“Comfortable, clean and convenient for 02”

The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village
Ranked #350 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, clean and convenient for 02”
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Booked The Clarendon just for the one night to attend a midweek event at the 02 Arena. Four of us (family with son & daughter in 20s) decided to 'muck in together' in a quadruple room to cut costs and we were comfortable enough. In the past 2 years we've stayed at The Ibis in Greenwich which is usually about £70 per room so was costing us £140 for 2 rooms without breakfasts, whereas the quad room in The Clarendon was £125 (booked in advance) including breakfast which we thought was better value. Plus the parking was free aswell.

We arrived mid afternoon and were able to park in the hotel car park and had a very late lunch in the pub about 100 metres down the road, The Princess of Wales, which was pretty good for bar food (think they serve food all day). We drove to the 02 in the evening which took about 10 mins and was relatively easy as we'd already booked parking there in advance - £18 plus booking fee. It would have been easy to catch the bus though across the road from The Clarendon which runs about every 10mins. We did the next day when we went on the Emirates cable car over The Thames.

Our room was comfortable and clean enough with tea and coffee making facilities, chairs and table, flat screen TV, trouser press and a view to the hotel garden which meant it was probably quieter than being on the front of the hotel facing the road. We were in Room 83. Yes, the rooms are a little dated in decor, but the bathroom was modern and spotless. My son's bed was a bit drafty as it was immediately under the window (which wasn't double glazed) and it was a bitterly cold night, but the heating was belting out and we slept well enough in the comfortable beds.

Breakfast the next morning was fine, the usual buffet style cooked English. We had to wait a few minutes for a table which wasn't really a problem but might be for some people. The fruit selection was possibly a bit limited, but maybe it was because we were in the last half hour of breakfast being served. And we were amused by the disco ball still revolving on the ceiling - obviously the breakfast room doubles up as a function room in the evening.

Thought the position of The Clarendon looking over Blackheath was very nice, and Blackheath Village itself literally 2 mins walk away was good for a stroll with plenty of coffee houses and restaurants.

So overall, we were happy with our stay. Ok it's not The Ritz, but it was decent enough and reasonable value in London for four adults and we found the staff helpful with any questions. We'd definitely stay again if attending an event in the 02.

Room Tip: If traffic noise is an issue ask for a room at the back of the hotel. It is London after all.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
Dear Cowbridgelady
thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and found us easy for visiting the O2, just to advise you that if you book direct on our website or telephone us direct and let us know you are visiting the O2 we offer free return bus tickets. Can I also suggest that the next time you visit the O2, just time out to go on the cable car which is situated next to the O2 and goes over the Thames.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Have to agree with the review from the 31st Jan 2013. Hotel was very disappointing.

The Hotel is very dated and needs a refurb. We had the same experience with radiators making a noise and the single glazed windows made it noisy. There were blankets not duvets on the beds and uncomfortable old feather pillows.

When I looked in the car park there were about 20 transit vans and I thought they must be having work done. Later due to the noise and the conversations I could hear I assume they had a very high number of contractors just staying there but why with so many rooms did they not put them on a separate floor so they would not disturb anyone? When they left at around 0700 they made more noise.

Only good things were the location - hotel is very close to the train station and good walking distance to a few restaurants. The room was clean and the water was hot.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 153Spiders58
Dear 123 spiders
thank you for your review, I am sorr that you were not entirely happy with your stay. we have change most of the hotel over to duvets now, however many guest still ask for blankets. I am sorry that the radiators were a little noisey, there are certain times of the year when we need to bleed them, all radiators have had this done now, which has stopped most noise.
We have many customer types at the hotel, as the area has many building projects going on at present i.e cross rail and a few other projects.
I am certainly glad you had positives regarding your stay and I am glad you thought the hotel was clean and enjoyed the area.
Glasgow
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Great hotel in a trendy location close to rail links into central London.
Staff were friendly and the wee bar downstairs opened till late and you could get decent pub grub at the bar.
Ticks all the boxes if you are doing the tourist thing or are just messing around in the Blackheath area.
Breakfast was plentiful and excellent.

Room Tip: Clarendon wing at the rear and downstairs to avoid foot traffic.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cloudwalkerglasgow
Dear Cloudwalker
Thank you for taking the time for your review, I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. As you say we are excellently placed for visiting the many tourist attraction in the area.
I am also glad you enjoyed the food in the bar, eavery week we do some specials, this week it is Brasied Ham Hock with a butter bean stew - feeling hungrey?
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Where to start... I booked this hotel as had to be in London on business, and the next day was due to attend an exhibition at the Excel. There was hardly any hotel rooms availability around Excel, apart from highly expensive options. Then I found the Clarendon in Blackheath. Read mixed reviews, but lots of positive ones. Coincidentally I have wanted to try the Emirates Air Line (North Greenwich to Royal Docks), and read of the good bus service from the hotel to North Greenwich, so thought for the bargain price of £69 I'd give it a whirl... how bad could it be?

It was, and I clearly wish I hadn't given it a whirl... check in was fine and staff were courteous... was given a single room on the first floor at the rear of the hotel (118). On arrival, the room clearly had a few items that shouldn't still be in the room. Another guest's shoes and a jacket (Why??). The banging noises coming from the radiator (despite me turning the radiator off) were going to be a real problem, so asked to move, and was relocated to 326, overlooking the green. I dropped my bag off and went straight out. The bus did run from right outside the hotel, and got the Jubilee line into Westminster very rapidly for the evening business meeting.

It was only on return that I realised that the 'secondary double glazing' in the bedroom wasn't there! One of the window panes was cracked, and had been sellotaped over, there was a considerable draft coming in, and more noticeably you could hear all the traffic go by...

Got an extremely poor night's sleep... an extractor fan from a nearby room kept coming on, and making a horrendous noise, guests walking along the corridor sounded like elephants plodding along due to creaky floorboards... because of the problem with the lack of soundproofing, traffic noise started in anger around 5.30am...

Breakfast was fine and included in the £69 price.

So, to summarise: unacceptable noises throughout the night, pipes banging, unbelievably noisy extractor fans... apart from the free wifi, I would NOT recommend to anybody staying on business...

To keep the review balanced... on the plus side:
- the bed was comfortable (although didn't sleep much)
- the hotel does have a nice location overlooking the park
- the breakfast was fine
- the rate was good
- the bus (to North Greenwich) is right outside the hotel, and they run fairly frequently

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank JohnnyMas
Dear Johnnymass
Thank you for your feedback, I am certainly glad you took the time to inform me of your stay.
I have looked into some of your issues and certainly agree that the rooms were not ready to be let at that time, as some repairs were needed.
Iagain thank you for your time in this review, we will certainly act on the issues.
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The Clarendon Hotel is in a superb location in a superb London village. If travelling to London you could not find a better location, the village has restaurants, London pubs, lovely heath and Greenwich park on its doorstep. Travel links to central London are excellent. The hotel itself is excellent value with car parking if you need it. Some of the rooms are 'tired looking', you can't pretend they are not.. Having said that, the trouser press, hairdryer, TV and kettle are all there. The staff are very friendly without being over attentive. Breakfast was fresh and buffet style so you can take as much as you want - although the fruit selection was a bit on the boring side. Dinner in the hotel was reasonably priced and freshly cooked. Again, the waiting staff were friendly and attentive. If you want a high price gleaming hotel devoid of character perhaps this is not the one for you, however if like me the important things are fair price, feeling comfortable, great location, good food and decent enough rooms then the Clarendon is the one to choose. I grew up in this part of London and the Clarendon has always been a fine hotel with a true London character.

Room Tip: a couple in our party were placed on the 3rd floor which was too cold, were moved without any probl...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dear Maurren M
Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay, the hotel is a traditional hotel and I try to reflect this with good honest service and wholesome food, which I know you found.
I am looking at the bedrooms to see what refruibishments can be made very soon,
'You can take the girl out of London, but you cannot take London out of the girl'
london
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I arrived at the hotel and there was a issue with my company booking no worries .It was a handled very professionally and sorted out with a upgrade to a crown room Room clean and good size Food used the restaurant and the service was attentive without being overpowering a 2course dinner in London under £20 and it was very good Breakfast self service with a good choice This hotel has had some negative comments all I can say it is a lovely Georgian hotel overlooking blackheath that is good value for money with 1st class service

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Skyblue87
thank you for your review, I am glad we sorted out your booking without to much fuss.
I am also please you enjoyed all your stay and our food, everything is homemade and local if possible. We have been changing our weekly specials to included a special homemade sausage from our butchers - as I am writing this we are serving this week a Cumberland Sausage with bubble & sqweak Mash, with crispy sharllots and gravy - hungry?
camberley
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Booked this at the last minute to make staying in London on New Year's Eve easier. Knew we would have to pay a premium price as there weren't many rooms left in London at all. The Clarendon is great for location, 2 mins to Blackheath station with good links to London and great for walking to Greenwich and the Cutty Sark which we visited on New Year's Day. The car park was a real bonus and we managed to park there and leave the car whilst we went out celebrating. Our room was large but with a tiny bathroom which had an unpleasant drain type smell. The room definitely needs a refurbishment but was okay for one night. Breakfast was great with good friendly service. For one night this hotel was fine, not sure I would have been impressed with the room if I was staying longer, the unpleasant smell in the bathroom would definitely not be acceptable.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple