“Very Pretty Room and Hotel”
Review of The Bentley London

The Bentley London
Ranked #277 of 1,067 Hotels in London
el dorado hills, ca
“Very Pretty Room and Hotel”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed in a junior suite. The room was a good size and was very pretty. It had nice charm and not the typical modern, boring furnishings.

We stayed for 3 nights on our way to Belgium and then 1 more night on our way back home. We were upgraded on our return.

The staff were wonderful!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank candacegar
PaulKennedy2010, Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your very kind review. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is my sincere hope that all of our guests have a wonderful stay with us & the team here are dedicated to delivering the finest service so that we do all we can to make that possible.

I was expecially pleased to note that you liked your room as our bedrooms are incredibly unique & we take huge pride in all of them.

I do hope that you will return to visit us very soon & I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Paul Kennedy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Greek first
Paris, France
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Everything about this hotel is structurally perfect: great location, nice classical building, large rooms. It is however so poorly managed that you should best avoid it. Service is close to non-existant. Order something and you'll get something else. Or nothing at all Continental breakfast at 10? They"l bruing you 2 English breakfasts at 11. A cab to the airport at 6? Better book it yourself. Room service is expensive, but unfortunaely not good. Obviously prepared by people who are not cooks. Over cooked steak with unde cooked fries? No thanks. Enjoy the old CRT TVs. They'll remind you of the 20th century. That's all they do though since the TV signal is so weak, that the images are full of noise. Except for Kuwait TV. But I dont watxh Kuwait TV. You'll love the personalised attention given to the greasy stationary, the half eaten pencil, the dirty room service menu. Dont complain though. Allegedgly everything is under control and it will never happen again. Except that its happened to me many times.

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank i-live-for-lunch
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read the different concerns that you raised regarding your stay with us.

It is my wish that all of our guests have a wonderful stay with us but it is clear that this is not the case for you & I am very sorry that things were not as they should have been.

I would be grateful if you would be kind enough to contact me directly so that I can address your concerns properly with you & if necessary investigate any areas of concern.

I look forward to hearing from you.

London
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I've not stayed overnight but visited this hotel at the weekend for Afternoon Tea with a group of friends (for my boyfriend's birthday!). After initial concerns regarding the formality of the booking - full pre-payment required due to it being classed as a group booking and a rather official looking contract to sign! - the afternoon itself went smoothly.
Staff very attentive and helpful, very professional service. The food served was lovely. The sandwich fillings weren't anything fancy but they were of good quality and the bread lovely and fluffy.
The scones were served with a mixed fruit conserve rather than jam, which I loved but was a bit sharp for some. The cakes were divine! They might have looked small but were incredibly rich and sweet, even we didn't manage to finish them all. A little plate of marble cake and fruit loaf was a nice final touch.
Not such a wide range of teas as I've had elsewhere but they were very nice and no quibbles at all about refills as I've experienced in some other hotels.

The decor of the hotel is beautiful and sumptuous. The only slight disappointment was that we were seated in the dining area with another large booking and it was slightly dark and not as special a feel as other areas of the hotel (although i fully understand why they seated us in the restaurant rather than the lounge, due to our numbers, so that smaller bookings could have more peace in the lounge!).
Popped briefly downstairs to look at the bar - wow, so beautiful! As was the decor of the bathrooms. We might not get many chances to stay in hotels such as these but afternoon tea is a great way to have a little taste of luxury! :-)

Room Tip: if booking for afternoon tea, request lounge seating if possible!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank vampyresheep
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive review of your visit to us for Afternoon Tea.

It is always refreshing to read that such nice comments & it is quite unique for us to receive a review from a non resident.

I do hope that you will consider returning to us as a guest in order to sample the full experience of the hotel.

Please contact me directly should you wish to make a reservation.

bentonville AR
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This is a well run hotel in London conveniently located by Gloucester Road tube station and on a quiet street. This is not a full service Hilton in the traditional sense and my designation as a boutique hotel does not mean to cut down the hotel in anyway it is more the size and feel of this hotel that leads to this description. It does have a restaurant and bar but in reality they are mainly used for breakfast or lunch. The breakfst is fairly good with sufficient service at hand. We enjoyed afternoon tea one day and while it is not Claridges it was certainly very good with polite and efficent service. In fact the service was pleasant all the way round - you just had to aks and it was done. Even to the point of a jacket sent by courier to our hotel in FRance after I left it at the hotel.

The bar is tucked away downstairs and that's a shame as it is magnificent. I went down just to admire it one evening - put this in Mayfair and it would be a very popular place - shame they cant find a way to utilize it more - fabulous.

Our 2 rooms I would call as no more than I would expect - I think there are bigger rooms but these were more their standard fare. Certainly not small but not enormous either - bathrooms were nicely appointed but had only single washbasins and only suitable for 1 person at a time. Water temp/pressure etc was fine. Rooms were quiet and comfotable, housekeeping was just fine.

I think we will return to this hotel, great location/staff/ambience and quiet. Lacks a bit of sizzle in the restaurant/bar department but actually I don't mind that - London has plenty to offer.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Liam B
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your very kind & positive review. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is our dear wish that all of our guests have a wonderful stay with us & the team here are dedicated to delivering the finest service so that we do all we can to make that possible.

You have made many observations about the hotel & I do agree with you that the bar would be extremely popular in the Mayfair area.

I do hope that you will return to visit us very soon & also that you will pop down to the bar for a drink to help us to create the atmosphere we are working hard to establish.

Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The rooms are comfortable, beautifully done, spacious, quiet, and well air-conditioned. The staff is wonderfully helpful and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Kensington. Just a block from the Gloucester Road tube station, with all sorts of shops nearby. A great experience.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank melh12345
PaulKennedy2010, General Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review.

I was so pleased to read all of the positive things you had to say & I am delighted that everything was to your satisfaction.

I was especially happy to read your notes about how helpful you found the staff to be.

It is our sincere wish that our guests enjoy their stay & I Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I "found' this place by accident after checking into another hotel and deciding not to stay. The Bentley is charming, beautiful and elegant. I was upgraded by Megha at reception and she was a delight to do business with.
The breakfast was lovely, they even had decaf (ground coffee) which is unusual to get in hotels.
The room/suite was beautiful and very quiet which i needed as I was there on business. I will be back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
PaulKennedy2010, General Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Dear Reviewer,

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to review The Bentley London.

It was very interesting to read that you found the hotel by accident but I am delighted that you did!

It is very kind of you to mention Megha & I have passed on your comments to her. It was also a pleasure to read your positive comments about breakfast.

I do hope that you plan to return to us in the near future.

Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Located in an upscale residential area, The Bentley turned out to be a perfect choice for a "bromantic" weekend in London. All through our stay we kept remarking how much it feels like an upscale condo more than a hotel. Although the hotel was full, we rarely saw and never heard any other guests. Check in was smooth and we received an upgrade to a junior suite (I'm a HHonors Diamond) which was perfect for our small group.of 3. Gloucester Road Tube Stop is about a block away and in that same area are a ton of decent restaurants, a Starbucks for the morning joe and most anything else you might need close to your room. We snuck out one night super late due to hunger and found an awesome fish&chips place. The room was luxurious and large for London standards, but the bathroom was the highlight. Separate huge jetted tub and giant size shower with a showerhead that will blow you over with pressure. I took some of the longest showers in years since it was so relaxing! TV was modern flat screen and wireless worked better than any hotel I've ever stayed. I'd have to struggle to find any faults, but I guess the one downside is that there really wasn't much of a view out any of the windows. I imagine that due to the location of their building, none of the rooms probably have much of a view of anything?This didn't matter to us as we were glad to be tucked in the back where it was quiet and peaceful. If a view out the window matters, you should probably check with the desk before booking? I can only speak for our room. We really liked the stay and would recommend it for anyone looking for an upscale, old world luxury experience. CPH

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your very kind & positive review.

It is delightful to hear so many positive comments about the hotel & it is especially pleasing to know that you really enjoyed your time with us here at The Bentley London.

I found it very interesting to read all of the details you provided regarding your stay & I do take your point about the view from the bedroom window. We do have rooms that over look the front of the hotel where we have views over a green area opposite the building.

Please do let us know when you plan to visit us again & we will ensure that you have the best view possible.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Bentley London.