“expensive for what is on offer” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ibis London Excel Docklands
Ranked #452 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“expensive for what is on offer”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed here for one night visiting an exhibition at the Excel - it has got to be one of the most basic rooms i have ever stayed in and makes the Premier Lodge look like a five star establishment. Despite that the bed was pretty comfortable and the location for the Excel couldn't be closer. Plenty of restaurants and places to eat and drink very close by means you don't need to stay in the hotel which is no bad thing. Breakfast was a help yourself affair and a reasonable selection of food was available. For half the price it might have been ok but for £200+ for one night was extortionate to say the least,,,

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ibisexcel, General Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear David,
Thank you for choosing the ibis London ExCeL-Docklands during your recent event at ExCeL and for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the ibis beds, the breakfast buffet and that the location was suitable for your attendance at the event at ExCeL.

We find our pricing structure very competitive for the hotels available on site and in the vicinity of ExCeL however I have taken note of your comments for reference.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards, Brian Opauka

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ipswich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night after a concert at O2 , location for O2 is ideal with emitrates cable car only 5 minutes down the road and excel custom house DLR underground 5 minutes away
Check inn was fast and efficient there were 6 of us in 3 twin rooms rooms on 5 th floor all next to each other rooms are not big but as we were only there to sleep the night this didn't bother us but I suppose if you are staying longer there is now where to store cases etc. room was very clean with kettle and tea/ coffee facilities. I like the bathrooms not big but showers very good powerful and hot.
Had breakfast which was very nice choice of cereals, yogurts, breads,and cooked breakfast
I would definitely stay here again for a concert at O2 as very reasonable price if booked early

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank iloveholidays1703
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for the 5 stars! I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the ibis room product and our buffet breakfast.
Feedback is important to us and I am pleased that the staff looked after you during your stay.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
The Woodlands, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

This is the smallest rooms that I have ever seen in a hotel along with the smallest bathrooms that I have EVER seen period! I am a small female & I had problems maneuvering in this place. The bed had a 2 inch foam mattress on it & needless to say was extremely uncomfortable. There was absolutely no place at the foot of the bed to walk or place your luggage. The staff did the best that they could & the service was good. However, the accommodations were horrible. I would not recommend to anyone.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Diane B
Dear Diane,

It is with regret that the ibis product did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies.

On a more positive note, I am pleased to read that the staff looked after you.

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. Kind regards, Brian Opauka
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Uncomfortable rooms and small pokey bathrooms (that resembled airoplane toilets) with no room to move. TV channels didn't work except BBC1. Noise throughout the whole night, walls extremely thin. Upon complaining on checkout reception said they would review and get back to us.. the next day the receptionist that contacted us was beyond rude. Called us liars about the noise and continually spoke over us. Disgusting customer service.. would never stay at another Ibis

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Pembroke Dock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed at here on a Tuesday night after a concert at the O2 arena and I was very happy with my stay.
The room and en-suite it was spotlessly clean, the bed was very comfortable. We had a room with a view of the water which was beautiful.
The staff were very polite and helpful.
We didn't have breakfast so couldn't comment on that but there was a Tesco Extra in the same street as the hotel so we just popped in there for nibbles.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kylie B
Dear Kylie,
Thank you for choosing the ibis London ExCeL-Docklands for your recent visit to the O2.
I am pleased to read that we met your expectations and that you found the staff friendly and helpful and more importantly the cleanliness of your bedroom.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed at the docklands on Tuesday evening after attending the O2 for a concert. On booking the reviews stated it was close to the O2. It was a great location during the day as the cable cars run until 8pm. After the concert it took us an absolute age to get back. We had various stops and transfers to get to the DLR back to the docklands. We crawled into bed at 12.30-1pm to then be woken every hour on and off with noise from other guests walking along the corridor. There was no soundproofing and we could hear their conversations. At one point my companion got out of bed and opened the door to ask the guests to be quiet. It was without a doubt the worst experience I've had. I'm well travelled and stay in hotels quite often from 5 star to two star. This was my first and last stay in an Ibis. The premier inn is by far a much better chain. In the morning we went to check out and I mentioned the trouble we had to the duty manager who advised she would investigate with the night staff and call me today. I requested after 5pm as I was at work. I had a call from an unknown number around lunchtime assuming it was the hotel. I couldn't answer as I stated above I was at work and we are not able to use our telephones. I am yet to receive a response and I doubt I will. Being two young girls I doubt out complaints were taken seriously. I am extremely dissatisfied with the level of service I receive and as a regular to London and as I stated a regular hotel user I will think twice about using the Ibis chain again! I'm extremely disappointed we parted with our hard earned money to stay in such a shonky hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Bev W
Dear Bev,

Please allow me to express our apologies for the noise you encountered during your stay with us.

As a frequent traveller, I fully appreciate the fact that a sleepless night due to noise levels of other guests and bedrooms resulted in you not enjoying your stay with us for which I sincerely apologise.

It is with regret that we misunderstood the timings at which we could contact you in order to have the matter resolved to mutural satisfaction.

Please do contact me directly on H3655-GM@accor.com.

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

As usual with IBIS spotlessly clean. Bed very comfortable. Air conditioning instructions illegible, damaged by previous guest!
Floor in shower cubicle ripped!
Reastaurant menu very limited, especially in comparison with previous visit, so did not take dinner.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear John,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read your observations about the cleanliness and I have taken note of your comments about the shower and air cooling unit for follow up.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.