“Just perfect”

Ranked #264 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
“Just perfect”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed this weekend as part of a friend's 40th celebrations. The staff and their customer service were superb, always attentive and accommodating. The newly refurbished rooms were sumptuous and stylish with possibly the most comfortable bed I have ever stayed in! We also ate at the newly opened Stripbar restaurant - steaks and sides to die for. We'll be back very soon...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ben G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
High Wycombe
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Having been fortunate enough to stay in numerous London hotels for both business and pleasure, the Malmaison has been simply one of the best. Close enough to everything London has to offer yet somehow avoiding the hordes of tourists. The experience starts with a friendly yet efficient welcome from the reception staff. The attitude of the staff throughout the hotel was exemplary - attentive without being intrusive. The decor thoughout and in particular in the bedrooms was stunning. As for the beds - they are surely the most comfortable beds in London.
We had dinner in the new restaurant and the food was fantastic. Having recently visited the Gaucho steak resturant opposite Smithfield Market I was amazed to find this place serving better steaks (and better value to boot!). The breakfast was also very nice.

On a final note, we happened to meet the hotel manager whilst we were there. His attentive and professional manner appears to permeate throughout the staff in this hotel - quite a refreshing change for a London hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank thekop123
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here for one night and found it to be a lovely hotel, with quite possibly the most friendly receptionist ever.

The location is a bit out of the way so not idea for Xmas shopping etc., but it is very quiet at weekends.

The room itself was lovely, with an amazing bathroom and huge, comfy bed. The decor wasn't to my personal taste but it wasn't hideous.

I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Great room and close location to Barbican tube. The decor was nicely done but I can't begin to understand why everyone that works here is so unbelievably grumpy!! When we checked in, the man at the desk clearly couldn't be bothered and was more interested in speaking to his female colleague. We didn't even get told what time breakfast was. At breakfast the next morning, everything was cold. We had to send the hot chocolates back twice and when our omelette came out also cold, we were told 'it can't be as it's only just been cooked'. I could assure you it was luke warm and again the customer service standards were far below acceptable. The couple next to us were also complaining of their food being average. I am a big fan of this hotel chain and just a little disappointed as every other city has wowed me with their excellent service and high standards.

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We have stayed at this boutique hotel and others in the chain,several times over the years. Tucked away on the edge of Smithfield it is stylish, trendy and convenient -ish. Finding the entrance is currently a challenge particularly if arriving by car as CrossRail seems to taken over most of the Smithfield area. However once in the square you can park easily albeit the parking charge is steep if parking during the day. The construction work doesn't impinge on the hotel and there is no noise issue. Our room 217 was spacious and with plenty of windows was very light I think the room had had a recent make over with a wet room/bathroom and all the stuff expected from a hotel of this standard. A Hugh selection of crisps, popcorn, chocolate, tea, coffee and fully stocked minibar. Free WiFi excellent.
Staff were pleasant and helpful on arrival. Later we realised the heating/aircon. Wasn't working and the room was cold. A call to reception brought prompt response and attempt to adjust heating. An offer of a room change with help with luggage was proffered. As we were on a time schedule we declined but it obviously was going to be no trouble.
After our evening out we retired to what can only be considered a sublime night in the most comfortable beds we have experienced. Fabulous.
Breakfast was included and we took it downstairs in the bar/brasserie. Continental plus full English . I must say this was disappointing. Toast was provided immediately so was cold before we got round to the full English. The sausage was not nice. The coffee was undrinkable.

Now that I'm being picky, the level of music in the reception and lounge was too loud and strident if you wanted to relax. Sign I'm getting old I think. Same for breakfast. I suspect The Malmaison is now a bit too trendy for us.

Room Tip: If you prefer a bath you pay more
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I can skip some detail because the previous review covers alot of what I experienced in a recent two night stay. The location 2 minutes from Barbican was perfect for both our main connections in and out of Euston, and made it incredibly easy to get around some of the sights bearing in mind we had a pushchair and a 6 yr old in tow.
The staff were incredibly helpful and all our requests were accomodated with ease such as the travel cot for the room and a high chair at breakfast. The only dissapointment was one aspect of a room service meal received. The ceaser wrap is an abomination and should either be reworked or just taken off the menu. It was a dry tortilla containing chicken, whole anchovy and lettuce and was quite frankly inedible but I had a go as it was late and paid for. The olives and burger was very tasty however. I cannot really comment on the value aspect as I did not personally foot the bill but having seen the website rates do vary and there seem to be some good weekend deals on.

• Stayed November 2013
sheffield
Reviewed 10 November 2013

An old property, set back from the main road - with rooms recently refurbished offered a good base for the Barbican, Smithfield Markets, and beyond (the Barbican tube stop is only a few minutes away).

Upgrade work for the Crossrail project was continuing in the front of the hotel, but did not interfere with my stay. The room I was allocated (booked last minute) had been refurbished (with one of the largest televisions I've seen!) since my last stay. It was spotless, and quiet, with a good sized shower room. Some nice touches in the room with fabrics and furniture - and free wifi too.

Room prices seem to vary considerably - I try and check availability for most of my London visits, and when the budget allows, I look forward to the stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business