else he could do. I replied 'yeah, could someone go to Argos and buy an iron' to which he replied 'Sure, it'll be about 10 minutes'. Unfortunately me and my husband had been delayed long enough and couldn't wait for it to arrive... but it's good to know they we're willing to go the extra mile.

2. Parking
It cost £20 to park the car in the hotel overnight or £2 per hour according to the sign. We parked there for less than an hour and then went out on the night and on our return parked in the residential area which had very limited parking and is only available from 10pm till 9am. When we checked out of the hotel we didn't have to pay anything. So either they forgot to charge us or they start charging after an hour or they don't want to encourage parking in the hotel as they have very limited parking space available. Oh and once in the car parking grounds you have to go through the escape stairs to enter the hotel... which we found a bit weird.

But on a whole it was a great experience. The breakfast was very filling and the staff were very attentive and asking if everything was ok or if we needed anything. Didn't dine or get to use the leisure facilities (but from other reviews those seem great) due to time constraints but will definitely be booking another stay in the hotel in the near future to truly experience everything it has to offer.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple