“Not the best place for a good night's sleep”

Travelodge London Central Kings Cross
Ranked #626 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Whilst Travelodge is a no-frills chain, my stay here was not *that* much cheaper than more luxurious alternatives nearby, and they could do so much better. The receptionist was friendly and helpful, the room was clean (except that the dirty towels from the previous occupants had been left in addition to the clean ones that were provided) and the bed comfortable. However, the soundproofing of the room was very poor. Even with the secondary glazing shut (leaving me with little ventilation on a warm night), I could still hear the noise from the street outside; and noise from elsewhere in the hotel was also audible. When I mentioned these things, the receptionist was very apologetic and promised to e-mail me a voucher off my next stay at a Travelodge. So far this has not been forthcoming, but we shall see. Conclusion: not downright bad, but there are better options locally.

Room Tip: You can call the hotel and ask for a "quiet" room if that is what you want, but I am not s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,366)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel solely because my elderly mother insisted on staying here after she read an out-of-dated London travel guidebook from Taiwan. It is very close to Kings Cross Train Station and the Underground. However, it is very overpriced and not very comfortable.

The staff at the reception are generally friendly. They also offer jars of water at the reception area.

There are too many doors in their corridor and we had to open at least three doors to get to our room. It is inconvenient when you carry a very large suitcase. The doors are also too heavy that my elderly mother has problems to push them opened.

I also have problem with their Wi Fi service. I have paid one day's usage of internet (3 pounds) when I checked in; however, when I tried to log in to use the internet in my own room, I was asked my credit card detail again and ended up charged the second time. This should not happen, there should be voucher code given at the front desk. Later that night, the internet became very slow and I could hardly upload and download any data. It was not a pleasant experience.

Usually there are many B & B and small guesthouses near Kings Cross Station and I would rather stay at these places. Unfortunately, my mother cannot stay at any place with shared bathroom and she also prefers to stay at a chain hotel. We ended up pay more money and have a less pleasant experience.

Room Tip: The Wi Fi should be free. If they decide to charge 3 pounds per day, the quality should be improved.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Saricie_Q
Reviewed 8 July 2014

room typical travelodge so its what was expected.noise from underground at rear of hotel,where room was is unacceptable. dining area poor as was choice of food. no evening meal to speak of and staff member disinterested when we entered area. no menu in room anyway so assume evening meals do not exist

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
TravelodgeUK, Nicolas from Customer Services at Travelodge London Central Kings Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

We are sorry to learn of the attitude of the staff you experienced at our hotel during your stay Robert K. We would expect our staff members to be polite, welcoming and maintain a high level of professionalism at all times. We also require a high level of customer service from our staff in our Bar Cafes and indeed throughout all our hotels. Furthermore, the food that we offer is standardised across all our hotels and our staff are trained in how to prepare and present the food. We would like to provide a resolution for the issues you have raised. Please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to provide us with more details and when doing so please specify you have left a TripAdvisor review.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here for one night in order to be at St Pancras International the next morning. Hotel is basic but the room and bathroom were very clean, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the receptionist was pleasant and helpful. It was very noisy as our room overlooked the railway line but the trains stopped running at about 11 p.m. so we got some sleep until they started again at about 5 a.m. It was only a short walk to St Pancras. All in all we were very satisfied - and thought £59 for a double room in central London was a real bargain.

Room Tip: Ask about noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed in this Travelodge the night before catching Eurostar. The room we had was clean, fairly large and more than adequate for a one night stay. We were able to walk to St Pancras in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 6 July 2014

A very disappointing hotel room, down in the basement with no elevator and no help. When I asked if there was a lift and pointed out my heavy suitcase the receptionist said "It's only a few stairs!" and then walked away.
I walked down two flights of stairs and then had to negotiate a door and a corridor which was very badly signposted.
The room was damp and dirty. See photos attached.
I decided to try out the restaurant. I asked at reception where it was and was told "Upstairs" and of course there was no elevator. I got up to the restaurant to find a sign which said "The restaurant and bar are currently unmanned, if you need anything ask at reception"!!!!
I went out for dinner.
From 7.30am there was loud talking laughing and banging of doors as the housekeeping staff went in and out of their office - just beside my room! Every time their door was banged closed, the door of my room banged too!
I asked at reception if I can request a different room on my next visit and the blond 'head of reception' walked away and ignored me. I left.
I will not go back ever and in fact no one should.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BusyMStirling

Thank you for your review BusyMStirling. We are truly sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do not expect our staff to be rude but to be friendly, welcoming and offer assistance at all times so it is regrettable to learn that you did not receive a high level of customer service during your stay. Furthermore, we require all our rooms to be cleaned to a high standard of cleanliness so we are really concerned to learn of the condition your room. We would like to sincerely apologise for the experience you had and we would like to take the opportunity to investigate your concerns in more detail so we would very much appreciate it if you would visit our website and use the Contact Us button to provide us with more details. Please indicate that you have left a TripAdvisor review.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

This hotel is slap bang next to a night club, and the rooms don't seem to have controllable heating/aircon and even though we stayed in the cooler months the room was far to stuffy so we had to choose between sweating to death or being kept up by the music and fighting outside the night club. Then when the commotion of the night club stops the early morning trains start running so again waking us up.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple