“A delightful place for afternoon tea”
Review of The Bentley London

The Bentley London
Ranked #235 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 January 2014

A short walk from Gloucester Road tube, the Bentley is a delight. Warm welcome and shown through quickly to the lounge.
We had champagne and the glasses were a decent size, certainly not thimbles... There is a choice of teas and coffees as you would expect, and no shortage of supply. During our tea, we had two pots each, and were asked several times if we wanted more - all at no extra charge. The sandwiches were fresh, scones were tasty and the cakes just sweet enough to round off our meal.
The tables are well spaced so no sitting on each other's lap as you find in some hotels, and the staff were friendly and welcoming.
Our Afternoon Tea at the Bentley was a real delight.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin W
The Bentley Lon... A, Duty Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Martin W,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Bentley.

Please accept our sincere appreciation for your kind words. I am very glad that you enjoyed the Afternoon tea and that you were feeling comfortable.

We also appreciate your nice comments about our Team members who are always trying to do their best to deliver excellent service.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We booked for Afternoon Tea at The Bentley and while we really enjoyed the product served, scones were tasty and our waiter was a delight we were quiet disturbed by a gentleman that seemed to be the manager of the hotel. He was constantly standing in the lobby and Restaurant with his hands in the pockets just looking at everything and everyone in a strange way making all of us uncomfortable.
Even so, we had a lovely time. Thank you to all the staff for taking good care of us.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
The Bentley Lon... A, Duty Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Valerie A,

Firstly, may I thank you for your recent visit to The Bentley and your sincere feedback regarding your visit. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your afternoon tea and giving us a high rating on location and service which are the salient features of the hotel.

Additionally, i have taken a note of your feedback regarding the presence of one of our team members which caused some discomfort and distraction during your visit. Simultaniously,the time when we have a senior team members present in the lobby or public areas is when they may be ensuring a smooth running of the service during the busy hours.

I am sure that in all sincere efforts and intention any team member will not intend to cause any disturbance or discomfort to any of our guest but to ensure a smooth running of the service during the busy period.

Once again, thank you for you feedback and we will be looking forward to welcome you back.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My friends and I visited the Bentley for afternoon tea on Sat 4th Jan, we have to say it was very pleasant, the food was lovely and the staff were wonderful, they went out of there way to make the afternoon a very pleasant experience. No complaints at all. When we left , they even went out to the front of Hotel to call us a taxi, thankyou .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Chrystina A,

Thank you very much for your nice review and kind words. I am very happy to hear that you had a pleasant time and enjoyed the Afternoon Tea.

We appreciate your positive comments about the staff as it is very warming to know that our efforts to provide superior service represented in our team and that our guests enjoy the time at The Bentley hotel.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we will be looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Difficult to know where to start really.
First off, the location is perfect, close to the tube station (Gloucester Road), the Natural History Museum and the V&A and of course the usual shopping spots (Harrods etc.). The staff are very helpful and really are a key asset to the establishment.
However, and there is quite a list of however-s, the hotel is about the leave the Hilton Group and I wonder if it is a case of being asked to leave. I really got the impression that the hotel was just giving a sigh and going through the motions…..waiting to see what comes next. As the duty manager was reluctant to discuss which group the hotel was going to join I am not hopeful for a positive outcome. Then again they may decide to go it alone and go down the boutique hotel route. If this is the case, I do hope they do a well needed upgrade.
Let’s start with the hotel lobby, beautiful, airy and imposing. The issue here is the smell of the toilets wafting down from the 1st floor above. Please close the doors to the toilets folks, it does nothing for the ambiance.
We were in a room on the 6th floor. Access was perfect (via a stylish lift). The room itself was very small with too much furniture. The walls, although covered in (silk) fabric, clearly had not been upgraded in many years. The carpets were badly stained as was the headboard. The windows did not close properly resulting in a chilly nights sleep unless the heating/airco was switched on. Luckily I took my ear plugs as being on the flight path to Heathrow (then again in London when are you not on the flight path to Heathrow!), it was rather noisy. There had clearly been some water leakage as the window sill was badly damaged. Additionally, the windows had not been cleaned in… well they looked as if they had never been cleaned.
Moving to the bathroom, there was so many issues the list is too long to mention in totality (see photos). We drew the duty manager’s attention to the issues and she offered to have them repaired during our absence; really! You wanted to replace so much wood, paint it and expect us to put up with the smell of paint? No offer of another room in a hotel which clearly had low occupancy. The towels were frayed and when highlighted the duty manager did ensure they were replaced, with badly stained one. We finally gave up and used the stained towels.
Breakfast was strange, no one in the dining room. Cold (or should I call it European buffet breakfast as it was described on the first morning) options consisted of chewy wet sliced ham, tomatoes and cheese in small pre-wrapped squares….I don’t think so. Really Bentley, in a 5 star establishment....processed squares of cheese?

The concept of old world charm is a nice concept but with the change in group I hope that the Bentley also carries out a significant upgrade. The price quality ration is really not worth it and I would recommend waiting until the upgrade is finished before booking the hotel.

Just to state again, staff were super, thanks to all who made a potentially horrid stay more enjoyable; notable were Alex and Nico who organised really good restaurants at short notice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmsterdamAlex08
The Bentley Lon... A, Duty Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Amsterdam Alex 08,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Bentley.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your nice comments about our staff as it is very warming to know that our efforts to provide superior service and hospitality are being represented in our team. These positive feedback about the team are greatly appreciated and I have thanked them personally. Also I am glad to see your high ranking on location.

Please let me apologies for your experience with regards to the room condition and breakfast. I have addressed the issues and shared your constructive feedback with our Head Housekeeper, Restaurant Manager and Maintenance Manager who are aware of the situation and join me in apologizing for the disappointment caused to you on this occasion, albeit it is very rare that we receive negative comments on the quality of our rooms and I was sincerely disappointed to hear about your experience.

The hotel will not be a part of Hilton group from the end of January as you have heard and the information about new company has not been announced yet that was the reason why we could not confirm it to you.

I understand that the stay was not up to your expectations on this occasion but I want to assure you that this is not indicative of the usual standards that we provide.

Please let me apologize one more time and take this opportunity to say that I and the Team hope the above issues would not deter you from visiting our hotel again and that you will give us an opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel sometime in the near future.

I should be most grateful if you would contact me directly so I can ensure the hospitality you would expect from The Bentley London, A Hilton Hotel and make all the necessary arrangements together with preparing nice Suite and special treatment for your next visit as the apology from the hotel.

Thank you.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

a brilliant hotel in kensington. ideally situated in london and had a lovely front of house. The only thing was that in the bathroom the marble on the toilet did not meet up correctly with the wall as there was rather a large gab indicating shoddy workmanship which i would not expect in a 5 star suite.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
The Bentley Lon... A, Duty Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Mr Jack,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Bentley.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your nice comments about the hotel, location and our Front of House Team.

I appreciate your feedback about the bathroom issue which I have addressed to the Maintenance Manager. Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience.

Once again thank you for your review and we will be looking forward to welcome you back in the future.

Thank you.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 December 2013

the Hotel was mostly great. the staff were so polite and friendly. the room was clean, fresh, well designed and furnished. also the size of the room was on a good size which give more sense of comfort. I had a very enjoyable time there and would love to stay there again and I would recommending it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
The Bentley Lon... A, Operations Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Bentley. It is true that the hotel offers a great location and very spacious rooms throughout our 64 rooms and Suites. In addition a Victorian style décor and excellent service further adds up to the overall experience for all our guest.

Once again thank you for your review and we be looking forward to welcome you in the future.

Kind Regards
Apurv Singh
Operations Manager

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Got this through a Amazon deal. Very good value for money. The setting is your traditional tea room setting and very welcoming staff (Indre was brilliant).

The quality of the food was of very high standard and the selection of tea's were great.

We went slightly early so it was very quiet. But I believe it was due to the fact that it is the run up to Christmas and everybody was Christmas shopping!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Worldtravellerplus 77,

Please accept our most sincere appreciation for your kind words which was the result of your overall experience of the afternoon tea at The Bentley. I am also most happy to hear that you enjoyed the service, the food and the selection of teas we have to offer which i can certainly vouch for.

I will also agree with your feedback regarding "Indre" who is certainly a very experienced member of our team along with others who take great pride in delivering excellent service to all our guest.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we will be looking forward to welcome to again in the future.

Kind Regards