“Reception staff dreadfull” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #354 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Burnley, United Kingdom
“Reception staff dreadfull”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed for a month through work location is great few nice pubs n restaurants nearby all the waiting staff and cleaning staff are very nice and helpful but and a big but is most of the reception staff are rude not at all helpful and as a result I won't be stopping there again . The owner is very nice so can't understand how he lets his staff loose him business as I've read lots of reviews about reception staff.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Bigt1882
Thank you for your review, as per your work colleague that posted the previous review. I have spoken to him, and we went through the main issue you had. On your first visit of 28 days you were upgraded to a large room, but your second visit you were placed in the room booked by your company, that you did not think was big enough. I have spoken to your colleague who explained that he felt the receptionist that dealt with this issue, did not deal with you well. For which I will follow up. Thank you for your comments on how nice other department staff were.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Polish first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed here overnight during a business trip. The car park was full but I managed to squeeze into it. Room was small but clean and adequate for me. Wi-fi is good and free and I also had a couple of beers in the bar with peri-peri chicken which I really enjoyed. I had a small walk into the village to off-licence so I could enjoy a couple of beers whilst checking my emails - there are quite a few bars / places to eat. Sleep was comfortable enough but shower was in dire need of some power - I stood directly under it and it took some time to shower due to the trickle of water coming from it. Breakfast was good and have to say that overall, it was ok.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank William B
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear William B
Thank you for your review, and your comments. Perfect that you found a space in our car park. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed our chefs special of peri peri chicken and took advantage of our EE free wifi. (I have just finished typing this weeks specials - Chili Pork sausages and mash - homemade steak & Kid pie - and my favorite - calf's liver with smoked bacon and creamy mash ) I am very sorry about the shower, we have had new boilers fitted, which has improved the hotel showers , however we are now finishing this project of with extra pumps. Blackheath village is always a special find for most people when in London, and it is great you took advantage of visiting a few places. Once again thank you for your review.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Arrived at the reception with a baby in a pushchair. Woman greeted me by saying 'yes' with an attitude. I said i want a room for me and the baby. She said so what you want?cot bed? Which i found very rude. She was miserable through out the whole time. I asked if it was ok to park in their car park she said depends?i asked what that meant she said if your blocking anyone then your ok. The whole converstion was sharp and rude. She asked me for car reg numbr i said i didnt know it she said well i cant check you in then. I said you have stairs on your entrance i straggled with buggy and bags im not going out again in the cold. She then said well leave your baby here!!! I went crazy how could she tell me that. I shouted and said get someone to go out and check it!!! Which in the end she did. She gave me the key and didnt direct me to my room. I asked where the lift was and she said there wasnt one! I asked hiw i was going to my room with the baby and the bags she didnt reply. I just walked off as i was very tired and carried bags up and buggy all bymyself. It disnt end here i walked in to my double room which was so small no room for the buggy. No fridge for me to store babys milk. Dirty old kettle with dirty cups. Dirty curtains with holes in it. Got in bed and it stunk of bio. Had to put babys blankets down so we could lay on them. Then i started itching badly i felt disgusted. 4 am in the morning packed everything and left with no sleep. This evening cost me £100 and this is the service i received. So people do you still want to stay here???!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
9 Thank cypri0t
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Dear cyriot
Thank you for your review, I am extremely disappointed about the service you received during your stay. I certainly would like to investigate this further for us and allow me to report back to you. my email is ken@clarendonhotel.com . If you could email me when you stayed etc please. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

If you're looking for easy, free transport to the O2, a comfy bed, clean bathroom and good breakfast in relatively quiet surroundings this is the place for you !
If you want fast broadband, ipod dock, rainforest shower, spa bath and cutting edge interiors then maybe not. Neither is there a nearby tube.
Easy train journey from Charing Cross, London Bridge. 15mins to the O2 on the 108 24hr bus right outside.
Fast check in, no queuing for breakfast.
In this location you could easily pay double for something half as good !

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room and you might get a free upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear AileenP
Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we were ideal for your visit to the O2.
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Polite and helpful staff greeted us at the check in desk. Our room was comfortable and quiet. The facilities all did what they said on the tin and the breakfast was out of this world.The bus stop for the 108 to the 02 was opposite the hotel and just down from the hotel coming back. Car parking is £4.00 for 24 hours at the weekend at Blackheath train station ( 10 minutes max away) if you can't park at the hotel. Thanks everyone for a great stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are traffic noise free.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear 187497Barcelona
Thank you for your review of the Hotel. We are all very pleased here to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel suited your purpose when visiting the O2.
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have stayed here on business several times but visited with my wife and daughter on a Saturday night as accommodation for the O2. The bus stop is just outside the hotel and free tickets were provided. Rooms are basic but clean. Service was helpful and friendly. The bar is dowstairs and dismal but the Princess of Wales is only yards away - try it. Cannot comment on the food other than breakfat which was a typical full english buffet - sausages are dire! You may also choose poached haddock, kedgeree etc. Parking is limited to a few places at the front and rear. The upside is the location and if I am in the area again, I will return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pylesy
Dear Plyesy
Thank you for your review, and thank you for using us when visiting the O2. I am also glad to see that you took advantage of getting free bus tickets from us, because you booked direct.
I am glad you mentioned that our sausages were not as good as they should be. We use a local butchers so I was surprised (not mass catering supplied) when we followed up your comment, we found that the last couple of batches were not as we normally have. - so thank you once again.
Did you get a chance to visit our new lounge next to the bar which we just finished.
regards Ken Milton
Shipley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

My wife and I stayed for a single night at this hotel on 21st December 2013. The hotel is well located in the attractive area of Blackheath. Reception was reasonably friendly. Our room was large, comfortable and clean although the bathroom was rather small in comparison and just a little shabby. In all other respects we thought the accommodation was good value. The breakfast offered on the following day was excellent with plenty of choice rangin from a full English to a variety of healthier options. The breakfast room seemed to be well run.
Overall, the value was good and we would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Peter W
Thank you for your review of the hotel. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you get the chance to visit Blackheath Village again and once again stay with us. I have noted your comment on the bathroom and once again thank you for taking the time to review us.