“Vanentines surprise weekend”

Ranked #265 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Vanentines surprise weekend”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I was taken here for a surprise weekend for Valentine’s day back in 2013. The hotel is really cool, funky, and serene at the same time. Our room was completely covered in white muslin, a really romantic feel. Complete with chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. We stay here for 1 night. The staff were helpful and the Breakfast was delicious! Location wide it's so close to St. Pauls and the barbican, and with the central line at St Pauls, really easy to get into central London. Bars, pubs etc. around this area seems to be shut over the weekend, I guess this area is mainly surrounded by people who work there in the City, so the weekend is quiet, we found it hard to find a bar to kill some time. Saying that, the hotel is fab. About a year after we went for dinner in the restaurant and it was lovely (we used a taste card - unsure if the restaurant is still listed on there).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Paola C, Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for your review following your 2013 Valentines weekend with us. Last summer we went through a complete hotel refurbishment so I do hope you will find another opportunity to come back and stay with us to try the new London Mal.
Best Wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Beckenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed just one night. Reception staff allowed us to check in earlier than usual check in time. This was great news for us as we were attending our daughters wedding nearby and needed to check in earlier if possible. Basic hotel with everything you need for a comfortable night. Excellent staff. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lesley,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit with us, and we're delighted that you would recommend the hotel. We do hope your daughter had a fabulous wedding and we will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed at the Malmaison London for two nights over the weekend. I requested a quite room at the time of booking as my Husband and I are light sleepers........ (if you can get a quite room in the center on London!) But it seems you can.
At the check in desk we were assured the room was the quietest in the hotel, and it certainly was! The room we stayed in (number 317) was fantastic. We had a huge bed, coffee machine with unlimited free pods, two seating areas, five windows which made the room seem very spacious and light, plus and a superb huge bathroom.
As an interior Designer I always appreciate a well decorated room and this was simply fantastic in every way, I really couldn't pick fault with a single thing inside the room, or with the hotel in general.
The Breakfast was included in our stay (continental) which included the usual fruit, fresh baked croissants, fresh juices, yoghurts and plenty more items to choose from. but for and extra £5.00 you can have anything off the hot menu. I went for the Eggs Benedict with salmon and it was-again-faultless.
Service was fantastic, the tube stop was literally round the corner and the cobbled street which the hotel sits on is rather pretty for the center of London. A real Gem.......
We've never stayed at a Malmaison hotel before, but we shall defiantly be looking out for them in future, the brand is quiet quirky and modern but with all the creature comforts and more.
faultless stay (and that never happens, does it!!?)

Room Tip: we stayed in room 317, it was spacious, and felt more like a suite due to it being on the corner of...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Paola C, Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for your detailed review following your stay with us. We're so pleased that you enjoyed every element of your stay with us. As all of the rooms are individually designed you will need to come and try another :-)
cheshire
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Love the style of Malmaison Hotels, arrived Saturday midday to a quiet and pieceful Garden Square, Parking is pay and display on the doorstep of the hotel. Polite welcome and upgrade to suit free of charge. Lovely quiet location within easy reach of tube and London Centre.We had evenking meal at the Hotel which was excellent.Rooms very comfortable.When we go back to London will be staying here again and would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Paola C, Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for your lovely and positive review of your stay at Malmaison, we hope to welcome you back soon.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed here on Sunday evening for a friends birthday. I booked the room using my credit card three weeks prior. When I arrived they wanted me to do this again - unfortunately I didn't have the same card so I used my debit card.

The stay itself was lovely. There was complimentary birthday cake in the room which was very thoughtful and the staff were fab - particularly Darpur at the bar.

I was a little dismayed to find three pieces of '40' silver confetti in the bed later in the evening - I did have to wonder whether the sheets were clean.

Checking out was easy and I decided to pay by cash.

Then I got home and realised that Malmaison were still holding £100 on my credit card AND £100 on my debit card. A simple mistake I thought - so I called them. I was informed that these funds would be back in my accounts in 3-5 working days!!! I was categorically NOT told this when I checked in or booked. This has caused problems which will cost me money so the room has ended up being much more than I bargained for.

Overall - the confetti in the bed, and being charged THREE times aside, the hotel is wonderful, and the staff make for an enjoyable experience. I wish I could have a given 5 stars but feel others who want to stay should be aware of the debit and credit charges - although Malmaison should be telling them not me!

Still haven't has the funds refunded - wonder if they'll give me the interest they've earned too? Is this a case of gross profiteering?!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Paola C, Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Sam,
Thank you for your hotel review. For yourself and possible future guests we would like to clarify a few points: you were booked on a friends & family rate of £99 and we offered you a complimentary upgrade to one of our two suites because it was such a special occasion. The suite would usually sell at over £500 per night and because they feature a fully stocked bar we take a pre-authorisation that takes these extras into account. Your reservation was paid with a different card than the one used on check in.
It is common practice in hotels all over the world to pre-authorise for extras. We do apologise if it was not highlighted on check-out that as you were paying with a different card that the amount on the other card would take up to 5 days to be released (depending on each individual bank).
With regards to the confetti, we can assure you that the bed linen is changed on a daily basis. Should you ever find yourself in a situation where you are not happy, please do let us know when you are in-house and we can rectify it so that you can continue to enjoy your stay.
Yours Sincerely
Solihull, Warwickshire
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in this hotel several times, prior to attending events in the City and find it excellent.
The rooms are more than adequate with comfortable beds. We think the reception staff are very helpful, calling taxis and generally knowledgable. The breakfasts are fantastic with great choice and an excellent eggs benedict. The continental side is packed with good bread, preserves,pastries, yoghurt and cold meats and cheeses.
We introduced four friends last May and will be bringing two friends this May. Set in an historic area, close to Spitalfields and many other very interesting things to see and enjoy.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Janie,
thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review of your stay at Malmaison. We're delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you and your guests back in May.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Checked in on Friday to lovely recently refurbed hotel. Receptionists were lovely. After a nice day out with friends, we came back for a few drinks. What a nice surprise it was to see Darpan still working here. He has excellent cocktail knowledge and provided a warm and friendly welcome. Very happy! The room was amazing as was all the food - massive thank you to the chefs. Will be back soon!

• Stayed March 2014
Paola C, Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Wiziy,
Thank you for your delightful review following your recent stay with us. Your thanks have been passed around the team and we will look forward to welcoming you back to Mal London soon.