“Great for London Triathlon”

Ibis London Excel Docklands
Ranked #479 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great for London Triathlon”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here with my husband for two nights whilst taking part in the London triathlon in August 2014. They are clearly well set up for competitors to stay here with an option to store bikes in your room, early breakfast from 4am and a bonus for us was we could take our dog (for a small fee). The staff were friendly and efficient, the rooms were clean and well maintained. It is only a short walk from the Excel and the O2 arena is fairly close too. There are plenty of places to eat nearby as well as bars and a grocery store. All in all a great experience.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor looking onto an inner courtyard and despite the hotel being very busy we di...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue B
ibisexcel, General Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Sue,
Thank you for choosing the ibis London ExCeL Docklands for the Triathlon - I do hope you enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed looking after our guests during this successful event.
It is always a pleasure to read that the staff ensured you had a hassle free experience and we look foward to welcoming you back next year.
Please do not hesitate to contace me directly on H3655-GM@accor.com if I can be of any assistance.
Looking forward to welcoming you and your family back next year! Kind regards, Brian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Kassel, Germany
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here with a friend for two nights. We were given a nice and clean twin room with a lovely view of Royal Victoria Dock.
This is a lovely location with the Emirates Air Line and a DLR station close by. London City Airport is close by but in the room we didn't hear any noise. There are also a few restaurants and a small supermarket.
The hotel also offered free wifi. Reception staff were friendly, but not as friendly as I know it from other Accor hotels. We also didn't receive a voucher for a free welcome drink although I'm a Le Club Accor Hotels Silver Member.

Green Features: I love the campaign to plant trees if people use their towels more than once
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Nici,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay with us.

As part of our ongoing development for our loyal customers, I am pleased to inform you that we now offer online check in which should have been communicated to you through our regular email updates - I am dissappointed to read that you did not receive your tier membership benefit on arrival.

All reservations and arrivals for our guests with loyalty cards are prepared in advance to ensure consistency including pre allocation of bedrooms. You should expect this in all Accor properties.

Please allow me to express my sincere apologies and I would be grateful if you could contact me directly by email on H3655-GM@accor.com in order to investigate the reasons.

Once again, thank you and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Liverpool
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Ibis Excel last week for two nights whilst going to concerts at the 02. Excellent budget hotel, nice rooms, everything you could need. Great location and easy to get to on DLR. Easy to get to London attractions etc also. Very near to Emirates Air Line which is fab-use your Oyster card for discounted 'flights'! Recommend this hotel, staff friendly and available.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Julie,
Thank you choosing the ibis London ExCeL-Docklands for your visit to the O2 - and thank you the 5 stars!
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, the ibis product and that the staff looked after you and ensured you had a hassle free experience.
We look forward to your next stay in the near future.
Manchester
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed in this hotel for a concert at the O2. It was clean enough and the reception staff were helpful but don't expect much from the room. The bathroom was almost like a caravans bathroom which seemed to be on a raised platform and just did not feel like it was separate from the bed area. The walls were anaglypta paper and this just added to the cheapness. BUT...This was a cheap hotel and like I said you get what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
ibisexcel, General Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Synthman,
Thank you for staying at the ibis London ExCeL-Docklands whilst going to the O2 for a concert.
I am pleased to read that the staff looked after you during your stay and I have taken note of your feedback with regards to the ibis bathroom product.
Once again, thank you and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in one of our hotels in the near future.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The hotel's location is terrible from the centre it's too far for the price we paid. If there are engineering works on the over ground, it takes a long time to get back by bus.
The room was small, dull and pretty boring, not how it was described online and in it's brochures.
The breakfast was abit like a school canteen, the good was basic and the room was stuffy.
The staff on reception were quite nice, but not overly friendly or welcoming.
It was okay for a one night stay if there's no other hotels available.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Laura,
Thank your taking the time to give us your feedback following your stay with us.
We are of course disappointed to read that the location and product did not meet your expectations.
Please allow me to express my sincere apologies.
Feedback and observations are important to us, therefore please do contact me with details on
H3655-GM@accor.com in order to investigate which brochure or website is mis representing any of our services, location or room product which is also available on our own website.
Kind regards, Brian Opauak
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I choose this hotel as I was attending a family wedding at nearby Crowne Plaza Docklands. The price was considerably less than Crowne Plaza and write up indicated amenities were comparable. They weren't wrong! Good size double bed room with compact washroom. For those who prefer bathes this would not work as it's a walk in shower. However comments I heard from staying at the Crowne Plaza they would have preferred the walk in shower to their accommodation's offerings. Full breakfast buffet is available, which I obtained at a reasonable rate, but it is extra.

Room Tip: As for dockside view at back of hotel. View is excellent and less noisy.
Green Features: Although the hotel posted signage about recycling towels, which I followed, they replaced them each day.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Susan,
Thank you for choosing the ibis London ExCeL Docklands during your visit.
As a frequent traveller, I am pleased to read that the ibis product and service exceeded your expectations.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I chose this hotel more for proximity to London city airport and the rail network (dlr) as this trip I chose not to drive. But as soon as I got off the train at Custom House dlr station I knew I had made an excellent choice.

Just a few minutes walk from the station, walking past the ExCel exhibition centre, some wonderful sculptures commemorating the docklands in their hey day, and some well manicured gardens, th hotel is partially hidden by the Novotel.

The staff aare welcoming and a mine of useful infor.ation regarding the local area, transport links an the location of ATM machines (there isnt one in the hotel).

The rooms are very modern and fully featured as you would expect with this hotel brand. Although not the biggest room I have ever stayed in ther was ample room. The bathroom was the capsule type (just glass doors seperating the shower from the toilet and sink) but it was exceptionally clean and had everything you would need or expect in a bathroom except a bath! There is a conventional door seperating the bathroom from the main room so there is privacy.

The restaurant is well worth a visit with not only a great quality, wide ranging menu but also great value for money. The staff are very friendly and again very helpful, and will go out of their way to try and help even with a language barrier. The day I visited the waiter went out of his way to assist some Portuguese guests who spoke little/no English, the end result being they got the chicke dish they wanted and he learned some Portuguese. A lesser person would have given up or passed it to someone else to deal with but he went out of his way to ensure these guests were cared for and treated with respect. Very impressed.

To tthe views from the hotel are fabulous, looking out over the stunning redeveloped docks as well as to the right, the cable car to the Emirates centre.

All in all a great hotel with easy access to the city via the DLR as well as lots to see and do in the immediate area. There isnt any dedicated parking for this hotel but there is an NCP just a minutes walk fom the front door and I am told other parking further down the road (presumably to serve the various conference facilities in the area).

A taxi from the hotel to London City Airport cost £10 and took around 10 minutes with no traffic at 5am.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

ibisexcel, General Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Jude,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff looked after you during your stay.
Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.