“Great hotel in fabulous location”

The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village
Ranked #361 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Ilfracombe
“Great hotel in fabulous location”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night. Paid an extra charge of £10 for a ground floor room overlooking the attractive walled garden. The room was huge as were the beds.The bathroom was a very good size and perfectly clean. Our room had been recently decorated.The breakfast was substantial with plenty of choice. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the service was excellent.I would happily stay there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank David P
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear David P
Thank you for your review. So pleased you enjoyed the hotel and Blackheath.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Polish first
Bucks
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Probably about the best thing about this hotel is its' position with wonderful views to All Saints Church and Blackheath. We stayed for one night as it was very convenient for a funeral we were attending. The room was very tiny on the third floor in the eves, certainly not big enough for a double and would be far too hot to stay in, in the summer because the window was tiny too. The bed and shower room were clean and adequate. The radiator valve was missing but fortunately as my husband is a heating engineer, he managed to turn the radiator off. If he had not, I would not have been able to sleep as it was next to the bed and was extremely hot!
However, we did like the public rooms and the breakfast was excellent with a very good selection to choose from.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank K3ntishmaid
Dear k3ntishmaid
Thank you for your review of your stay. I am sorry you found your room on the small side. We do have a mix of rooms, especially in the Georgian part of the hotel. So pleased you enjoyed Blackheath, and our public areas and restaurant, I just wished you were visiting the area for a better reason.
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Currently still staying here and really wish I could move to a different hotel but don't want to trek across London on my own with bags and a toddler!

First room disgustingly dirty - stained and dirty carpets, bedding had blood stains, bathroom dirty.

Second room appeared better however - broken window, we discovered last night that when the toddler wanted to get under her covers instead of sleep pod the amount of stains and the blood stains on the valence. Radiators dirty, bathroom dirty, cups and saucers also dirty.

Common word being used here - Dirty

Breakfast room - the walls dirty with food stains, staff rude, hot chocolate served cold with powder not mixed in. Breakfast average.

This hotel is aimed at workmen and not families or couples!

I can't wait to check out tomorrow!

• Stayed May 2014
6 Thank vegasbex
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear vegasbox
thank you for your review, it seemed that my first reply to your review was not correct, as I thought you were another guest who's child was exploring the hotel, and we wanted to keep an eye on the child. As you point out this was not you. I am sorry that I had replied in correctly and that the child in question was not yours. I am also sorry if you were offended by this. .
As mentioned in my email I would also like to apologies for your experience at the hotel and have asked for more information regarding your stay.
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Our stay was eventful to say the least!

After arriving back from a 50th Birthday party just down the road we went back to our Suite no.85, around half 2 Sunday morning there was an awful racket coming from the suite upstairs (loud music, shouting, sounded as if they were moving furniture back & forth) called reception to ask them to have a word, the response I got from the gentleman on reception was 'there is a function going on, what do you want me to do!?'...the two men on reception came down to our room to listen to what we was having to put up with and eventually, reluctantly agreed to have a word with the upstairs suite....cut a long story short this went on for about an hour, us ringing reception, going down to reception, me going up to the room.....the police getting called !!!
The evening staff were down right rude and very unhelpful, when I went to reception in the morning to get the name of a manager and to tell them that we wouldn't be paying the full price for the room (which was £160) the woman on reception told me that due to the circumstances she would be able to knock £20 off bringing the price down to £140.....£140 for a room that I didn't get a wink of sleep in...what an insult!!!!
I explained to the woman that we wouldn't be paying anything & left, since then I have spoken to the manager this morning Ken who was very apologetic.
Would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jessica H
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Jessica H
As per our conversations, we did have a guest staying in a room that seemed intent to have friends and make noise in their room. Thank you for your comment about myself and of course an apology was needed, but my staff tried very hard with diplomacy and many efforts to control the situation. I am just sorry that some guest were not understanding of others.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

I am absolutely speechless about the state of this hotel. Damaged, filthy, neglected and overpriced.

1. Stinky bedroom.
2. Door safe locked damaged.
3. Walls cracked.
4. Radiator knob missing
5. Wardrobe door not working properly.
6. Desk drawers not working properly.
7. One socket near desk.
8. Damaged chair.
9. Damaged bathroom window.
10. Damaged bathroom doors.
11. Single glazing.

Cleanliness ( what cleanliness !!!!) dust everywhere, dirty linen and nets, dirty shower, hairs in sink, dirty tiles, dirty kettle, dirty bin

No air condition !

Reminds me more hostel than hotel.

I spend 10 years in hotel industry and dear reviewer trust me. You do not want to stay in this place !!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank Sebastiansek83
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Sebastiansk83
Thank you for your review, and also taking the time to correspond with myself. As I mentioned, I am sorry about the issues with your room. The hotel is currently refurbishing, with new bedroom decor, a new accessible more floors lift, new boilers and new sash windows. Once again thank you for taking the time to write to myself.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed in a family room, 186. The room was clean and adequate. Free parking was a bonus. Helpful staff and tasty breakfast. The only downside was the double bed, 2 singles pushed together and it dipped in the middle. Quite uncomfortable. Other than that we had a nice stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kalisi75
Dear Kalisi75
Thank you for your review, I am pleased you found our family room ideal for your purpose. These are popular with the connecting door. I am also pleased you enjoyed our breakfast - most items are purchased local suppliers, using good ingredients. It sounds like the family room have a 'zip and link bed' I will look into these beds and how they lay.
Once again thank you
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Our stay was quite good, the reception staff were helpful on arrival. Room although small and felt like it was in the roof was good and clean. Breakfast was good, lots of choice and the staff were very helpful bringing pots of tea when needed. Only downside was the bathroom shower was clogged up with what I think was limescale so water didn't come out all the holes and is attached to wall so couldnt move also to get hot water you need to turn the hot tap on and bathroom door wouldn't close. Overall though a nice hotel and blackheath is a nice quiet escape from central london.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anna T
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Anna T
Thank you for your review, and that you enjoyed the hotel. I would like to address the issue you raised, if you could email your stay details I would be most grateful - ken@clarendonhotel.com