“Budget hotel, budget delivery”

Ibis London Excel Docklands
Ranked #468 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin
“Budget hotel, budget delivery”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Ibis delivers exactly what you expect from a budget hotel. It is very much in the cheap and cheerful category. Beds are small and the pillows are not the softest you'll ever find in a hotel. The bathroom looks as if it came out of a sea ferry but the shower is fine. Reasonable (free) Wi-FI but don't expect to make Skype calls unless you shell out for the premium service. There are two small supermarkets nearby if you want to buy water etc. Good transport arrangements as the DLR Royal Victoria station is pretty close and there's a mini-cab firm across the road. I didn't expect much and I got what I expected, so the only false note was the rather expensive breakfast at £7.95 for a buffet that was "just OK". I might have been better off going across the road for the £4.95 full English breakfast promised by a cafe...

Room Tip: All rooms get some noise from the planes taking off from London City Airport if you leave the window...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ibisexcel, General Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay at ibis London ExCeL-Docklands.
I have taken note of your comments about the complimentary WiFi we offer in our hotels and as for premium access, the current cost to upgrade is GBP 3 for 24 hours in order to stream and accessing your VPN.
We look forward to welcoming you back in one of our hotels in the near future.
Kind regards, Brian Opauka

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed here for an event at the O2. I thought it would be convenient as it's near the cable car (Emirates airlines) which goes straight to the O2. Unfortunately the cable car stops running at 9pm so was no use getting back, and while it's not far as the crow flies, there's quite a lot of water in the way and it was a £25 taxi ride back.

If you arrive via the DLR get off at custom house for the ExCel and head towards the excel and you will see the ibis and Novotel on your right down some steps (there is also a ramp). The hotel entrance is on the side away from the docks.

The room was clean, a reasonable size, functional and with plenty of sockets. The free wifi was sufficient for internet browsing and even watched a YouTube clip.

Check in was friendly but when I got back later on, my room keys had stopped working. Tip - you need to swipe the keycard to get the lift and you can tell then if your keys have stopped working. This is clearly an issue for them as a number of other reviewers have mentioned it.

When I went to get my keys reactivated, there was a guy trying to check in. He and his young family had clearly just arrived from an airport, but the hotel was saying there wasn't room for them. He had a booking reference which they acknowledged but said they were having "systems problems". I think they did find him a room at the Novotel, but seemed supremely indifferent to resolving his accomodation problem for the other 4 nights of his stay. I have to say this put me off - definitely call and confirm your booking.

The bed was firm and comfortable, but the hotel felt "noisy". The other guests were not noisy, but opening the fire doors along the corridors seems to make the whole hotel shake, which makes the shower doors clank etc. I didn't need to be up until 9 but gave up at 7am! The shower was surprisingly good and dint flood the whole floor as I had expected. Remember to take your own toiletries.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Sarah,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay with us.
Feedback is important to us in order for us to benchmark our service delivery and product. I have taken on board your comments for follow up with the team.
For the benefit of other readers, I would like to reconfirm that the DLR station for the hotel can be either Royal Victoria or Custom House.
With regards to the O2, the Jubilee Line is two minutes to Canning Town followed by 2 minutes to Royal Victoria. Last train and DLR is just after 23.30.
Once again, thank you for your comments and observations.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Booked early for a great price - staying for an event at the O2. Ideal location for O2 - just 5 minute walk to the Emirates airline - also easy to get to by DLR/tube. Rooms basic but clean, interesting "pod" bathroom. Breakfast reasonable and only around £8.45 so good value for London (but there is a cafe over the road doing breakfast for £4.95!). Staff helpful and welcoming.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mike,
Thank you for choosing the ibis London ExCeL-Docklands for your visit to the O2. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the Cable Car directly to the O2. As a frequent traveller I am very pleased to see from your comments that the staff looked after you during your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Reviewed 28 June 2014

A most unpleasant hotel experience. When we arrived at 5pm, we went up to find our room wasn't ready for us, and one of the beds was not set up. It was cramped, dark, rather depressing... A tiny window, a tv that did not work, a broken light in the bathroom . . . and despite staying here 48 hours and numerous polite requests, no one fixed the light, tv or serviced the room. We fixed the TV ourselves after much faffing about, and had to sort out our own towels the next morning.

You can't have the window open as you are directly under a flight path, and planes pass directly overhead, so low and loud as to shatter ear drums. The aircon was rather ineffective, and this being June, it got very hot and stuffy despite the aircon being cranked right up.

Rooms are teeny weeny. Got a cat? You can't swing it. Bathroom/shower is a plastic box.Hardly value for money. . .

The staff were all gormless and didn't seem to know what was going on. 'Confused' seems to sum up most of the interactions with staff, who struggled with English and didn't seem to have any training to use tills or the computer system. Even ordering a sandwich to take back to the room bewildered them, and took near half an hour to make despite the fact that the place was deserted.

The food was the cheapest, nastiest selection I have ever been presented with. £9 for some flavourless cheddar slapped between 2 slices of economy bread, served on a cold plate. Lovely!

Room service?They don't have it. You need anything, you can bloody well go get it yourself. That's IF you can find any staff who can be bothered to help.

The atmosphere beyond the font door was depressing and cheap. Though the price wasn't. Yes, I know London is expensive, but let's not make this a race to the bottom. Basically we had to book this hotel to be next to the Excel centre for an exam, and the hotel seems to know this. Guaranteed income for them, zero service or comfort for guests.

Day 2, the keycards stopped working. Couldn't get up the elevator or into the rooms. Nor could anyone else. Had to take a number at the desk for them to reactivate all the keys.

Day 2 at 9.30am, I'm in the bathroom and a staff member just waltz in! Checkout isn't until 12 noon, so I have no idea what they were doing. They didn't knock, or call the room on the phone. They just let themselves in. I hear the door click and in they bustled, nothing in their hands, not a trolley, towels or tool box. In shock I peaked out the bathroom and asked them what they wanted, and they just looked at me, said sorry and slammed the door shut. . .

We left by 10am, we were so fed up with this awful chicken-pen they call a hotel.

As for the docks, I suppose if you live in London, you might think the docks are fresh and quiet. For those of us who don't live on a plane runway and know what a tree looks like, it was sad, noisy, barren and down right ugly. If I ever have to repeat my visit to London, I will stay well away from IBIS.

Room Tip: Go look at a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Claire S
ibisexcel, General Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Claire,
Needless to mention, we are all very disappointed to read such comments in your recent review following your stay.
As your feedback with regards to service delivery and our standards does not reflect our normal feedback nor what you should expect, I would be appreciate if you could contact me directly on
H3655-GM@accor.com.
With regards, Brian Opauka
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed for a few nights after comic-con, if you are attending an event at Excel this is a great location, convenience store and cafe nearby. Rooms are quite small but that's standard ibis fare, pod bathrooms with wet room showers. Compact but nice lobby and very helpful and efficient staff. Near 2 dlr stations, 10 minutes to Stratford about 20-30 to central london, if you're on a budget commuting is a better option than hotels for the same price in central London. Clean throughout, good for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor if possible.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Laylal,
Thank you for choosing the ibis London ExCeL Docklands during your recent event at the ExCeL - I am pleased to read you enjoyed your experience with us and more importantly that the staff ensured you had a comfortable stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back for your next event at the ExCeL or the O2.
Tintagel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here with my other half as we went to a concert at The O2. Its only about 5 mins away and easily accessible by tube or cable car.
Check in was quick and efficient. The double room was very similar to the style of a travelodge room, but with a more contemporary styled bathroom. It had everything you would expect, such as tea/coffee (basic selection - no biscuits), one bath towel each and a bath mat. The shower was excellent - very hot and powerful. The bed was large and comfortable (one spare pillow each in the wardrobe). It was clean and comfortable.
Unfortunately our room had no view, and the air con wasn't working.
We had breakfast (which was extra at £8.95 per person). There was the usual choice of cereals, fruit and cooked breakfasts. It was good but not amazing. We had no complaints.
The staff were all polite and efficient.
I thought for £89.00 per night in London in June it was good value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Julie,
Thank you for choosing the ibis London ExCeL Docklands as your hotel during your recent visit to the O2 - as a frequent traveller and stay in hotels on a regular basis, I am pleased to read that the ibis product met your expectations.
I do hope you found the Cable Car a great experience arriving directly to the O2 Arena with great views of London during the crossing of 8 minutes.
More importantly, thank you for your positive feedback about the staff ensuring you had an enjoyable and hassle free experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.