“Great Stay”

Clayton Crown Hotel
Ranked #449 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 July 2009

I took my 15 year old daughter to London, and prior to going, we decided that we would stay in London, as we were there for 5 days only and did not want to feel rushed. I researched different hotels, and this one had fairly consistent reviews that seemed favorable and since any hotel will tell you they are the best in their category, I depend on word of mouth. The hotel is a nice hotel, given I had my daughter, I wanted something safer and this felt safe. We came back from central London fairly late, aroud 11 pm, a few times but felt safe walking the streets, which were fairly well lit. The bus does stop in front of the hotel, which is nice and it runs 24/7, although not as frequently at night. The room itself was nice, it was clean, and had a twin bed and a double bed, which served us fine. The tv had only a few channels but we did not go there to watch TV. The staff was friendly, and accomodating. The buffet was good, and filling, which got us through breakfast and lunch. They do have a swimming pool which we did not use, and a nice gym, but we did not use it as we wanted to maximize our time in the city. One draw back is that our room lights/AC would only work if we put our room card in a special slot/card holder as you enter the room. If either one of us wanted to step out to use the free internet in the lobby, and if we took the card, all electrical devices, (lights, bathroom lights, AC, etc), would stop working. The other one would be left in the dark. No big deal, unless one of us was in the bathroom/shower when the other one wanted back in. When you check in, ask for two room cards, no extra fee involved. If you go, and decide to buy a hairdryer, look in your drawers first. we lucked out and found one that somebody was kind enough to leave behind.

As far as transportation, get the oystercard, and spend the money to take the train to Paddington station, from the airport. They have two, one is more expensive, with no stops, the other is cheaper, but stops like 4 times. We took the cheaper one and it was comfortable, and we did not mind the stops at all. I love the subway system, at no time did I miss having a car. We had a great time and as far as this hotel goes, we would stay there again. Our plan is to go to a different country each time so I think it will be a while until we make it back to London and Crown Moran but it's a great city and a hotel I will go back to.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Thank you for taking time to review the Crown Moran Hotel - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,391)

Reviewed 3 July 2009

3 of us went on a trip to London to see Take That in Wembley. We trawled the internet for nice hotels in London at a "reasonable" price and we came across the Crown Moran. Excellent hotel - clean, friendly, luxurious. Brilliant amenities - swimming pool, gym, bars... The room (slept 3) was spacious, immaculate, and had everything we needed except we booked a room for 3 but items such as glasses, mugs, towels etc were only provided for 2. This didnt ruin our stay however!!! We requested an iron that was delivered to the room at no extra charge. The only downside was we left the room at 9am, put the "please service the room" sign on the door and when we returned at 4pm the room was still not done. Breakfast was great, served not only continental but a good old fry up too - set us up for the day! The bus stop outside the hotel provided buses direct to Oxford Circus and Victoria as well as Brent Cross Shopping Centre on the opposite side. We took a bus from the hotel to Victoria at a cost of £2 per person (we did hit awful traffic on the way down though!) When going out to Wembley we booked a taxi through the hotel at a cost of £15 as there is no direct bus/tube nearby. Cricklewood Broadway offers a range of shops and places to eat and is very pleasant. All in all GREAT value for money (real bargain!) and we have already booked our next trip back minus Take That :-(

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank jen_the_star

Reviewed 28 May 2009

Right beside the tube station so easily accessible from airports. Great bus service, bus stop right outside the door, easy to get everywhere from this hotel. Rooms were spacious, clean and had everything, including complementary tea/coffee tray, sattelite tv etc. Room serivce is great! Stayed in this hotel once before and loved it. Love the design and the features of the hotel ie reception area. Great live entertainment. The breakfast was absolutely brilliant, loved the mini muffins!! Would recommend highly!

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank TravellerLimerick

Reviewed 21 May 2009

A very nice hotel and comfortable stay. Breakfasts were covered and were excellent. We found ourselves very sluggish for the day because we were surprised at how much food was available right at the start. Wi-fi is free in the lobby, but in the rooms you have to pay to use the wired internet connection. There were a couple of outlets on the second floor section of the lobby in case you were spending long amounts of time on the internet.
Staff were very helpful and friendly pointing upon check-in right through until check-out the best way to get into Zone 1/Central London.
The room itself was cosy but it did feel a little bit dated. The bedding and the television in the room didn't seem to match up to rest of the hotel in design. One of the wall tiles in the washroom was loose and could have been ripped out. Washroom overall though was clean and for the most part very functional. Found that getting out of the tub/shower was a bit steep and definitely needed to hold on something to make sure I didn't fall over.
Location was generally good, although you have to take a bus or walk from the nearest tube station. I didn't mind that much as it gave an opportunity to ride a double-decker bus. From Kilburn Park station, it's about a 10-15 min. bus ride, while from Kilburn Station, it's only a few mins and only 3-4 stops.
Would definitely consider going back there upon future trips to London.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 84paladin

Reviewed 3 May 2009

It was a really pleaseant experience, big and clean rooms, spacious bathroom. We used the swimming pool and the sauna, after a long day walking around london it was real nice. The breakfast was splendid, we can chose between the irish breakfast and the buffet, everything was just perfect. There was a bus stop just in front the hotel and in ten minutes we were in front kilburn metro. Just 20 minutes from the city center. A real good experience.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NuriaPonferrada

Reviewed 17 April 2009

This hotel is an excellent value. The hotel is beautiful, very clean. The staff are friendly and very helpful, one and all. My children enjoyed the pool, though the jacuzzi was not in operation.

The neighborhood, Cricklewood is well situated for groceries, a nice pub attached to the hotel, and a number of kebab and chicken and burger places nearby. The neighborhood isn't very good for casual dining, though Hampstead and West Hampstead are nearby. It takes about 45 minutes to get to Oxford Street.

The only annoyance is that, though they offer a fantastic breakfast, they charge for hot chocolate, which if you have children does not seem fair since they eat less from the buffet to begin with and chocolate isn't very much more expensive than coffee. The whole charge doesn't make sense.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank bratislava23

Reviewed 9 April 2009

Firstly, I simply cannot understand the high marks this hotel has got from reviewers. I found staying in this hotel a horrendous experience! Every aspect of it fell far short of expectations. I was booked into the hotel by my company on two seperate nights, 29th and then 31st March as I had meetings near by early the next morning. The first stay was bearable although the room was small and fairly basic - a double no-smoker had been booked. Deciding to go for a swim, I was dismayed to discover that the jacuzzi was broken and you needed to inform them 45 minutes in advance if you needed a sauna - why didn't they mention this on check-in which surely would have been simple enough! No-one was around and to be honest it was disgraceful that staff were not on duty in case of an accident in the pool. The tiles around the pool were too slippy and you could easily fall. HOWEVER, it was the 2nd night that the service just fell apart!

I had been specifically booked again a non-smoking double and knowing I would not be checking in until late, someone called the hotel to inform them that I was on route. When I arrived at 10 pm I was allocated a room. When I got there I discovered it was a 'smoking' room - you could smell the stale air as you got out of the lift on this particular floor. When I returned to Reception and told them that a non-smoking double had been booked I just got a blank stare fromt the female receptionist who told me that all the non-smoking rooms had gone! I was suffering from a fairly heavy cold which was very evident and told the girl that I simply could not sleep in a room that stank of cigarette smoke and all I got was a shrug! A fellow guest was checking in too and he had been allocated a room for disabled people (he was able-bodied) and offered to change with me. As no other option was open to me I had to take this. The room was horrific and I had to sleep in a small single bed which I haven't done since childhood! The bed was so uncomfortable I hardly slept and the best bit of the whole experience was getting out of the hotel first thing in the morning and knowing that I would never come back! Due to the comments I had written on a form in the room, I had a call from the Duty Manager that day who offered me a free night's stay - I still have not received confirmation of this over a week later. By the way, I would not use it. I would need to be paid hundreds of pounds to stay there again. There are much nicer hotels in much better areas close by - GO THERE!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business