1,772 results
All reviewscharterhouse squarebarbican tube stationsmithfield marketquiet squareclub roomlovely hotelst paulsbuilding workwalk in showerstandard roommini barreception staffcooked breakfastcoffee machinegreat showercomfy bedlovely room
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I have stayed in this hotel twice now and I love it. It is a very modern hotel with quirky features. Both times our rooms have been immaculate and spacious. The room views are not the best - they overlooked roof tops nearby, however, it is a great hotel for sightseeing.
The staff have always been helpful and friendly - both reception and bar/restaurant.
We ate dinner at nearby Smiths of Smithfields - which I can thoroughly recommend, and we had breakfast in the hotel. Yes it is a bit pricey but it was faultless. The hotel in itself isn't cheap, but it's a very modern chain of hotels and I am happy to spend that little extra for luxury.
The Malmaison in Manchester is also ah-may-zing!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Twelves month after our last visit, and a service experience that was below-par for Malmaison, they've upped their game. Malmaison is all about the ambience and service - "daring to be different" and the newly decorated Mal hits the mark on all fronts:

The new decor is great. The new front of house team attentive and nothing was too much trouble. Significantly better than the previous visit and up to the Mal-standard.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Neil A
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Had a 3 night stay at Malmaison London. Easy to get to, couple of minutes walk from Barbican tube station. Checked in with no issues. Allocated a refurbished room, which was small but nicely decorated with a good bed. Upgraded, with no hassle to Superior room due to an issue with the bathroom door. Superior room was alot bigger and just as well decorated. Overall very nice hotel and very friendly and attentive staff. Breakfast was good, with a different selections and well presented. Will be visiting again, when all the refurbishment is finished.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Malmaison London was bad in almost every way: filthy, poor service, inadequately furnished, and damaged infrastructure.

When I checked in earlier this week at 10:30pm, the night manager and desk agent were counting receipts at the reception desk, and did not look up to greet me or help me until I requested it. They had no record of the taxi pickup I'd requested when I'd made the reservation, for the final morning of my trip, so I'm glad I double-checked. After check-in, I made my way to Room 119. It was claustrophobically tiny, with an interior window with artificial light. An Ikea-style closet was attached to the wall. There were only four hangers for women's dresses in the closet. When I called to request hangers for men's pants, the dialogue went exactly like this:

Desk Clerk: "We don't have any."
Me: "That's impossible."
Desk Clerk: "I don't know where they are."
Me: "Can you ask someone?"
Desk Clerk: "Housekeeping have all gone home."
Me: "This is a very expensive hotel and I think you should try hard to find some."

20 minutes later, I called again to check up on her quest. 10 more minutes passed, and she arrived with a handful of more women's hangers. When I said they were not men's hangers, she said she didn't know there was a difference.

It went downhill from there. As I was unpacking, I heard a crunching sound from inside the wall. It grew louder. I honestly thought there were rats in the walls. I isolated the location: the door to access the plumbing was located inside the bedroom right next to the bed, not inside the bathroom. By this time, it sounded alternately like a crunching of waste and a steady flow of leaking water, quite loud. I went and got the night manager. He heard it, too, then departed for 10 minutes to find the access key, and when he finally was able to open the portal, there was indeed the loud steady sound of flowing water right next to the bed, but no visible leak. I asked to be moved, but he said there was nothing he could do - the hotel was fully booked "for some reason." I pressed him, and he said there was one room empty, but he could not give it to me because "it is already reserved, by a handicapped person." By now it was after midnight, but he said he could not give me the still-empty room. I went to bed but could not sleep.

The carpeting everywhere in the hotel was dirty. Yes, there is renovation going on, but it seemed as if basic vacuuming was not being done, and little pieces pf garbage (such as gum wrappers) not being picked up. The elevators are banged up and filthy. The lobby is a dusty construction site. God help you if you wanted to rest during the day - the drilling from the construction worked rattled the entire hotel.

The next afternoon, I was able to switch to another room, 212. This one was better - it had a window - but it still lacked basic furnishings. For example, neither room had a luggage rack. The room was so small you could not pass between the bed and the open closet doors. The new manager, Paola, had only been on the job for a few days. She was very nice and very professional. She said that she, too, was shocked to discover the inadequacoes of the service and the facilities, and she was moving quickly to change them. She and her day clerks were all very nice, helpful young women.

The two stars are for their attempts to help, and for the beds, which were comfortable, everything else notwithstanding. Otherwise, this was an awful hotel experience, unacceptable.

Oh, as I checked out (with the morning clerk having no record that I'd requested a refund on my first night's stay) the gentleman checking out next to me was complaining about how he'd been awakened by the construction noise, and was demanding a rebate.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 19 line - the plumbing runs right next to the bed and will keep you awake. These rooms should be retired.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 days in early October, at the end of a two week tour that had started in Budapest, so we arrived kind of road weary. However, we were able to walk all the way to the hotel from the train station where the Chunnel ends with our overnight suitcases. Ditto for being able to walk to the train station to pick up the metro link to Heathrow (which is a huge savings compared to taking a taxi) on our last day. But the hotel is just a couple of blocks away from St Pauls Cathedral where we picked up the Hop-on Hop-off bus for two days. W found our renovated room to be first rate. The king size bed was extremely comfortable and melted some of the road weariness away. The showerhead was of the rainforest design and we found it to be quite soothing. Most importantly we never had any issues with the temperature of the room or the shower water. Front desk staff were quick to answer all our sightseeing related questions and helped set us up with the metro. For those that like a pint of ale, there are several great Pubs nearby to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple